The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Standing up against Nannies > Comments

Standing up against Nannies : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 10/3/2017

I can't say that I am an authority on Wicked camper vans, but I haven't seen any homophobic ones, or violent ones, or racist ones, or misogynist ones.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All
To Diver Dan.

The fact that the public does have standards of behaviour has nothing to do with the nanny state, or political correctness. In western society, people may not walk around nude, although discreet nude beaches may exist. Urinating, defecating and having sex are all natural things which people do, but not in public.

Bikinis can be worn on the beach, but not in a church or a shopping centre. I actually witnessed two young girls about 15 years of age walk into the North Rocks shopping centre wearing nothing but bikinis. They didn't get more than 30 metres inside the front door before women started shouting at them to "get some clothed on!" I laughed as the girls made a hasty retreat.

On NSW State Rail there were once advertising posters asking the question in giant letters ERECTION PROBLEMS? These posters are no longer in extant, probably because of an outcry by the very public into who's faces this offensive question was being asked. I actually saw the consequences of this sign which for a few weeks graced a station underground wall at Sydney's Wynyard Station.

While going home from work, and wondering at what level of IQ the person had who approved this sign at a public station, I observed a very well dressed man with three well dressed little girls come up the station stairs. The girls were all about 10, probably his daughter and a couple of her friends on an outing with daddy. The four of them turned and were confronted by the sign which was right in their faces, 3 metres high and 5 metres long. The painfully embarrassed man then shepherded the little girls away from the offending sign.

People with children should not have to be confronted with that. I felt for the man and the little girls.

The protection of children from offensive and vulgar messages crosses the political divide. Parents and grandparents of both the Left and the Right persuasion would find common ground on that.
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 13 March 2017 12:44:19 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy