The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Decriminalising drugs > Comments

Decriminalising drugs : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/3/2017

We should remind ourselves that the problem of ice is occurring despite it being illegal.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Quite how much evidence do we need?
Despite it being counter-intuitive to many, prohibition consistently fails, the War on Drugs has been lost, and those countries, states and counties that have decriminalized drugs (alongside mandatory counseling and so forth in some circumstances) have seen reduced addiction levels, criminal profits and related crime.
The trick is the hard slog of selling it politically.
Hats off to David for starting to make the case.
Posted by Toby Ralph, Monday, 6 March 2017 3:02:49 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I agree with the contents of this article, but I think that the good Senator is wasting his political credit and energy on esoteric fringe issues, such as drugs and guns.

How about if, before ensuring that all bad people also get their deserved-or-undeserved freedoms, our good and only libertarian Senator changed his priorities and first fought to protect the freedoms of ordinary good people who harm no one and risk no one, so they are free to go about their lives without having to encounter the government and its restrictions round every corner?!
Posted by Yuyutsu, Monday, 6 March 2017 3:30:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Decriminalising street drugs at least, is in the wings because this must happen before they can go cashless otherwise people would not be able to pay for them.

We can see this decriminalisation already starting through the mysterious recent discovery by the mainstream medicine of the medicinal beenfits of the happy weed plant. Something that most people who take responsbility for their own heath found out long ago.
Posted by Referundemdrivensocienty, Monday, 6 March 2017 7:27:46 PM
The problem with drugs in our community, is the hypocrisy of those complaining about the problem.
It's always "other" bad people that do the "bad" things in life!

Hands up on this site, all who don't drink alcohol. 2% raise their hands. Hands up those that do not attend clubs and pubs. 10% my considered guess.

Drugs are acceptable in this culture, get over it!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 7 March 2017 6:24:32 AM
Dear Dan,

«Hands up on this site, all who don't drink alcohol. 2% raise their hands. Hands up those that do not attend clubs and pubs. 10% my considered guess.»

My hand is up on both accounts.

«Drugs are acceptable in this culture, get over it!»

While the culture may be corrupt, drugs are unacceptable to me: I will not befriend people who take drugs, but neither should drugs be prohibited by law.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 7 March 2017 6:43:00 AM
We're both on the same page. We have a legitimate rite to comment on this issue, since neither of us are addicted to alcohol. (And I'd assume you are not a "cone head" either, or is that a bad assumption).

Drugs should be illegal, all drugs, especially alcohol!
The alcohol industry should be criminalised, and anybody found distilling illegal alcohol, should be beheaded before the football game in the local sports ground. (I'm all in favour of increased immigration of Muslims, for their moral stand against alcohol, and other such anti social vices. Muslims are devout, as opposed to Christians. We can issue 457 visas for Muslim swords man to fill the role)!

And if this society wishes to deal with the ice problem, then Muslims should be permitted to lop the heads from a predetermined number if Chinese, randomly picked from our communities, before the same weekend football match, as we watch the ice problem evaporate. Violence works!
Posted by diver dan, Tuesday, 7 March 2017 7:31:54 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy