The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The empty sea > Comments

The empty sea : Comments

By John Fairfax, published 1/3/2017

Photo evidence of beached whales shows evidence of starvation, sunken areas of body, less rounded body, emaciation.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
All so true, Armchair.

Nation building could include running excess wet season water off the top of the catchment in the NQ Gregory Range, south via steel aqueduct to the Murray Darling catchment inland from Frazer Island. That would help provde water for the Coorong that is supposed to be producing food for ocean fish and animals.
Use of steel would significantly stimulate the steel industry and economy, at the same time rehabilitating ocean catchment ecosystems.

But Malcolm is not following up on the Abbott Agricultural White Paper initiatives. Neither is mainstream media. Especially the publicly resourced ABC.

Out in the Pacific, Radio Australia short wave had been turned off apparently due to cost while the ABC manager has recived a pay rise to near one million. Yet China Radio International short wave remains and often asks for innovative suggestions to help build China.

What is happening to Australia?
Posted by JF Aus, Thursday, 2 March 2017 11:11:23 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Concerning warnings by academics about the state of the ocean, including whale numbers as raised by Curmudgeonathome at the bottom of page one of this thread, here is some insight.

I once said to a very experienced marine biology professor, that I had read that marine science barely knows the basic biology of life in the sea.
That professor replied to me, saying, "That is not correct, science knows less than that".

I have read that some scientists query the reported increase in whale numbers, on grounds the reported increase is too much too quickly.
I think numbers being counted could include whales coming from other regions in search of food, thus it may appear numbers are increasing.
Great white sharks are now known to be travelling from Australia to the coast of Africa, obviously for food and not as tourists.
So I do not see how any true academic could prove an increase or recent decline of whales.

Even if whale populations are increasing or stable that does not discount starvation of whales and under-nutrition and death among other animals and seafood dependent people. Best see:

http://news.stanford.edu/news/2007/september12/whales-091207.html
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 3 March 2017 8:53:32 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't go to Church but I thank God for this website of OLO allowing this story to be told.
Here is a little more.

http://www.kcet.org/redefine/southern-resident-killer-whales-are-dying-of-starvation

That KCET report has focus on dams being the problem, whereas some salmon fishermen (and I) think food for salmon at sea may be the problem.
The dams have been there for some time whereas worldwide devastation of oily small fish in the food-web is even impacting salmon aquaculture in Scotland.
Posted by JF Aus, Friday, 3 March 2017 9:11:43 AM
Instead of the Narcissists, trying to attract admiration, and thus Narcissistic Supply, by saving the world, better for them to accept the world, as it is, and get treatment.

Sooner than later PLEASE.

There, problems solved!
:-)
Posted by fool on hill, Tuesday, 7 March 2017 12:07:51 PM
fool on hill.

Are you able to comment on the evidence at the links in the article?
Posted by JF Aus, Tuesday, 7 March 2017 12:23:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy