The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Mating, the core of it all > Comments

Mating, the core of it all : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 10/2/2017

But in all of them, to repeat, the real and sometimes hidden engine of social life is the production of children and their maturation into adults.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Causing what Alan.

There has been no warming for 17 years, except for that way below the error bars, generated in the NASA computers, by "scientists" terrified their gravy train will have it's wheels used for fence posts down Mexico way.

Tho noisy academics are worried they might have to do some real research. That would be hard for many of them, it's such a long time since they did any.

All of Europe, Asia, Russia & North America is trying to borrow shovels to dig themselves out of the snow & ice, it is only little old Oz that's a bit hot, thanks to our Tasman blocking high.

Meanwhile CO2 is almost up above starvation level for flora, the deserts are greening, & despite ratbag greenie predictions, the dams are full.

If we can just stop wasting money on damn fool windmills, we could fix the budget, & life will be great.

Wonder if Don Quixote would be interested in a contract to get rid of South Australia's useless expensive windmills.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 11 February 2017 1:22:59 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Do I Phanto...you do jump to silly conclusions....but thanks for your misdirected sympathy, (I'll take that anyway).

But I am intreagued to know why you appear to have abandoned the concept of family. And what Condition exactly, should supersede the family unit as priority?
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 11 February 2017 1:44:02 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
diver dan:

If they were silly conclusions you would not feel the need to defend yourself.

I never said I abandoned the concept of family. I said we are not hard wired to find a mate and create a family. I don't have an issue with families just people who think they are the only way to live and who think that those who do not live that way are not to be treated equally.

Why do you think family units should be given priority? Many people have grown up in institutions and have gone on to be exemplary citizens so it is not necessary to be a part of a family.
Posted by phanto, Saturday, 11 February 2017 3:29:58 PM
Well Hasbeen old mate, I completely concur with your attitude and opinion of windmills; and probably useless in real competitive terms, with peak load power. Which can include clean coal.

I was reading an article in a scientific journal several years ago, as memory serves, where a Boston firm where trialling biosequestration with algae.

Apparently the best method includes large clear plastic pipes where nutrient loaded water and algae circulate. With enough nutrition injected to keep the (seed base) algae alive? With seawater able to grow oil rich algae, to replace fully imported fuel for whoever.

Company spokesperson coming on air and claiming, even with fuel excise added, large scale production could supply a superior, better lubricating ready to use, essentially unrefined product for 44 cents a litre. Or around #6.60 or thereabouts per barrel? Biodiesel or jet fuel!

Some algae are up to 60% oil and with the sundried product crushed for its oil content, the remaining biomass suitable for a food and arable land free, ethanol industry.

With the remanent sludge able to support biological digesters and a biogas/methanol industry; and for far less water use (2-3%) than any comparable irrigation project, where effluent would be automatically preferred, as essentially borrowed, cleaned and returned to the nearest convenient waterway, as reuseable water.

This would likely put clean coal up as eminently doable and able to compete with anyone or anything and get all its profits from the Co2 extraction facilities.

All that prevents it is the vested interests of (debt laden) foreigners and their lick spittle political servants?

If all our Co2 emission were treated in this manner, we'd not only create a competitive clean coal scenario other nations could follow, but become essentially self sufficient in all a liquid or gas fuel supplies indefinitely!

But particularly if all our biowaste could be added to the last industrial digester supported process! And that's where foreign based vested interest kicks in, with a little help from its moribund, self serving friends and effectively prevents or stymies all or any of it?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 11 February 2017 4:17:29 PM
Phanto...

The priority list!
Families have an obvious priority in society, above all else. They are the nurturers of the next generation in any given society.
Let's look at many of the animal kingdom, where the family is often given no priority.
Cats for example. A Tom cat will kill and eat the kittens of a female cat if it can!
And without enlarging on that theme, for the sake of brevity, don't you think the vulnerability of baby humans deserves a better than average generous chance at survival than any other member of society?

And the only care I have Phanto is understanding your strange abandoning of the family in society, to be relaced with your version of justice.
I certainly do not believe that randomised couplings of individuals, attached only vaguely by degrees of friendship, should be given any help at all from society. At least no more than say a Church group, or a surfing group et al. You name it!
Posted by diver dan, Saturday, 11 February 2017 7:53:50 PM
diver dan:

‘Baby humans’ are the responsibility of their parents or the state when there are no parents. They should be given what they need to survive by their parents. People who are parents should not be given any advantages over people who choose to not be parents. This is justice.

Giving advantages to one group of people because of their personal choice to be parents is unjust. One choice is not better than the other. Parents do not contribute more to society than non-parents. Just having a child is no guarantee that society will be better off. Some parents give birth to adults who go on to be serial killers or terrorists and cause great harm to society. The mere production of offspring is neither good nor bad in itself.

Many adults do not choose to be parents and they can go on to do great things or bad things.

Since there are no guaranteed results as to whether adults who form families contribute more than those who do not form families then there is not good reason why all adults should not be treated equally. Any attempt to promote the choice to create families over the choice not to create them is dishonest and manipulative.
Posted by phanto, Sunday, 12 February 2017 8:20:59 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy