The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The new dads are doing it better > Comments

The new dads are doing it better : Comments

By Peter West, published 3/2/2017

The contrast between the sexes can be seen early. Simon Baron Cohen says 99 per cent of girls play with dolls at age six. Barely 17 percent of boys do.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
So how does one live a contented and happy life? Live alone? Keep a pet (not a Penthouse Pet!) Certainly households are more diverse than they were when I grew up.In the 1950s and 1960s-
If a woman wasn't married, she was a nun- or an odd spinster.

If a man wasn't married, he was a priest or religious brother. And that often- not always - ended sadly for the kids in their care.
Posted by Waverley, Sunday, 5 February 2017 10:11:40 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The answer is simple really Waverly...education. Also acknowledgement.
*Ninety per cent of one-parent families are mother-headed*

I suggest single mothers are offered this alternative as an optional extra with Government support of single pensions.
When this windfall is added to by the booty of asset stripping the partner, then the stage is set for nasty outcomes.

I'm surprised this article totally ignored the reality of separations and their negative outcomes on men in particular, especially when almost half of men in relationships will be worked-over by the Family Court, and the biased set of cards which are dealt to him.
Posted by diver dan, Sunday, 5 February 2017 12:26:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I'm not sure I entirely agree with you DD, but agreed- ABC lately has been way off. It would take hours to detail it. Summer on ABC TV was endless Pommy quiz shows and dreary "personalities" endlessly repeated. A parade of lightweight commentators and pretty faces and no gravitas or common sense. I have no idea where they think they are going- but downhill it is.
Posted by Waverley, Sunday, 5 February 2017 2:13:46 PM
So we have 17% of boys playing with dolls. No wonder there are so many effeminate males in society today.

In years gone by males had complementary roles to females determined I would suggest by the laws of comparative advantage. The average male could support a family including buying the home, car & holiday etc. Children had the benefit of mothers being more available to them. I'm not saying everything was hunky dory back then. There have always been thuggish men and those who have shown disrespect towards their wife.

Since feminism took hold women started flooding into what were previously male spaces. They were made to made to feel guilty if they weren't out competing with men. Politicians and captains of industry loved this because with fuller employment levels it helped increase the GNP, reduced labour costs and increased the bottom line on the profit and loss statement.

A consequence of the changes in society are an increase in family dislocation brought about by relationship pressures; because women have lost their mystique and thus generally speaking their appeal to the opposite sex, we have more and more young & some older people coming out as homosexuals and developing the mental illness of gender dysphoria. Further I understand that women are becoming more and more harried and unhappy.
Posted by Roscop, Monday, 6 February 2017 12:33:47 PM
Hmm. I think often the boys chop off the dolls' heads or throw them around.
I think B-C is mainly saying there's an essential difference between boys and girls. That phrase makes the gender experts see red....
I'd say many parents find their boys starkly different from girls, much of the time. Maybe not all the time.

Funny how this bit is the bit people want to argue about....
Posted by Waverley, Monday, 6 February 2017 6:54:14 PM
When I read these comments, with the repetition of stereotypes (eg the housework issue, the males done over by vicious females) I consider my own extended family which simply doesn't fit.
My maternal grandmother was widowed at a young age with teenage children. She worked to support them, running a small shop. My mother married young and had four kids but worked from home as a high-level dressmaker (wedding dresses, evening gowns; if she hadn't died in her 30s, she would have expanded this into a fashion business). Her sister, a teenager during WW2, never married, like many women of her generation, due to a shortage of men. She didn't become a nun, or an 'odd' spinster: she had a career as an actuary, until in her later years, her female team was replaced by 'a computer'. After my mother's death she became the lynchpin of the family even after my father remarried. This is what single women did and were respected and loved for.
The males in my and my husbands family were and are fantastic cooks; my late father was a professional butcher and baker at different times (we joked that if he was born later, he would have been running Masterchef). In his 80s, when he visited, he would ban me from the kitchen, and cook up a storm. My brothers, son and nephews inherited the gene. I can't remember many housework demarcation disputes; it was just the responsibility of people living together to make sure the household worked. (cont.)
Posted by Cossomby, Monday, 13 February 2017 4:45:13 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy