The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Person of the Year: time to look beyond the obvious > Comments

Person of the Year: time to look beyond the obvious : Comments

By Bashir Goth, published 29/12/2016

The men and women of Syrian Civil Defence, known as ‘Syrian White Helmets’, deserve the title as they sacrifice their lives to rescue those trapped in the war zone.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Hi Loudmouth,
Totally agree with all your points; you're right about everything.

You're right when you say it should be 'all media' and I was wrong if I implied only the corporate media.

You're right when you say we shouldn't have to follow up every unfounded conspiracy theory.
It's up to each individual to choose what they wish to read or or look into.
- This is where peoples different levels of knowledge on different topics comes in; and of the purpose of discussions and sharing information.
Different people have different pieces of knowledge to share.

We should be skeptical, in this day an age we should all be at least a little skeptical of everything were lead to believe is fact.

Independent Media independent?
I accept the point you're alluding to completely.
There is certainly a lot of fake websites and disinformation out there.

(FYI In some alternative media circles the terminology has changed. It used be 'mainstream media' and the 'alternative media', but the mainstream media has been losing ground to the alternative media for some time which prompted some to start referring to them as 'Corporate media' and 'Independent media' instead. It reflects the basic idea that it is media which isn't typical establishment talking points.)

I'd honestly love to be a jellyfish swimming around the ocean today, (It's so hot) and yes maybe they do hold the secrets to some yet to be discovered medical treatments.

You're also right about me being cruel.
I know I can be harsh, I don't feel all that good about myself when I do, if that's any consolation.
I have a terrible way of making my arguments sometimes.
Sorry for the way I made those points.

Sorry I called you an ill informed jellyfish and anything else insulting; you, Toni and the other members are much more learned than me on many other topics and I don't ever deny that, but often my points are worthwhile too.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 31 December 2016 2:30:27 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Hasbeen,

You wrote;

"Any who are not prepared to stay, & fight to protect their homeland & people, are not worth giving the time of day, & certainly not worth listening to."

This from a bloke who freely admits to climbing onboard a yacht to sail the Pacific for years because he didn't like the direction the country was headed.

Didn't stick around to fight for change, just cleared off.

I think these people have far more substantial reasons for cutting and running than you did.

Does that make you "not worth listening to"?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Saturday, 31 December 2016 2:52:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi AC,

Thanks, no worries. Happy New Year, and Happy Hanukkah !

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 31 December 2016 3:21:23 PM
Same to you Joe,
A genuine Happy New Year to you, your family and friends, and all the other forum members as well, even the ones I don't always get along with.
You've all provided me with many different ways of looking at many different topics, I'm wiser for it and for that I appreciate you all.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 31 December 2016 7:09:53 PM
Armchair Critic,

Ach, who cares? It's the frigging New Year! Time for a clean slate. Sorry if I've been a dick the last year, AC, although I'll probably be the same dick this year. It's just the way I'm built.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to1xT93IlUI
Posted by Toni Lavis, Sunday, 1 January 2017 12:43:32 AM
Loumouth

'Ergo: it's all an American plot. They don't exist. They're actors, kids, bodies and all.'

In a word ... yes. Why is that so hard to understand? The US is an empire and all empires throughout history have plotted and schemed, with all kinds of expensive machievellian propaganda, to justify their wars of aggression.

The British empire did it. The European empires did it. The Third Reich did it. The Japanese did it. The Roman empire did it (Caesar even admitted to it). I'm sure the Persians did it to justify their invasion of Greece.

As for the handsome, dusty white helmet honchos, where are they featured in any of the footage of the liberation of Aleppo and evacuation of the city? One would think they would be in the thick of it, preening and posing all over the place - in front of expensive, wide-angle backdrops of the city and its multitude of fleeing citizens hugging and kissing them. Couldn't they have thought to hire a few more actors to bow down and kiss their feet? (Stay tuned. There's probably one in the pipeline.)

As for Russian bombing of Aleppo, they were legally invited by the elected Syrian government to aid it in overthrowing the jihadist rebels who were trying to overthrow the Syrian government and turn Syria into a fanatical Islamist theocracy. In order to liberate a city under siege, bombing is an essential part of that warfare. (Of course, we all know that no other country on the face of the earth ever bombs anything during warfare campaigns - they just melt away the military opposition by the sheer force of their benevolent goodness).
Posted by Killarney, Monday, 2 January 2017 12:07:18 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy