The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Palestine: France humiliated by Abbas but Israel remains focused > Comments

Palestine: France humiliated by Abbas but Israel remains focused : Comments

By David Singer, published 23/12/2016

France’s blatant attempt to replace the conduct of direct negotiations between Israel and the PLO, as provided for in the internationally approved Oslo Accords and the Bush Roadmap has embarrassingly fallen flat on its face.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Direct negotiations between Israel and Palestine have achieved what?

A huge heaping helping of pedantic absolutism?

Squiddly diddly? More hostility and outrage? Never ending armed conflict?

More land for an endless stream of new Jewish migration?

No wonder you want France to simply but out, given what has been achieved thus far, by a kind, generous, benign and forgiving Israel!? And measured by "significant" Israeli progress thus far!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 23 December 2016 10:52:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
France has zero credibility with regard to arab Israeli relations, zero credibility with regard to ANY middle eastern affairs. Israel would be crazy to have anything to do with any 'international' involvement in their affairs. The UN resolution record regarding Israel is a farcical indication as to its' credibility. As stated, France should 'butt out', it just embarrasses itself.
Posted by Prompete, Friday, 23 December 2016 1:07:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
You forgot the part where the French & the Brits sold out the Arabs in the Sykes-Picot agreement,Israel could have been put anywhere in the world but the shoved it where it was not wanted wonder why.
But they decided to do what the Israeli settlers/IDF do with monotonous regularity steal land, water, murder Palestinians for amusement,drive them their family's out of their Palestinian land,burn the trees
But that's all fine to Dave and his masters the settlements are illegal Dave if it OK for you to applaud the foundation of Israel by the UN, then abuse it because it when it tried to stop the illegal settlements.
Trying to have your cake and eat it to methinks
Posted by John Ryan, Saturday, 24 December 2016 1:27:47 PM
Your hatred John Ryan certainly proves that you are incapable of thinking logically. Thank God we now have Trump who won't listen to your revised history and leftist lies when it comes to Israel.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 24 December 2016 3:25:46 PM
Interesting events with the Kiwi's this week and the UN resolution to stop settlement building that Obama did not veto, but not that Israel would listen or obey anyway.
You have to give the Kiwi's a pat on the back for standing up for whats right.
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-12-24/israel-ends-aid-programs-after-un-security-council-vote/8146840

"By voting 'yes' in favour of this resolution, you have in fact voted 'no'. You voted 'no' to negotiations. You voted 'no' to progress, and a chance for better lives for Israelis and Palestinians. And you voted 'no' to the possibility of peace," he said.

Negotiations are a slow noose, do they think people are dumb?
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 24 December 2016 5:06:40 PM
Armchair

Yes - it goes on and one for a further century?
Posted by SAINTS, Saturday, 24 December 2016 7:55:22 PM
' Yes - it goes on and one for a further century?' not if my understanding of the book is correct.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 24 December 2016 10:56:25 PM
Merry Christmas David, what a fine present the UN and the US have finally delivered:

"The Obama administration broke from a longstanding tradition of US defence of Israel at the UN and allowed the passage of a resolution harshly criticising the country’s expansion of Jewish settlements in the Palestinian territories.

Following the vote, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu recalled Israel’s ambassadors to resolution co-sponsors New Zealand and Senegal.

It was the first time in 36 years the UN Security Council was able to adopt a resolution addressing the issue of Israeli settlement construction, an outcome made possible by the abstention of the US, which had veto power."

Giddy up Santa
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Sunday, 25 December 2016 2:53:02 AM
I am not familiar with the geography of Jerusalem but as I have read
the resolution means that the Temple Mount, the Wailing Wall and
other significant areas are now deemed to be occupied land by Israel ?

This fits in well with the UNESCO determination that the Dead Sea Scrolls
and Jerusalem have always been Islamic. The Palestinians have demanded
that the scrolls be handed to them as they are Islamic documents.
In view of that then the Romans driving the Jews out of Jerusalem must
have been a fiction made up by a Roman historian as a publicity
stunt for Emperor Vespasian.

Oh Dear, just imagine grown diplomats believe that !
No wonder the world is in a mess when even professionals who are
supposed to understand these things are so delusionl.
Makes you wonder about other decisions such as economic budgets
global warming etc etc.
It just might be that Brecix, Pres Trump, One Nation's Pauline,
Geert Wilders, Marine Le Pen etc etc now make sense.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 28 December 2016 2:49:07 PM
Runner

Then let's see what Trump's actions are.

We all want "peace" - and negotiations between parties must continue, surely both parties can agree amicably to the rule of "give and take" in seeking resolution.
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 28 December 2016 6:37:21 PM
There will never be peace as long as the Israeli people keep electing right wing fascist governments, and people like the warmonger Netanyahu as their prime minister. He alone dismantled the peace roadmap, he is against a two state solution, would never agree to a single state solution, and won't stop settlements until Israel has stolen every square metre of usable land. Now Trump is taking over things will only get worse. His choice of ambassador, pro-settlement and anti-two state, shows his intent. In time a terrible catastrophe will befall Israel, and they will only have themselves to blame.
Posted by Billyd, Wednesday, 28 December 2016 7:13:18 PM
Billyd -

My response to your post was not posted ..... don't know why.

So I refer to my above comment - we all seek a peaceful solution for both countries. As a courtesy (to you) in responding to your post.

I also wish you and other OLO posters a very happy and prosperous 2017
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 30 December 2016 3:19:02 PM
'In time a terrible catastrophe will befall Israel, and they will only have themselves to blame.'

Billyd

you are ignorant of history and obviously have not read the end of the book which does not lie.
Posted by runner, Friday, 30 December 2016 3:28:24 PM
runner

you advised previous poster - you are ignorant of history and obviously have not read the end of the book which does not lie.

With deep respect - am trying to understand your post regarding (to previous poster) "the book which does not lie".

As a naïve Aussie looking at conflict within these countries - why can't both counties seek a peaceful resolution?

Are we still talking about centuries old "feuds"?
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 30 December 2016 3:51:12 PM
Saints said;
surely both parties can agree amicably to the rule of "give and take" in seeking resolution.

Well that is the trouble, they cannot.
The Palestinians are adamant that they want Israel dissolved, defunct
removed, obliterated etc as a minimum condition.
Hamas goes further, their minimum condition is that the Jews be driven into the sea.
So for some reason the Israelis do not accept those as conditions.
They are just being difficult.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 30 December 2016 4:24:30 PM
Bazz, it's hard to tell whether you are joking or lying. The Palestinians recognised Israel's right to exist a long long time ago, it is no longer an issue, whereas there are many Israelis pushing for all Palestinians to be expelled from "Greater Israel". The truth here is that Israel attacked it's neighbours in 1967 and set about occupying and stealing their land on the pretext that they were about to be invaded.

runner, I have no idea what you are talking about.
Posted by Billyd, Friday, 30 December 2016 4:31:19 PM
Billyd

So what happened to the Onslo agreement in 1976?

I am most prepared to be classed as "ignorant" to these facts.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 30 December 2016 4:52:43 PM
Billyd

You have not responded to my last message regarding Onlso Agreement of 1976 as I watched on Kerry's speech.

Am just trying to understand the issues.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 30 December 2016 5:57:21 PM
Saints, I have no idea what Oslo 1976 means. After the assassination of Rabin in 1995, Netanyahu started his first term as PM, and immediately set about dismantling all peace efforts. He opposes a two state solution, which almost every country in the world recognises as the only way forward.
Posted by Billyd, Friday, 30 December 2016 6:03:35 PM
Billyd, if I remember correctly in 1967 Israel was attacked by Egypt
Jordan an others and they got done like a dinner.
So they pushed them back and kept the area regained that was lost in 1947.
Now this is one of the problems with this whole dispute, it is easy to
forget the sequence of events. Who said what to whom.

However yes you were right the Arabs were originally willing to
have a joint country and at one time two separate areas.
These possibilities change continuously.
However the last thing I read from Abbas is that the Arabs MUST have
Jerusalem. They know that the Israelis will never give it up.

There is another problem; the Koran speaks about making treaties with
Jews and infidels. It is permitted to do so only as a subterfuge to
gain some advantage with the intention of overcoming them in the future.
A moslem is not permitted to take an infidel as a friend.
It is even worse to make a jew a friend.
These are fundamental problems.

Then of course, Hamas will not allow any Jews in the Middle East
let alone a Jewish state.

I am afraid a belief in a give and take agreement is just wishful thinking.
It has been like this since 647 ad when the Islamists sacked the
Jewish towns in ME and killed the men and took the women.
Sound familiar.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 30 December 2016 9:55:55 PM
You are a little out on your history there Bazz, Israel struck first in 1967.

http://www.foreignpolicyjournal.com/2010/07/04/israels-attack-on-egypt-in-june-67-was-not-preemptive/

As for Jerusalem, the Palestinians are only asking for East Jerusalem, not the whole, Israel wants it all, and are building thousands of housing units in the East.

647 AD sounds familiar? Yes, it does .... http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/2016/12/israel-crimes-settlements-161229075030106.html
Posted by Billyd, Saturday, 31 December 2016 4:32:00 PM
Billyd, I could find no reference to 647 AD or any other AD date in your reference.
I have never seen anywhere a contradiction of Mohammed’s raids
around the ME.

"Nasser, later conveyed to U.S. President Lyndon Johnson that his
troop buildup in the Sinai Peninsula prior to the war had been to
defend against a feared Israeli attack."

A classic excuse. So who is making it ?
Myself, I think that really large Egyptian army armoured turnout
spoke for itself. Large buildups are a classic way to start a war.

Yes, of course the Arabs want as much of Jerusalem as they can get.
It was afterall previously occupied by moslems and no matter how
it was then obtained according to the koran it always remains moslem land.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 1 January 2017 9:05:20 AM
Bazz, Israel attacked first, for whatever reason. Egypt claims it built it's forces in self-defence, perhaps they remembered Israel's part in the Suez crisis. Whatever their reason, they were attacked first, and of course Israel are going to say an attack was imminent, what else could they say?

My reference was pointing to the sacking of hundreds of towns and villages by the Israelis, the slaughter and forced exile of hundreds of thousands of Palestinians, ethnic cleansing at its ugliest.

Palestinians are not after all of Jerusalem they can get, that's the Israelis, they only want East Jerusalem.
Posted by Billyd, Sunday, 1 January 2017 9:45:55 PM
Well ultimately it does not matter who struck first.
It was going to happen anyway.
As far as east Jerusalem is concerned, I have been looking at the maps
and realise why the Israelis will never give up the eastern part.
It is where the Temple mount is located, in fact in the google map
the Temple Mount appears to be just east of the border.
So maybe that is the 1947 line.
I can see that Jerusalem extends into the West Bank area and a strait
border line would put the whole of Jerusalem into Arab hands.
It will just have to be accepted that the Israelis will never hand
over Jerusalem.
If the Arabs assembled enough force to overwhelm the Israelis as a
survival act they would use nuclear weapons.
No doubt they have hinted this to the Arab countries or they realise
it them selves.
Facing annihilation would they have a choice ?
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 1 January 2017 10:15:58 PM
Bazz, so far Israel has been exempt from Islamic extremism, nothing the Palestinians have done compares to what ISIS and al Qaeda are capable of. It is almost inevitable that Israel will one day be attacked with either chemical or nuclear weapons, not bombs dropped from a plane, or delivered by missiles, you don't need a bomb to carry either.

East Jerusalem is in the West Bank proper, West Jerusalem leads straight into Israel. Netanyahu and his ilk don't want the Palestinians to have any of Jerusalem because they don't want a two state solution.
Posted by Billyd, Sunday, 1 January 2017 10:49:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy