The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Tougher penalties needed for domestic violence perpetrators > Comments

Tougher penalties needed for domestic violence perpetrators : Comments

By Cassandra Pullos, published 18/11/2016

Domestic violence has become such a scourge in the community, our lawmakers must impose tougher penalties for DV offenders.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Killarney,

I don't know what you mean when you say: "The courts pay little to no attention to obvious evidence of abuse."

My understanding is that in most cases the evidence consists only of uncorroborated statements from the alleged victim. You know, the "she said" without the "he said" because most of these matter are dealt with in the first instance, without the alleged perpetrator present. So where does "obvious" come into it?
Posted by Roscop, Friday, 25 November 2016 8:44:54 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Roscop

The example I gave was that there was clear evidence of domestic assault - the reports given by the hospital staff, the OTT text messages and also (which I didn't state in previous comments) witnesses. There was also a report from a Family Counsellor commissioned by the Court, who stated categorically that the father had serious anger-management and control issues.

Yet, the court dismissed all of this. The final ruling simply fell back on the legal Howard government requirement to award 50-50 custody.

My friend's well-documented history of being a victim of domestic violence mattered not one iota. Neither did the police give a damn. They just administered well-meaning advice - no more.

Family Law lawyers have complete contempt for DV restraining orders. They just see them as tit-for-tat domestic manipulation. As do the courts.

This is why the law has to be updated and revised. For too long, prevailing opinion has assumed that DV is a punishable crime, equal to all other punishable crimes. In reality, it is NOT. Only a very miniscule number of DV perpetrators stand trial or are convicted. Basically, they have to take an axe to their entire family, before the law will deign to intervene.

Legal precedent gives DV perpetrators a legal pass to do whatever they like, simply because their victim is their intimate partner. One law for intimate partners and another for the rest of the community.

phanto

I think I've addressed your comment in my reply to Roscop.
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 26 November 2016 7:04:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
2017 could easily be the year DV could be swept off the map with appropriate national legislation and enforcement together with mopping up.

Legislation: Go after the mongrels that actually DO DV, who introduce physical assault into the home. Disallow non-violent provocation as a permitted defence. Bind magistrates' hands with legislated minimum sentences of incarceration until the victim asks for the basher's release and specifies its terms.

Mopping up: Isolate bashers socially in the way drunk drivers are isolated socially. Isolate advocates for bashers in the way anyone who made a practice of speaking up for drunk driving would have to wear social disapproval. Let social engineers go for their lives at trying to redesign society so the "I done me block" impulse is educated out of cretins - best of British luck to them, just so long as doing DV means gaol until the victim says to let the creep out.
Posted by EmperorJulian, Saturday, 26 November 2016 11:51:26 AM
Killarney,you said in an earlier post: "Other than exaggerating some aspects for dramatic effect,..."

Because I can't identify which parts of your posts have been exaggerated for dramatic effect I'm treating all of your posts as garbage. I equate exaggerations to lies.

You see, there too many women who front up to court and behave as drama queens (ie say things for dramatic effect). There was a recent well publicized Canadian case (Jian Ghomeshi) which went to trial. At the trial three females testified against the accused. All three were proven in court to be liars. Save for the fact that the accused had kept emails from long long ago, the accused would have been more than likely been convicted and would now be serving serious time in prison. As far as I know none of the three women were charged with perjury and one who did not go public, had her identity suppressed. Now that is where the law really needs to toughened up.

The Ghomeshi Verdict:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOdPfcp4YTQ
Posted by Roscop, Saturday, 26 November 2016 1:21:31 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy