The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The things we aren't allowed to say > Comments

The things we aren't allowed to say : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 11/11/2016

These days populist (and often official) attitudes on these topics have been largely reversed, and those who argue against 'progressive' views risk being labelled misogynist, homophobic, or racist.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Hey AlanB
Since it is not exposing any underlying secrets to say you were once Rhrosty, please assure me you are not also the poster girl, with strikingly similar views, "LisaM". She appears as a new recruit, I'm suspicious!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 11 November 2016 12:17:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It is very rude and cruel to say nasty things to people or other people cause, it hurts them badly even the gay man and lady should not be hurt by things said, by other people. You would not like it either yourself, so do not say bad things to other people or about other people ok.
Posted by misanthrope, Friday, 11 November 2016 12:50:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For gods sake grow up misanthrope.

As kids we were taught to chant, "Sticks & stones may break my bones, but names can never hurt me". What has happened to the country when kids could handle an insult 40 years ago, but adults can't today?

Hell these things are often not insults, but proven fact. If they weren't the laws of libel would handle those merely out to denigrate. A prime instance of this was the Bolt case.

Funny isn't it, that those who don't want the truth told about some of the leaches in our midst, have been the ones hurling lies & innuendoes at one Donald Trump this last few months. Yet another instance of the left & their do as I say, not as I do. The left/green blob can't handle the truth, so want a law against it being aired.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 11 November 2016 1:44:49 PM
So basically Lisa/Alan and Cobber think people should be restricted from saying things that they (Lisa/Alan/Cob) think is factually incorrect.

Somehow I think they've missed the point about free speech.
Posted by mhaze, Friday, 11 November 2016 4:12:01 PM
How irresponsible and condemning of your opinion to talk about freedom of expression about race being curtailed by 18c but not mentioning the reasonable discussion afforded by 18d. Bolt was not an example of 18C but caught out by 18D because he propagated what he knew to be lies and that wasn't reasonable. Should liars with privileged access to expression be allowed to abuse people? And the QUT students is an example of what is not inhibited by 18C - don't make out they were prosecuted. And Bill leak is a case in progress. When it comes to what 18C actually does the evidence is very weak but here it was presented conclusively.

So why abuse your privileged position as a commentator and not mention 18D in an article of freedom of expression? Just another case of those who whine about lack of freedom of expression are those who are already more freely expressing than most that they denigrate. The uncomfortable truth that is hiding behind claims of political correctness is that these issues such as racism and genderism are now immoral rather than it being politically expedient - the law is merely reflecting and codifying that morality. Political correctness is what people do when they don't have the morality. It is morality that people most often use to shut down debate not laws. And that is why you didn't mention that reasonable debate on race is legal because morals determine more than the law.

In this digital age of fast information it is politically incorrect and even immoral to be wrong (on 18C and 18D) on the indefensible. (perhaps you take a two way bet with all the brackets - they are everywhere).
Posted by Eric G, Friday, 11 November 2016 4:51:27 PM
Speaking of free (hate) speech why not google the topic Donald Trump and hate speech. It seems that Donald has given at least some people in the USA permission to freely express their hate speech, and actions too.
Posted by Daffy Duck, Friday, 11 November 2016 4:53:23 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy