The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Where to now, for Premier Weatherill's nuclear dream? > Comments

Where to now, for Premier Weatherill's nuclear dream? : Comments

By Noel Wauchope, published 8/11/2016

On November 6th, to the surprise of all, South Australia's Nuclear Citizens Jury came up with a report that overwhelmingly rejected the government's plan for importing and storing high level nuclear waste.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Premier Weatherill touted the wonderfulness of the Citizen's Jury process before it gave him an answer he didn't like, so its a bit embarrassing for him to ignore it.

In his acceptance speech he said the Jury had rejected "this" proposal, so he and the nuclear industry are sure to be back soon with a slightly different modification.

I find it bizarre that commentators on this article are going on about nuclear power in Australia. That has nothing to do with the Citizen's Jury which was assessing only the proposal to import waste.
Posted by RWood, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 4:42:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Not to worry, once we have spent an enormous amount of money on solar
and wind and realise that it is still not reliable enough, there will
be a demand for nuclear power tomorrow.
Unfortunately nothing will be done until it is understood that a
reliable electricity system as we have now, will cost an infinite amount of money.
Then we will not have enough money to build the nuclear plant in a
reasonable time.

So it seems due to shortsighted politicians we will probably have
20 years of unreliable electricity supply. Freeze in the dark !
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 4:49:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Pogi, if you have a good knowledge of chemistry and thermodynamics, the following might help to answer some of your questions.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquid_fluoride_thorium_reactor
and if you Google "Thorium Reactor" you will find more.

Alan B. It isn't all beer and skittles with Thorium reactors either.

David
Posted by VK3AUU, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 5:27:17 PM
As I said before, there was no chance of a different result, as the "jurors" had already made up their minds.

The only reason I can see for Labor setting up this farce is so that they can go back to the federal government with their begging bowls after screwing up yet more business opportunities, whilst claiming that at least they tried.

What a bunch of losers.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 7:29:27 PM
According to Noel, the two major bases on which the jury made its decisions were what the indigenous wanted and the business proposal.

There still seems there is room to move on these, IMO, but a referendum is the only shot at it. Public debate follows a different dynamic to the jury presentation system, where misinformation is not necessarily countered through Q & A sessions.

I hold out for SA at least leaving the gate open for domestic nuclear waste and using its uranium for the purpose it exists.
Posted by Luciferase, Tuesday, 8 November 2016 9:20:58 PM
Hi Pogi, The salt is fluoride lithium or fluoride beryllium. Melting point just north of 400C, where it behaves like water not yet brought to the boil, which is somewhere north of 1,000C Fluoride is a very poor receptor of neutrons and as a consequence rarely becomes, if ever, seriously radioactive!

Book?

Sorry, My more upto date info, was gained via Google tech talks and a dozen or more lectures, in plain english!

Suggest you listen to scientist Kirk Sorensen, who is encyclopedic in his knowledge of the subject. And while you're there and still interested, another half dozen scientists, will endevour to ensure no relevant gaps in your knowledge. Cooling? More molten salt and radiators. And heated Co2 or helium or nitrogen is ideal to turn a turbine, where a sweet spot of around 700C produces optimum energy transfer.

My background is in science, where I worked with radioactive material almost daily.

If I were to step out my door and fill a cubic metre box with soil, any soil! I'd be able to extract around 8 grams of thorium and with that 8 grams of the most energy dense material in the world. Be able to power my car and house; and produce all my material needs for a year!

And given the cost of recovering a sample pure enough, as is, for that purpose is around $100.00!

Moreover, it is theoretically possible to mount a miniaturized laser activated reactor in the back of your car, and use that 8 grams of thorium to power that car in complete safety, for the next 100 years, without ever refueling!

Energy that cheap can change the entire world, end all want and war!

And you just have to know that scares the living Bejesus out of both the fossil fuel industry and big nuclear. All of who, along with their tame progress preventing pollies? Could very soon become very redundant, with the roll out of clean safe cheap nuclear energy!?

And if the cap fits?

The Suppressed technology is already over fifty years old!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 8 November 2016 10:47:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy