The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Crossing the clear, bright line > Comments

Crossing the clear, bright line : Comments

By Paul Russell, published 1/11/2016

When we abandon the principle that the law (in this case the criminal code prohibitions on homicide) protects all of its citizens equally, as van Loenen observes, drawing a new line is arbitrary.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
mm the Netherlands removed the capital punishment in 1870 only to bring it back for war crimes, their military still had it on the books right up to 1983.
Their police are arm and do shot dangerous people.

So your opening sentence are wrong and it only gets worse from there.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Tuesday, 1 November 2016 7:44:09 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can understand the issue with a clear bright line but also think the real issue is consent. I'm allowed to give away things that I own however generally nobody other than the government can take from me without my consent without the risk of criminal sanction. Whilst the government in my view oversteps the mark of what is reasonable or fair in my view the broad concept still applies.

Something fundamentally wrong in my view with those who want to make it impossible (or very difficult) for others in the midst of great suffering to end that suffering.

The focus should be on sane discussion around prevention of abuse, not on forcing suffering on others

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Tuesday, 1 November 2016 8:30:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The trouble with do-gooders & bleeding hearts is that they can only see good in their own point of view.

Knowing that bureaucrats & academics usually stuff up anything they touch, or have control of, I can see huge dangers in government controlled & sanctioned euthanasia.

Yes it could go wrong, & be a vehicle for huge abuse. However as the pain in this hard worked aging body grows & spreads I know that, short of a major accident, or massive heart failure, the time will come when not being here will be better than being here.

If nature doesn't do it for me, I may have to take action to speed my departure. The very worst thing would be to be a bedridden plaything of the medical fraternity, kept alive only because they can do it, & not for anything approaching my best interest. I have seen enough in this situation to know that this would be the very worst outcome of these do-gooders who demand god like power over all of us.
Posted by Hasbeen, Tuesday, 1 November 2016 11:59:40 AM
Hi Hasbeen. My Irish gran lived well into her nineties, and had to contend with crippling joint deforming arthritis and a prolapsed womb, among other things. Which being the custom of the day, among folk who never ever had it easy, endured with stoic forbearance!

Anyhow, the Doctor called and inquired, are you bedridden Mrs Pierce? To which she replied, no, sometimes in the gig.

One is a long time dead and unable to, rescind that order, if you've got it wrong and wound up in your worse possible nightmare.

The problem with effective palliative care is, it is not universal nor for everyone, just a few privileged city dwellers with gold standard private health cover?

Marine biologists have discovered a marine based protein? Allegedly, a thousand times more efficacious than morphine in easing pain?

Some older folk seem to be getting some relief from hydrotherapy and supported gentle movement. And worked for me the first time back in the pool, and temporarily, free enough of pain to be able to have a little fun with the kids.

I've heard good things about hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Particularly, when the pressure used is around three atmospheres and the oxygen is supplied as pure O2, via an oxygen mask. Neither of which do any harm, except to the pocket book, if not found to be useful.

Just as women ought to be able to obtain a morning after pill over the counter, we ought to be able obtain legally available Nembutal and keep a lethal dose, where we and we alone can access it. Or order a secure computer program to administer it for us?

And with that change and decriminalizing some aspects of palliative care, end this debate forever, or demand others be involved in what has to remain a single persons, decision! Which might become part of a living will? Made while you still have all your marbles!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 1 November 2016 3:22:39 PM
In summation:

Paul talks more wank, on the same subject he has talked so much wank on previously.

The OLO Greek chorus resoundingly tell him to f#&k off and mind his own business.

In time, the cycle will repeat itself.

Paul is not one of nature's 'quick learners'. One has to wonder if he is capable of learning at all.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Tuesday, 1 November 2016 4:22:30 PM
Paul,
you qoute "thou shalt not kill"
so your main objection is that you may be condemned
by God for allowing people in extreme suffering to die peacefully
with the proper medication.

So in other words its all about you not wanting to offend God so as to assure your place
in his good books and especially a place in Heaven.

Well Paul, just get out of the way of the medicine cabinet,
We citizens out here are quite capable of administering a small
amount of liquid in a glass to ourselves if its ever needed.

Who are you to demand someone dies in agony?
Its none of your business. You look after your own way of dying.
Who are you to say you are right and 80% of other people are wrong.
You are not qualified to judge ongoing agonising pain unless you
have experienced it or are experiencing it. Only the person
experiencing the pain knows how bad it is. Only they have
the right to choose to die and end their suffering.

Not you and the others like you who have no idea what kind of pain and
suffering is involved.
Posted by CHERFUL, Tuesday, 1 November 2016 10:30:03 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy