The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Nuclear Citizens' Jury: an ethical case for importing nuclear wastes > Comments

Nuclear Citizens' Jury: an ethical case for importing nuclear wastes : Comments

By Noel Wauchope, published 25/10/2016

However, nuclear lobbyists have for a long time been promoting the idea that Australia has an ethical responsibility to import nuclear wastes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All
Taswegian: A molten salt reactor is so much safer than an old technology, light water reactor! It's hard to know where to begin? Save a tsunami could wash over a molten salt thorium reactor, and the walk away safe reactor would safely drain out into a purpose built repository, where the salt would safely crystallize.

And given a molten salt reactor works at normal atmospheric pressure, no need for containment either in the reactor or building!

Whereas, a light water reactor may have to work at a mind boggling 1,000 atmospheres and need both containment vessel and a seriously hardened building! Which adds quite massively to the cost!

Plus, continual wide eyed around the clock operators immediately ready for any number of possible malfunctions, some of which may include a significant irradiation event or multiple fatalities! Ditto molten metal fast breeder reactors! The latter using plutonium!

Neither of which anyone with a still functioning brain would advocate? Either on massive roll out costs, deplorable safety record or prohibitive decommissioning costs!

And that's before you factor in the security levels required to keep the inevitable waste falling into hostile hands! Which by the way, could be made safer just by reprocessing it time and again in molten salt thorium slow breeder reactors.

I'd have/welcome a thorium reactor in my backyard, but none of the others!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Tuesday, 25 October 2016 10:28:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Trisha Dee is a prime example of why a citizen's jury is a complete joke.

Her weasel words "If after a deep and genuine community engagement process, my South Australian community said that we felt there was a case for importing HL nuclear waste, then I would work with my community to consider the social, technological, economic and ethical issues." are followed by an ideological statement clearly showing that there is no chance of her finding a case for any nuclear industry.

This is just a show trial where the outcome is predetermined, and a pretext for Wetherill to kybosh yet another business opportunity before extending the begging bowl to Canberra again.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 6:11:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan B you can go out and buy a Candu reactor for about $5 bn but you cannot buy a molten salt reactor for love nor money. China is proposing a fuel cycle of one Candu for every four light water reactors. If molten salt reactors do everything they promise that's great but there are some big engineering problems to overcome first.
Posted by Taswegian, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 6:32:50 AM
The whole country needs a education in nuclear energy, not just Trisha Dee, who's mind is clearly closed and made up.

Following recent events, South Australians now fully grasp that their faith in renewables is underpinned by dirty brown coal burning for them in Victoria or that the alternative, massive gas reticulation and turbine 'backup', would actually power them most of the time and not just during RE failure. (In Ontario adding wind with gas backup raises emissions and is a reason it's ceased installation, besides the rising electricity cost to consumers)

Our state by state approach is an ad hoc way to deal with national carbon reduction, IMO. If Victoria went nuclear when its brown coal burners are retired would South Australia say no to interconnection on principle? It's too easy for states to say "not in my backyard" (like Germany) while other states produce the baseload. Even running 100% on renewables occasionally (like Germany) is reliant on another state always having thermally produced electricity on standby.

South Australia has everything at it's disposal to power the eastern seaboard with nuclear power, and to accept waste. It is sad to see the unwillingness of SA ideologues like TD to even contemplate their great fortune at this fact.

What Oz and SA needs exposure to is not a balance of views for and against nuclear power/waste storage, but the truth.
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 12:44:20 PM
Noel Wauchope,

I missed your Tuesday post telling me that I don't believe you because I allowed myself to be distracted by trivia, and used up my posting limit for the day.

I believe the your real name is Noel Wauchope, and you use Christina Mac to hide your radical views from your conservative employer. I understand that. Your conservative employer would be, at least, disappointed to find that you are regularly preaching against conservative policies and values.

OK, no concern of mine. You are obviously able to reconcile your conscience in a way known only to you ; I couldn't manage that feat because I am a conservative with a working conscience, but your mind is your own. The only problem I have, is that I can never take you seriously again.
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 1:12:48 PM
Re Ontario, which I mentioned above, see page 15 of https://www.ospe.on.ca/public/documents/presentations/ontarios-electricity-dilemma.pdf
Posted by Luciferase, Wednesday, 26 October 2016 4:22:01 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. 10
  12. All