The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The media's stereotyping of men > Comments

The media's stereotyping of men : Comments

By Peter West, published 18/10/2016

Our media are fond of attacking gender stereotyping. Time and again we see some program about a pattern in society. Maybe it's women footballers.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All
Oh really Killarney? It got one decent post out of you before you went back to your old abusive ways.

Here's some more advice for you: if you want people to engage with you constructively, demonstrate you're capable of acting well. If you want people to think usefully about the things you say, make them worth thinking about.

Just a thought dear.
Posted by Craig Minns, Tuesday, 25 October 2016 7:07:51 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Craig Minns:

Why do you have such a need to give advice? If another poster does not have the right attitude or approach then why not simply ignore them and move on to engaging with those who do? This would be the logical thing to do. The fact that you cannot do this suggests that you have a neurotic need to advise people in order to prop up your own insecurities. You need to feel superior to other people.

Or perhaps you have a neurotic need to feel helpful? Giving help when someone has told you they do not want help is a sure fire sign that you are serving your own needs rather than anyone else's. You do not know how to take 'no' for an answer and your 'help' is actually harrassment.

The fact that you need to pat yourself on the back for your supposed part in changing Killarney's perceived approach shows how desperately you want to deny your harrassment and convince yourself how helpful you really are. If you had influenced another to behave in the way you want them to then you would not need to 'crow' about it - you would simply accept the change and then move on.
Posted by phanto, Tuesday, 25 October 2016 8:23:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Phanto,
I actually think that feminism deserves to be represented more effectively. The rubbish that some people spout is counterproductive to that.

Perhaps, if you wish to improve the conversation, you could try to add to it rather than derailing it? Oh no, there I go again with that pesky advice thing; I just can't help giving into my need for archetypical expression of my entitlement as a representative of the Patriarchy...
Posted by Craig Minns, Tuesday, 25 October 2016 8:35:13 AM
"I actually think that feminism deserves to be represented more effectively. The rubbish that some people spout is counterproductive to that."

Why do you think that is your problem such that you are prepared to harrass feminists into being more productive? Surely that is up to them? They might not care for productivity.

"Perhaps, if you wish to improve the conversation, you could try to add to it rather than derailing it?"

I am not trying to do either. I am trying to stop people like you from abusing these forums for their own neurotic needs.
Posted by phanto, Tuesday, 25 October 2016 10:12:30 AM
It's my problem because I am a person who has a view on feminism. Why are you so determined that I should not express my point of view?

"Help help, I'm being repressed."
Posted by Craig Minns, Tuesday, 25 October 2016 10:20:52 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 7
  7. 8
  8. 9
  9. Page 10
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy