The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Anti-poverty priorities > Comments

Anti-poverty priorities : Comments

By Kasy Chambers, published 17/10/2016

Enthusiasm for innovative approaches must be tempered with the acknowledgement that there is a wider economic story at play.

1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Right at the top of the apex of rogues that create poverty in the first instance, is Globalism.
Globalism does not raise up the poor from the bottom, but it reduces the ranks of the wealthy, by bringing them down to the level of the poor! The purpose of that strategy, is to increase profits for Capitalist enterprises, at any expense!
That's the first reality.
The second, and most painful reality, is the scramble for existence that Globalism creates. It is that scramble the article addresses.

Exacerbating the malaise of plundering for profit, is multiculturalism. Multiculturalism is also a tool of the Capitalist. Public housing has been usurped for this purpose.
This fact points to lack of affordable housing as the culprit of most poverty in Australia.
Attempting to solve this problem by Government policy, manipulating the mortgage market, was the root cause of the downfall of the world economy in 2009 GFC.
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/how-the-government-caused-the-mortgage-crisis-2009-10?r=US&IR=T

At this point , the answer to poverty in Australia lays. Government should cease and desist from creating real estate bubbles, (as they do), by encouraging the sale on the world stage, of Australian real estate to foreigners.
Posted by diver dan, Monday, 17 October 2016 8:25:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes, yes and ho hum. And as usual D.D is right on the money?

Simply put, the only answer to the worst aspects of globalisation lies in cooperative capitalism! And given it is applied by a government welded to bipartisan pragmatism, allows money generated inside communities to stay far longer, thereby allowing flow on economic factors to more thoroughly exhaust and as they do lift the economic well being of most of the community!

With one circulating dollar being allowed to do the work of seven as it changes multiple hands!

The most important cooperatives being community owned and operated credit unions, where folks can and do get housing loans at more favorable rates and conditions! And venture capital for new cooperative enterprises! And safer bets given the community involvement and commitment!

Apart from that, the most essential key is low cost energy! We need and use energy for absolutely everything in a western style economy! But not the energy of yesteryear that saw transmission towers march across the landscape and power that changed lives.

And by the addition of something as simple as a washing machine to every household that reduced the load on the shoulders of our mums, and accelerated productivity in almost unimagined ways! Nobody believed back then that we were harming the environment with Co2, methane or hydrocarbon fluorides.

Even so, the promoted rollout of SAFE CLEAN CHEAP thorium power could repeat the energy based revolution of yesteryear, in myriad ways not yet contemplated, like a miniaturized laser actuated thorium reactor, that may cost in real terms some $500.00 dollars to fuel and then be able to power your B double, for a century without refueling!

Or electricity able to be supplied from a similar source for just a dollar a year real cost, per household for 100 years! Enabling long overdue and quite massive decentralisation, accompanying myriad energy dependant, high tech industrialization and with it significantly more affordable housing!

That's how you do JOBS AND GROWTH! And as simple in most cases, in getting eternal/time wasting/time consuming, naysay government roadblocks removed!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 17 October 2016 9:57:10 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Catchy name coincidence?

I understand Kasey Chambers is an excellent country singer-songwriter to boot.
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 17 October 2016 9:59:29 AM
I don't have any suggestions for the wider issues of employment and housing but there are things that people can do on a personal level to reduce their poverty.
Firstly, and perhaps most important, people shouldn't have children they can't afford to raise!
I'm not talking about those who lose their job or become chronically unwell unexpectedly. I'm referring to single people and long term unemployed. Everyone has the right to have children, but no one has the right to expect others to support those children. We have so many children living in poverty because people who don't have secure incomes keep giving birth to them. Somehow we have to change this mindset.
On the issue of housing, where is it written that every one has the right to their own single accommodation? Or even a bedroom to themselves? All over the world people share. They live with entire families in one room. Or a single person has a share room in a house with others. Backpackers understand the realities of life, especially Asian ones. They happily share bedrooms with other travellers.
Why can't unemployed people share accommodation? Why can't pensioners who own their own homes rent out a bedroom or two to other pensioners who don't own their own home? Or even to uni students needing cheap rental? To me, that's a win win situation. The pensioner gets some added income and company, the renter gets cheap housing.
As an aged pensioner, I share my home with grandchildren. Some young adults on low income, the others children. Between us, we manage to live reasonably comfortably, pay the bills and know we have secure, comfortable housing.
It's not that hard.
Posted by Big Nana, Monday, 17 October 2016 10:03:00 AM
This author addresses many of the thoughts and ideas I've considered in coming up with my own solutions which I've just discussed on the 'Rest in Peace TINA thread'.

I'm assuming Anglicare Australia is looking to contribute to the Try, Test and Learn Fund.
http://www.dss.gov.au/review-of-australias-welfare-system/australian-priority-investment-approach-to-welfare/try-test-and-learn-fund
Posted by Armchair Critic, Monday, 17 October 2016 11:19:38 AM
Hey Diver Dan,

The first line of John Carney's article reads,"It wasn't greed (that caused the GFC)..." and then goes on to blame 'government policies'.
This seems to go back to Clinton and beyond, but in Clinton's case the aim was to increase home ownership from 64% to 70%. So -- as the story goes -- the financial institutions 'lowered their credit standards'.

Of course you could argue that whilst financial institutions were given the green light (or the greed light) to lower their credit standards, their get-out-of-jail card was always that real estate prices were on the rise, and since they had the mortgagee's down payment and subsequent payments, when it came repossession time they profited.

But when real estate prices plummeted there was no profit -- just a toxic piece of paper that was worth less that the original loan that got mindlessly shuffled about amongst various financial institutions.
Then we all learned the phrases 'toxic loans', 'sub-prime mortgages' etc.

I don't know of any Australian mandated policies analogous to the US policies, but the practice of lowering credit standards for the same means was rife here. I'm happy to be enlightened on this.

And speaking of ol' Bill Clinton: both Bill and Hillary were involved in the Whitewater real estate scandal, which dated back to the '70s and 80s. But it was the same old scam: sell 'em a property where they can't afford the payments -- and repossess at a profit.
Posted by Ingongruous, Monday, 17 October 2016 11:32:06 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. Page 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy