The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Integrity and identity politics > Comments

Integrity and identity politics : Comments

By Michael Thompson, published 13/9/2016

The Brisbane Writer's Festival has touched on a sore point of identity politics when the opening address by Lionel Shriver challenged the concept that only those who feel oppressed should be permitted to write or speak about it.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All
Hi Craig,

I think you're missing the point about terrorism: it's not the statistical probability that worries people, but the random possibility that some crazy bastard could start lunging at them for no reason, anywhere, any time.

Terrorism doesn't work necessarily by killing vast numbers of innocent people (although that helps) but by the sheer uncertainty, randomness, and pointlessness of Islamist attacks. The purpose is to terrorise. Randomness is a vital factor in making that work.

I'm more concerned about the quiet smiles of well-dressed, politely-spoken imams.

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Wednesday, 14 September 2016 1:33:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Craig,
No offense taken, and I too apologise to both yourself and Thomas for the insults and coming across harshly.
Those killings weren't your fault, you weren't the perpetrator, so I'm sorry for saying it but I assume you get the point that I was making.

But all these ideas of intolerance...
Why is it (like seriously) that I'm considered intolerant because I see whats played out in foreign countries and believe that one Australian life lost is too many?

The only thing I'm really intolerant of is the idea that it's ok to place Australian lives at risk in their own streets and homes.

You're honestly welcome to call me whatever you want regarding my stance on the matter, because I don't care, and I won't apologise for it.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Wednesday, 14 September 2016 3:28:05 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Armchair, you've not upset me, no apology needed. Have I called you intolerant? I don't think so, nor care if people are intolerant, your business who you have love/like.

I'm intolerant of doorknocker Mormons and Christians selling religion and very intolerant of Scientologists bailing me up in the street to do a questionaire scam.

I have zero tolerance for ISIS/terrorists all over. Parents who encourage their youth to suicide bombing should be certified into insane asylums for life. Build more insane asylums I say.

I have little tolerance/acceptance for how the police handled the Monis seige, I would have ordered an attack within an hour! Even less for the AFP/secret service not monitoring Monis 24/7 already.

I have zero tolerance for the West and corrupt lying middle east govts, including australia for failing to blow ISIS to kingdom years ago. That's an inexcusable disgrace too. I track back responsibility for these "failures, neglect, incompetence" back to our elected reps/govts - LNP, Labor, Greens, Independents all of them.

I also note that those well known Mossies who went to Syria with their kids and cut people's heads off, were already known with police records long before they became pseudo-muslim islamofascist nutcases.

I have zero tolerance for Facebook & others used by ISIS fanatical lowlifes and our Govts impotence in shutting their 'tech networks' down - while pretending they knew within hours that Russia and China were responsible for crashing the census (a total lie btw)

If I was the world's dictator, I'd have Facebook et al shut down immediately and permanently until such times as they can PROVE BEYOND DOUBT they have the systems in pace to not allow one Jihadi terrorist access to publish their violent propaganda - or get lost, you're out of business for facilitating a terrorist network!

I think I know exactly how you feel and what 'frightens' you Armchair. I just do not blame 1.6 billion global Muslims nor those living in Australia because of it. They didn't do it and they don;t agree with it anymore than you or I do. IMO.
Posted by Thomas O'Reilly, Wednesday, 14 September 2016 6:17:21 PM
Joe,
The reason terrorism works is because people among the "terrorised" run around jumping at shadows and get everyone upset. Any pack of predators, from dogs to lions, when attacking a herd of prey animals knows that the first thing to do is to get them running. The job is made easier if one or two of the herd can be spooked, since they'll infect the rest. We have a very easily spooked herd here on OLO.

Armchair Critic,
It's all in your head mate. What you're doing is reacting to things that you wouldn't pay any attention to if they weren't associated with "Muslims" and "terrorism". If you mixed in a broader circle, and you stopped reading fear-mongering from (non-Muslim) people trying to stir up trouble for their own ends you'd find that your own fear level and your ability to assess the genuine risk would both benefit.

Your Irish ancestry should be a clue about the problems associated with demonising people based on the behaviour of a few bad actors.

TO'R,
Yes, the vast majority of "Muslim terrorists" are just standard-issue nutjobs who are themselves victims of the tiny handful of psychopaths who've done as psychopaths do everywhere and risen to the top of their local tree, simply because they are prepared to tread on other people's heads and able to make them think they like it.
Posted by Craig Minns, Thursday, 15 September 2016 8:51:11 AM
//She asks "What does my headscarf mean to you?"
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-02-12/yassmin-abdel-magied-book-memoir-islamic-youth-leader/7160458
Well for me it means she'll never be a true blue Aussie, no matter what any piece of paper says.//

Because Australians don't wear scarves on their heads?

Well I wish somebody had told me that in Scouts. We used to unroll our scarves and wear them like a bandanna on some occasions. I'm amazed that all the citizenship badges I earned never required me to learn that wearing a scarf in such a fashion was grounds for the revoking of Australian citizenship. If only I had known! Now I'll be left stateless!

Personally, I'm not sure why some people get so worked up about other people's fashion choices. Unless it's fat chicks in tights, of course: that really is unAustralian and the fatties should be exiled if they're not prepared to dress more appropriately.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 15 September 2016 9:25:04 AM
Hi Craig,

As you say, "The reason terrorism works is because people among the "terrorised" run around jumping at shadows and get everyone upset. Any pack of predators, from dogs to lions, when attacking a herd of prey animals knows that the first thing to do is to get them running. The job is made easier if one or two of the herd can be spooked, since they'll infect the rest.... "

My point exactly. It doesn't have to be many, merely random, utterly unpredictable, could happen to anybody, anywhere, any time. Exactly.

And as you say further, terrorists tend to be " .... nutjobs who are themselves victims of the tiny handful of psychopaths who've done as psychopaths do everywhere and risen to the top of their local tree .... "

Exactly. Are you referring to a minority (no doubt) of neatly-dressed, quietly-spoken imams ? The 'good cops' to the 'bad cops' ? Those in for the long haul ? Shari'a across Australia, bit by bit, by 2100 ?

Cheers,

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Thursday, 15 September 2016 10:05:33 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy