The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Goodbye Menzies > Comments

Goodbye Menzies : Comments

By Everald Compton, published 2/9/2016

The great political party, The Liberals, formed by Robert Menzies seven decades ago, is in its death throes. It has been assassinated by right wing zealots.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All
Craig, it's not always about you, relax. I was replying to Shadow Minister's moments.
You're not the only mature age student in the universe. As to what I've done recently, nothing much, I'm 20 years older than you and I'm not interested in more formal education. I was awarded a Masters in economic history when I was in my mid forties. I can remember a report about a woman receiving a PhD I when she was in her early eighties, now that is impressive.

Now let's stop the 'mine is bigger nonsense', it's pointless.
Posted by mac, Wednesday, 7 September 2016 2:48:06 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
mac,
I was asking a genuine question: what have you done lately you're proud of? I think we here in the Land of Oz are all too ready to diminish even minor achievement, including our own.

If you're 20 years older than I am you have 20 years more experience and have had at least 10 years post work to achieve whatever you couldn't find time for while you were younger. Tell us about it: we could do with some positivity around here.

It's a crying shame that the usual suspects tend to derail any effort at creating a more positive environment for discussion. They're old enough to know better.
Posted by Craig Minns, Wednesday, 7 September 2016 3:11:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Craig,

I admit, you showed no intelligent analysis whatsoever (not silly as you wrongfully quoted), but at least you have stopped with the ridiculous assertion that your post was not an ad hominem.

Your second wondrous deduction that I am an ardent supporter of a poster that I have never mentioned makes me wonder whether your "university" grants degrees for attendance?

I used the term "flaunt" to try and be subtle as I generally find people that try to name drop unrelated academics are wannabe posers.

And if you think I am just being pissy, I am the same age as you and have recently finished my 4th degree with my first being electrical engineering.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 7 September 2016 8:36:41 PM
Shadow Minister, an ad hominem argument is designed to discredit the opposing point of view by attacking the character of the person who holds it. I did no such thing, since no argument was offered that could be discredited. I merely characterised a set of behaviours that I have observed in the poster in question.

Now I'd love to have a go at your own behaviour, but it seems unfair to do so while you're in your cups. Perhaps once the hangover wears off you can use one of those rolls of "diploma" to wipe up the mess...

You see the difference between you and I is that I stand behind what I say; it can be checked easily with a quick google search among other methods. You, on the other hand have nothing but your pseudonym and your rather shabby reputation for unethical and dishonest conduct on this site. You've created that situation for yourself, so have another drink, you've earnt it...
Posted by Craig Minns, Wednesday, 7 September 2016 9:04:25 PM
Dear Shadow Minister,

I feel if you were to be a touch less equivocal regarding Hasbeen and ttbn then I would happily to recognise that your right to challenge Craig. If it is indeed the case that you do not read their posts then I am prepared to accept you are neither pissy nor failing to be even handed.

Perhaps it would be appropriate to park the subtlety since as it stands now, without such a clarification, you exude pissiness.

Just out of interest I'm wondering if a cogent argument was put that ttbn's post exhibited all the hallmarks of “Kohlberg's Stage 2 of pre-conventional morality”, would that be cause to review your assessment of Craig's post?
Posted by SteeleRedux, Wednesday, 7 September 2016 9:20:17 PM
Craig,

Losing an argument and you go full troll, abuse, lying, misquoting, narcissism, hypocrisy, tantrum, etc.

All in all a classic example of “Kohlberg's Stage 2 of preconventional morality”

P.S. Earned not earnt

I refer you to another scholarly work, the Oxford Dictionary http://www.oed.com which will help you in your endeavours to educate yourself.

SR,

All the hallmarks? in one post?
Posted by Shadow Minister, Thursday, 8 September 2016 11:52:30 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 6
  7. 7
  8. 8
  9. Page 9
  10. 10
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy