The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Meet the family > Comments

Meet the family : Comments

By Stuart Horrex, published 1/9/2016

I, like my fiancé, am an Australian citizen, so the natural question is, why should we be forced to leave our own country to get married?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All
I very much agree with the author:

"clearly a vote in the Parliament is the way to go"

And I'd add "just one vote in Parliament". Not a two vote responsibility avoiding Parliamentary circus.

Our over-paid, responsibility ducking Parliamentarians, seem to advocate:

1. Holding a vote in Parliament to legally hold a Plebiscite

2. Hold a Plebiscite which may, or may not, influence

3. Holding another vote in Parliament...
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 1 September 2016 5:58:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Jardine K. Jardine, made the point early, The government needs to get out of attempts to regulate/register sexual relationships (I'll include the proviso - between consenting adult humans).

That point seems to have been ignored. Government regulation of "marriage" appears to achieve no significant legal outcomes other than some extra costs if one or both of the parties involved decide to end the relationship.

There are no direct legal penalties for breaching the basic conditions that the relationship was started under (typically fidelity, for better and for worse type stuff). There is no legal requirement to procreate, no legal requirement to engage in sexual activity with any regularity, not even a requirement to live together. There is very little difference in practical terms if the law does get involved to a de-facto relationship except that a married "couple" mostly know when the marriage became a marriage, the de-facto relationship status is less clear.

There is no viable reason for the government to be there.

If there is some important social outcome requiring a legal framework then the law should start reflecting those reasons. Alternatively if we do think the feel good value of government recognition is important then open it up to any nominated relationship between two or more consenting adults. Not just same sex but as others have pointed out hat includes pluralistic and possibly other scenarios that I've not considered.

As it stands the current marriage laws are a toothless artefact with no real meaning that need either disposal or a significant overhaul (and not just tacking on one extra category of eligibility).

R0bert
Posted by R0bert, Thursday, 1 September 2016 6:48:38 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Alan B.:

"Phanto: I didn't invent the surprisingly successful Irish model, just avocate emulating it! Particularly in view of the fact that family and friends know who you are and that your sexual bias was conferred by nature rather than misguided personal choice!"

It is not a very good reason to vote in favour of SSM. The vote should be successful because it is logical. Friends and family should vote for it because it is reasonable and not because of any emotional attachments to homosexual people.

The vote may have been successful in Ireland but there is no way you could tell whether it was as a result of the behaviour you are advocating. It may well have been successful because most people thought it was reasonable.
Posted by phanto, Thursday, 1 September 2016 6:57:07 PM
Phanto: Family and intimate friends have a much better chance of knowing who you are! Rather than hostile strangers who condemn you for just being who you are!

And that's why I believe the gay community have the right of friend and family to ask and require their real friends to side with them!

But particularly when the required legislation simply does not impinge on any other or the rights in law!

All the anti gay community want, is to prohibit the private behavior of consenting adults, who after all not asking for special treatment, just the "human" rights the straight community take for granted for themselves!

And just that, not softening our stand on pedophilia, criminals who in my view should be taken out and shot? Moreover, I have nosympathy for unnatural beastialty, which is entirely unrelated!

I hope my gay friends, that I've known all my life, will one day be able to marry and raise children who will never ever be able to be indoctrinated to become gay; any more than any teacher was able by any means to make left handed person to become right handed!

I mean who among us would prohibit marriage between two left handed people? Nobody! Right? because they were born that way and that would just be immoral discrimination against folks for daring to be born different!

I intend to vote to extend the right we take as our birthright to others, even those daring to be born different!
I rest my case! Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 1 September 2016 7:38:19 PM
Alan B

Under same-sex marriage laws, parents can be under total control by the state.

"Parents can expect state interference when it comes to moral values, parenting, and education—and not just in school. The state has access into your home to supervise you as the parent, to judge your suitability. And if the state doesn’t like what you are teaching your children, the state will attempt to remove them from your home"

"If your beliefs, values, and political opinions are different from the state’s, you risk losing your professional license, job, or business, and even your children."

http://www.newfeminism.co/2015/07/warning-from-canada/
Posted by interactive, Thursday, 1 September 2016 7:54:06 PM
I think AllanB consistently pushes forward an army of straw men, in his quest for the ultimate prize of normalising homosexuality. He consistently fails to recognise, either deliberately or through ignorance, homosexuality as abstract behaviour!

The question is NOT; Will homosexuals be better protected from discrimination in society, by the granting of equal rights at the alter, but more critically, what will be the damage to a NORMAL society, by granting the concession.
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 2 September 2016 7:27:04 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy