The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The moral basis of the Right > Comments

The moral basis of the Right : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 15/8/2016

Built into the ‘conservative’ frame of mind is also a preference for, or a kind of belief in, the notion of an organic society, which is not just a set of individuals.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All
Thanks again Don for a thought provoking essay.

And as before, my thanks to all Posters for a stimulating read.

Diver Dan referred to "...picking our own point on the spectrum...", and perhaps that's pretty close to where we are at.

By this I mean (in part) that the days of short, pithy "catch-all" phrases to summarize either Left or Right are long gone.

For example, if anyone avers that the Right is all about "small government", then even a cursory examination of number of M.P.'s, public officials, Quangos, etc,. **per capita** should quickly convince them otherwise.

In any public discussion these days, and particularly on this topic, it has almost got to the point of prefacing one's remarks with a glossary of terms.

Don refers to this when he says: "If I have to use any of these labels at all, I try to speak and write so it is quite clear what I mean."

Consequently, and notwithstanding the many excellent suggestions already posted, I find that for brevity's sake alone, I have to agree with Don's conclusion that: "Debate and discussion are much better, I think, if we dispense with the labels altogether, and talk about specific policies."
Posted by Pilgrim, Tuesday, 16 August 2016 8:28:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy