The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > NSW's illl-considered ban on greyhound racing: the thin end of the wedge > Comments

NSW's illl-considered ban on greyhound racing: the thin end of the wedge : Comments

By Brendan O'Reilly, published 11/7/2016

The Sydney Morning Herald also (separately) reported that over 250,000 healthy cats and dogs are destroyed in Australia every year because there are not enough homes for them.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All
I have never been a fan of blanket bans, and while this ban is unlike the knee jerk brain fart of Juliar, and Baird has done an investigation and report, I still believe that with sufficient regulations and punishments, the racing could continue.
Posted by Shadow Minister, Tuesday, 12 July 2016 2:14:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
New South Wales Premier Mike Baird, Leader of the Liberal party, announcing banning greyhound racing in N.S.W. could be compared to Federal government: Kevin Rudd suddenly ending insulation government subsidises; Julia Gillard suddenly ending exporting of Northern Australian live cattle; Tony Abbott suddenly ending renewable energy industry subsidises. Many: privately owned businesses; share holder investors... involved in long term subsidised projects, finding themselves suffering from long term financial obligations hardship, having lost customer support.

I have long thought that greyhound racing would be difficult to fix race outcomes, being that greyhounds don't have jockeys and saddle weights. I could assume greyhounds are full on running after the lure.
Horses on the other hand can be trained to run over to the fence after leaving a barrier and run behind other horses right up to the end of a race as there is no lure incentive.
Jockeys can whip horses, yet, if horses are trained to follow other horses, than what could be assumed by whipped horses is to follow any horses in front.

I could assume the greyhound racing industry was more privately owned being that breading greyhounds was easier and cheaper than breading race horses and running race horses on a track. The expense of: breading successful race horses that can compete against other race horses; selling race horses; training race horses... would be too difficult and too much risk to accumulated wealth for family owned industries. The horse racing industry banks would not find risk worthy of leading money to. That the horse racing industry is controlled and financed by an endless money printing establishment.
Posted by steve101, Friday, 15 July 2016 2:31:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Horse owners can become very rich or lose all wealth they have trying to become very rich, competing against many horses. Only emotionally unwise people who feel winning prize money against a field of many horses competing for prize money, would risk the effort. The same emotions used to buy into race horse syndicates, many investors losing money.
Cheating, drugging to make competing horses slower. Gangsters wanting horses to run slow increasing gangsters chances of controlling outcomes, to win gambling bets. When there is easy money to be won, there are people willing to be corrupt.

My argument is that gambling on horse racing, athletics and sport industry is rigged, controlled by the establishment, because they can. Competitors pressure to compete has been removed, competitors knowing that winner outcomes have been determined before competitions begin. Athletes need to constantly maintain fitness, worrying about competition winning anxieties have been removed: no real need for increase performance drug taking; no need for constant practising; no need to worry how athletes will perform on a specified day; no need to worry about being a one day, one event champion.

The gambling sports entertainment business are too important to allow individual competitors and teams to control winning and other gambling statistics outcomes, athletes trying so vigorously to win competitions, the entertainment value to audiences would be soured.

Merely because top sports professionals are found guilty of taking band substances, adding to ideas that professional sports personalities are doing everything to win competitions, merely uses sports professionals opportunity to retire on top of their game, to be embarrassed having been discovered cheating. If the establishment controls sports professionals lives as part of the contract with the devil, retiring after contracts conclude under a scandal of taking band substances, is a small price to pay for years of being on top of the game, receiving more money and better hotel accommodation than lower ranking players.
Posted by steve101, Friday, 15 July 2016 2:35:47 PM
When huge prize money figures being awarded to winning players, the value of prize money increases the importance of sports events, I say are little more than a lying delusion. Sports enthusiastic people once having judged their own emotional gratification on the amount of money being awarded to athlete winners, will no doubt refuse to except sport events are rigged.

Sporting athletes who have been in media attention for many years who often being written about in magazines, become the hero figures of sports loving enthusiasts. Changing rankings, star athletes being defeated by unknown athletes destroys readers and viewers barracking fantasy, feeling a rewarding delusion of a winners achievement.

Sports loving people are followers of teams and individuals, often supporting winners, feeling winners gratification. Having a limited selected number of teams and individual players, allows limited need for sports enthusiasts to follow a limited number of names in sports enthusiasts favourite sports.

I speculate that the greyhound industry was becoming difficult to control by the establishment due to increasing numbers of privately owned greyhound trainers and greyhound racing competitors. I could assume too many privately owned greyhounds were winning prize money, that most previously won races were won by establishment controlled greyhound trainers.
Any whistle blowers lifting the lid on whatever cruelty to animals that may have happened, whistle blowers may have been influenced by the establishment.

I have absolutely no evidence, nor did I consult any person in the greyhound industry for their opinions, nor did I read any Internet readings. My theory is based more on all other sports activities that I have theorised that are rigged for maximising entertainment values and controlling winning results in the gambling industry.
Posted by steve101, Friday, 15 July 2016 2:40:36 PM
“The Special Commission of Inquiry into the Greyhound Racing Industry in New South Wales was set up in May 2015 largely as a reaction to a Four Corners programme aired in February 2015. Its report was released on 16 June 2016. It is important to note that the report itself did not recommend shutting down the NSW greyhound racing industry. This was a NSW Government decision. “

The ban is another example of autocratic Mike Baird running rough-shod over his parliamentary colleagues and the people of NSW.

While the NSW Liberals obviously lack the backbone to oppose Baird, there is no good reason why the Nationals should accept the ban. Honourable Nationals members should join Labor, the Shooters Party and the Christian Democrats to reverse Baird’s capitulation to the extremist animal rights movement.

It would have been far more effective to replace the government-appointed regulator charged with stamping out the live baiting.
Posted by Raycom, Wednesday, 20 July 2016 12:50:26 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy