The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > It doesn’t have to be a circus > Comments

It doesn’t have to be a circus : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 8/7/2016

If Malcolm Turnbull cannot bring himself to negotiate he needs to find colleagues who can, and who can deliver afterwards.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Aiden you do not have a clue:

If we are seeing falling world energy consumption per capita, which all of the energy statistics indicate, it should not be surprising if world GDP growth per capita is falling as well. The recent sharp drop of world oil prices corresponds with the decrease in world per capita energy consumption. World per capita energy consumption hit a peak in 2013. Additionally the drop in coal consumption may be resulting in low world economic growth.

The apparent coincidence in timing may simply reflect the fact that the same forces that cause falling commodity prices are also causing low economic growth. Growing wage disparity and lack of growth in debt seem to be factors in causing both. If workers at the bottom of the hierarchy could better afford the output of the world economy, with or without additional debt, the world economy would have a better chance of growing.
I don’t see much hope for fixing a world whose economy is moving in the direction of shrinkage. Instead, the situation is likely to get worse, until the financial system collapses.

A major impediment to getting a rational discussion of the issues is the inability of a large share of the population to deal with what appears to be a potentially dire outcome.

Until you grasp this Aiden, you will continue to rant on about debt being virtually meaningless when in fact it is part of the reason the global economy is so fragile and heading toward collapse.

Forget Malcolm or Bill, our future fate was baked into the cake long ago.
Posted by Geoff of Perth, Friday, 8 July 2016 4:49:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I don't see Malcolm having much difficulty in negotiating a workable majority with other small L liberals? And using that working majority to get some contentious issues resolved? Via a binding plebiscite!

That said, the real difficulty has been a backbench that simply rejects the will of the people and in favour of autocratic conservative policy?

And a trend that goes as far back as John Howard, our most autocratic Leader? And a raft of non core promises inclusive of his GST! Forced through against the expressed will of around 87% of the polled electorate.

The real circus began with the Tampa incident that allowed the soft underbelly of fully imported xenophobia to flourish? And he holds one nation in contempt?

If there are difficulties ahead, it will be found inside the party and on the backbenches and in the moral blackmail some folks think is the way honorable men (conservatives) conduct themselves?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 8 July 2016 5:16:31 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Hasbeen

Two things bother me mate:

1. The "massive pork barrelling" in the swing electorate I'm in won't be payed now, because the dill who drew the pork has been voted out.There should be pork barrel contracts!

2. Like when Turnbull was Opposition Leader he'll get so stressed out, managing a situation he can't control, that he will be party-room ejected this year - with some nasty, like Abbott, replacing him.

Not Abbott? Reckon:

- Julie won't want it.

- Dutton and Morrison not yet ready.

- Andrews, very ordinary.

- Pyne! Flapping Diddums.

The outsiders, Cormann or Sussan Ley, might be the LNP best?

Planters
http://www.aph.gov.au/about_parliament/parliamentary_departments/parliamentary_library/parliamentary_handbook/current_ministry_list
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 8 July 2016 6:09:40 PM
Aidan,

You must be the only person in Australia not concerned about the interest accrued by politicians' borrowing.

If big borrowing and high interest is OK, why are politicians, but more importantly respected economists, worried about our current credit rating.

Why are ratings agencies, now looking very hard at Australia - even suggesting they might lower our rating - not saying, "But we are not too worried because Australia is financially sovereign."? I have only ever heard that phrase from you - certainly not from any well-credentialled, professional finanance experts. It sounds like money printing to me.

What are the policies you say that "people like (me)" support that are harming the economy? Do they have any policies except borrow big and spend big, and to hell with future.

I do not have any formal qualifications in economics. Do you? Because, without any malice felt by me, I have to say that you are not very convincing. If you were convincing, surely somebody in authority would listen to you? Finally, is it logical that Australia and the rest of the Western is going down the gurgler when, if you are right, you have the solutions?
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 8 July 2016 6:13:56 PM
The idea of a hung parliament is not the problem - the problem is with the duopoly which passes for major parties which believe that the public must chose one or other of them to govern.
To use the oft-quoted comparison, it's like Woolworths competing with Coles to sew up the food retail market... except that Aldi has moved in!

Both major parties are unresponsive to what the bulk of our population want, and don't respect their wishes - they tend to be authoritarian in outlook rather than collegiate.

A parliament where neither has a large lead means that more influence on policy formulation can be made by independent members or groups of them, and could spell the end of ritualistic habitual party allegiance by uncaring or uninformed voters.
Posted by Ponder, Friday, 8 July 2016 6:28:57 PM
Aidan

Yep Australia needs to keep borrowing, borrowing and borrowing - no worries mate.

Debt and consequences of? - no worries mate.

Interest repayments continuing to grow with no reduction to principal - no worries mate.

When Australia's credit rating drops - no worries mate.

Basic maths knowledge - priceless!
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 8 July 2016 7:13:04 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy