The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The race to be the silliest: alternative energy and the election > Comments

The race to be the silliest: alternative energy and the election : Comments

By Don Aitkin, published 10/6/2016

Alas, all the parties seem to be about spending rather than saving, an odd approach when your cupboard is bare.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
rehctub; I never believe ANYTHING that a politician says.
Posted by Robert LePage, Tuesday, 14 June 2016 8:53:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Luciferase,

You're right about technology, but the example you gave was a bad one, as it was their energy inefficiency (not a shortage of tungsten) which was the reason for the old light bulbs to be phased out.

Gallium, which is in the LED based ones, is much scarcer than tungsten.

_______________________________________________________________________________________

rehctub,

I believe we can actually produce jobs and growth!
I believe how much of those we get will be the result of political decisions.
However I do not believe that what Turnbull thinks will bring jobs and growth actually will.
Posted by Aidan, Tuesday, 14 June 2016 10:23:32 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Robert le Page wins the position of court jester on this thread for his contribution of the most stupid question:” What do you propose to do after the resources are gone?”
The same as was done before the resources were gone, if ever they are gone. The court jester gives no basis for his quaint supposition that the resources will be gone..
The government intends not to rely on resources:
“The successful transition of Australia’s economy from the resources-led boom will be fuelled by innovation, investment in a more diverse range of industries, and support for businesses to create more jobs.”
https://www.liberal.org.au/coalitions-policy-more-jobs-and-growth-through-increased-trade-and-investment
Posted by Leo Lane, Tuesday, 14 June 2016 11:21:41 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I have started reading this eBook by Richard Heinberg and David Fridley.
It illustrates the need for alternative energy and the problems of
getting from where we are at the present to where we need to be.
I am only up to chapter three but I have learnt a few things.
For instance that there is a steep increase in cost as alternative
systems approach 100% reliability. I don't think it is an exponential
rate of rise but it does not look surmountable.

http://ourrenewablefuture.org/

There are eleven chapters plus introduction and acknowledgements.
Have a read, I have found it very interesting.
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 15 June 2016 8:36:04 AM
Richard Heinberg has just put a post on the resiliance web site about
the book and its less than enthusiastic conclusion for alternative energy.

http://tinyurl.com/hkjhmaq
Posted by Bazz, Wednesday, 15 June 2016 9:17:01 AM
Dear Leo Lane: Your "most stupid answer to my perfectly simple question is as usual with people like you an attempt to rubbish the questioner.

*The government intends not to rely on resources:
“The successful transition of Australia’s economy from the resources-led boom will be fuelled by innovation, investment in a more diverse range of industries, and support for businesses to create more jobs.*

This reads as if it came straight out of a liberal party manifesto. It makes as much sense as your answer to my question.
You are really going to have to do better than that if you are going to brainwash the bogans voters with the lib propaganda.
Posted by Robert LePage, Wednesday, 15 June 2016 10:42:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. Page 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy