The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Will America survive a Trump administration? > Comments

Will America survive a Trump administration? : Comments

By Sam Ben-Meir, published 8/6/2016

To still think that a Trump defeat is a forgone conclusion is not only overly optimistic, but plays into the hands of Trump's presidential bid.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Well doesn't this article say it all. It highlights most that has gone wrong with the US & our western world in the last 40 years.

The arrogance of the academic politically correct brigade & the elites, who are horrified that the little man should be able to live a decent life. Galled into such rants as this by the thought that a plumber should earn as much as an academic, & a property developer more than a whole college full of them.

One thing is certain, Trump will make a much better president than any academic, particularly one of the airy fairy bunch in the humanities. God we need a cultural revolution to rid us of these leeches.
Posted by Hasbeen, Wednesday, 8 June 2016 10:08:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hasbeen, obviously you aren't aware that Trump graduated from the University of Pensilvania with a Bachelor of Science degree in 1968 (Wikipedia)?
So you see, even some of your dreaded 'academics' can still end up as clueless Neanderthals like Trump has...

I can't see Americans overwhelmingly voting for this bloke in the end, because surely common sense will prevail!
For most of the likely lads on this forum, the election of a black man as president was surely a terrible shock to them. However, the thought of a female President is frightening the hell out of their tiny little minds.

Go for it Hilary :)
Posted by Suseonline, Thursday, 9 June 2016 12:04:11 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It’s not just that no-one knows where Trump stands on anything, it’s that so many of his policies (all off-the-cuff, mind you) would never pass congress, and he would surely have to know this. Policies like banning all Muslims from entering the country, keeping a register of all Muslims already in the country, making Mexico pay for this big wall he reckons he’s going to build, legislating to punish women who have abortions.

Or has he changed his mind on those things again? I can’t keep up with the flip-flopping.

It seems Trump supporters, here and all around the world, think he’s just a bit of an oaf who is at least not cut from the same mold as regular politicians; that he at least speaks his mind. But even if he were actually speaking his mind, it goes beyond that. This is a guy who is not in touch with reality at all, and appears to think that holding the most powerful office in the free world will be a game, given that he certainly thinks running for it is.

It’s strange how OLO’s conservative mob are capable of seeing the fact that Rudd and Turnbull were/are only in it to stroke their own egos, and yet are incapable of seeing this in Trump despite it being far more obvious. Indeed, Trump's polling appears to be so gaffe-proof that he could state outright that he's only in it for himself and none of his supporters would even flinch.

If Trump does win the presidency, it will at least be amusing to see that, for the second time in a row, a Republican president was a bumbling and inarticulate fool. Instead of the 'Bushisms' that were a constant source of amusement, we'll have 'Trumpisms'. Bush, however, was mild - a statesman even - compared to the diplomatic nightmare that would be a Trump presidency. Nevertheless, I expect the silence, from those on OLO who find it in themselves to complain about Obama, will be just as deathly as it was when Bush was president.
Posted by AJ Philips, Thursday, 9 June 2016 8:35:27 AM
//Or has he changed his mind on those things again? I can’t keep up with the flip-flopping.

It seems Trump supporters, here and all around the world, think he’s just a bit of an oaf who is at least not cut from the same mold as regular politicians; that he at least speaks his mind.//

I remember an Australian politician who was not cut from the same mold as other politicians - an oaf who spoke his mind, and was known by then-PM John Howard as 'Mr. Flip-Flop'. His name?

Mark Latham

If Trump gets in, it will only be for one term. Unless he gets impeached or assassinated, possibilities I would not discount.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Thursday, 9 June 2016 8:57:54 AM
Toni Lavis, "If Trump gets in, it will only be for one term. Unless he gets impeached or assassinated, possibilities I would not discount"

How do you hate like that? If you could do it, you and some others really need to take a break from their far left (or far right) echo chambers.

http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/future_tense/2015/05/facebook_news_feed_study_why_the_far_left_and_far_right_are_stuck_in_their.html

As far as discretion is involved, there is very little of the budget available for any incoming President to put his/her unique stamp on policy.

What you should be considering instead are the wasted opportunities within existing, necessary programs. For example, it would have been a very large advance for blacks in the US if Obama had not squibbed to the prevailing political correctness to make 'gun control' ie inanimate guns the issue and a convenient diversion for a lame duck President.

A statesman would have lifted the rug on underlying social problems as the prime cause of violence. A statesman would have made reducing violence per se as a national priority and tasked a prestigious university to conduct independent research into violence, no strings attached, to advise policy. And independent, comprehensive national audits of justice, enforcement and social welfare systems.

Honestly, is there any wonder how 'lame duck' presidents earned that nick?

BTW, none of that is to say that there shouldn't be gun regulation, where the strongest control is licencing. The example was chosen as an easy example of a cynical Australian PM and a cynical US President doing what politicians do, oversimplify complex issues, dumb down & mushroom the electorate and give them a mantra and a fall guy instead.

It all sounds great in the echo chamber of populist politics though.
Posted by onthebeach, Thursday, 9 June 2016 10:11:19 AM
Arjay,
They? I thought there was only one option. War.

Suseonline,
If Trump wins, it wont be because voters were sexist.

onthebeach,
I don't think Toni's comment was hateful.
It was blunt but honest and I like that about her comments.
Like it or not, there's a better than usual chance of an assassination, as he's is going against the existing political establishment.
He might enact some crazy laws and that big ego might get him into trouble, so its possible he could get impeached. I think all the Presidents with their executive powers might have too much power to get caught for anything nowadays though.

I believe a smart President would close the borders and bring back jobs which is exactly what Trump plans to do.

Also, I think it must be really hard for all the people who oppose and criticise Donald Trump, because they really don't understand whats going on.
It occurs to me that they just can't rationally make sense of it, they're completely bewildered and when you step back and look at it it's somewhat amusing.

The truth, what Aussies just cant get their head around...

Americans are sick of the status quo.
They are tired of the establishment ruling their lives and things never getting any better.
Governments intruding in their lives with more rules and regulations.
The people have lost faith in the government.
Some haven't had wage increases in two decades.
They are sick of the lies, frauds and deceptions.
They want real change not just Washington's rhetoric and being treated like idiots.

That's why they're voting for Trump.
Their not misguided fools - it's you guys that don't get it.

Your guys are victims of the pro-left media that has been trying to convince you how bad he is..
In my opinion, you just bought into the campaign rhetoric, not the real feeling amongst Americans that's all.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Thursday, 9 June 2016 1:30:40 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy