The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Milked-dry: government meddling is the problem for milk industry, not the solution > Comments

Milked-dry: government meddling is the problem for milk industry, not the solution : Comments

By Johnny Kahlbetzer, published 26/5/2016

The price of temporary water, on a market increasingly controlled by governments, has increased from $30 per megalitres to almost $300 per megalitres as a direct result of the water buybacks.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
Cow's milk is not really suitable for human consumption and once pasteurised, milk has already lost most its nutrients.

There is no basis for government subsidising anything, let alone unhealthy products.

If government wishes to help dairy farmers, then it should allow them to sell unpasteurised milk, which despite the drawbacks and risks is at least nutritional, in more demand and could fetch the farmers premium prices.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Thursday, 26 May 2016 11:43:28 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Ever heard the expression, if it ain't broke don't fix it?

And exactly what happened when ideologically offended troglodytes were handed control and deregulated a mostly family owned cooperative industry that was once protected by a government guaranteed floor price.

And as a still Australian owned enterprise, would have been able to go head to head with our now foreign masters, whose management costs are much more costly than the cooperative model.

All those (be careful what you wish for) folks complaining now about (milk and sugar) government overseen outcomes, were first in the queue to over leverage in order grab former family farms and embrace dog eat dog free market models.

This is how a free market model operates and adjusts! Get used to it.

If the big two won't pay enough for the milk? Sell some of the older less productive cows, and don't cover the heifers this year, to in effect guarantee a future domestic shortfall? Which will ensure farmers become price setters for a change?

The taxpayer is already on the hook with the same government handout benefit other much less well resourced Aussies are expected to survive on.

Me, if I was asked to agree to a retrospective price contraction; I'd say that's a breach of contract and look for someone else to buy my production!

And underline my determination with other equally affected (former millionaire) farmers, pour the milk on the parliamentary pavement for the two or three days it would take for one of the big two to capitulate with a return to decent prices.

Or instead, I'd offer their competition sole supply at cost plus 10%?

And better than selling, so called over production, at a loss!

In conclusion let me add I've never bought anything but branded milk!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Thursday, 26 May 2016 12:16:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The 2700 gl was a response to the climate scam. It followed earlier confected scares by the Wentworth Group that claimed we would be inundated with salt unless irrigation was sharply reduced.

Garnaut said that we were in a continuous dry period and irrigated ag in the MD had at best 50 years.

All these myths are now shown to be false. We should immediately start reselling the bought water . After all the budget deficit need some help and the policy is crippling ag.
Posted by alanjohn, Thursday, 26 May 2016 8:04:55 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy