The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Can renewables meet public and political expectations? > Comments

Can renewables meet public and political expectations? : Comments

By Tom Biegler, published 20/5/2016

The prospects for renewable energy have been oversold. We need to prepare for the possibility that renewables cannot supply all future energy needs.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Alan B,

It's all here about Lithium Ion, at Wiki.
I note battery life of 3 years, nothing about 25 years.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium-ion_battery#Battery_life
Posted by JF Aus, Sunday, 22 May 2016 4:43:40 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Excellent article, Tom. Many thanks.

One 'renewable' technology I'm interested in is waste to energy plants. They are being built in large numbers in Europe and the US, producing green electricity and hugely reducing the volume of waste going to landfill. If one accepts they are sustainable, my questions are:
1. how much waste does a modern developed urban community produce per year which can be converted to energy via a waste to energy plant and 2. what proportion of such a community's electricity needs can be met by burning their waste in W2E plants?

In other words, do W2E plants offer much hope to significantly supplement the electricity produced by solar and wind, remembering that W2E plants can operate 24 hours a day?
Posted by Bernie Masters, Monday, 23 May 2016 11:07:12 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Aidan

As long as "cheap finance" is available, anything can outcompete anything you fool.

If, as you assert, renewables are more economical than fossil fuels, then there's no need for government to do anything, is there?

And if they're not, then there's no justification of government action.

The whole field is just nonsense on stilts. If it were not, it's supporters would voluntarily pay for it themselves, and support everyone else's freedom to choose, and there would be no issue.
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Monday, 23 May 2016 12:30:51 PM
Yes, renewables can meet expectations. The cost of solar, wind energy systems and battery storage are dropping. From a personal point of view some years ago I decided to put superannuation savings in Australian Ethical Investments, who invest in these industries and they have provided a good return: https://www.australianethical.com.au/

Australia's economy is decoupling from energy, to some extent. As an example, education is Australia’s fourth largest export industry. I am speaking on this at EduTech in Brisbane next week: http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2016/05/future-of-tertiary-education-in.html

Tom W.
Posted by tomw, Monday, 23 May 2016 12:39:38 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
JF;sorry I can't direct you to a link, given I was listening to a lecture from the owner of the new tesla giga battery factory. Which was in relation to breakthrough technologies, which include titanium diodes, graphene and nano technology that can quite literally double the storage capacity to weight, as well as triple or quadruple the expected battery life?

Even so I'm surprised to not be able to find the lecture presented in a link.

That said, were I you, I'd be investigating the manufacture of biogas in fairly rudimentary systems, (virtually large septic tanks that need rudimentary welding skills to cut and assemble) then using that to power, on demand methane powered diesel (second hand) generators, (Shove some steel wool in the intake manifold) and connecting them to tubular gel storage batteries, which you can buy direct from china.

This is what one can see as community shared, modest working examples in some of the most impoverished countries. And some good diesel replacing fuel can be pressed from the flesh of the coconut, using a very robust, supersized, reassigned garlic press and lots of leverage.

I understand Singaporean scientists have already made some small lithium iron batteries with the breakthrough titanium oxide diodes. A.B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 23 May 2016 12:59:13 PM
No one answers the question about the cost escalation that occurs when
the solar and wind systems have to store energy for 4, 5, 6 overcast
windless days. Don't say it will never happen !
What does that do to the arithmetic ?

Use nickle iron batteries and get 40 year plus life and an easy rebuild.
Very rugged and almost indestructible batteries that can be shorted
overcharged and abused in all ways and they couldn't care less.
Posted by Bazz, Monday, 23 May 2016 6:57:36 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy