The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The role of Citizens' Juries in decision-making on nuclear waste importation > Comments

The role of Citizens' Juries in decision-making on nuclear waste importation : Comments

By Noel Wauchope, published 13/5/2016

The Citizens' Jury method has considerable advantages. The members have time to discuss freely with each other. They can question witnesses, and have time to scrutinise the information they receive.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
This bloke needs to stick to emptying bed-pans.
This would be hijacked if labour did not install it as such to an anti nuclear group. After millions wasted jury would say no.
I suppose I should thank Noel as I feel so superior after reading his drivel.
Thank you Noel!
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 13 May 2016 3:26:30 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
hi Pete and a little off topic. If I were managing the Labor campaign, I'd issue how to vote cards that in tit for tat behavior, preference the coalition and everybody else ahead of the greens!

And a good strategy where green preferences have already flowed to the coalition?

And teach them a valuable lesson for the foreseeable future only moribund morons, would ever forget!?

About what can happen if they just manipulate and betray trust to maximise the seats they might gain (or lose) at the expense of the any other party other than their own!?

And to be clear, never ever forget about (champions of social justice) policies that attract enough support for them not to need (dirty deals done in the dead of night) socially perverse preferences?

Clearly, they are a party of intellectually challenged dream castle dwellers who've taken up permanent residence; and think all we need is printing presses go flat out to pay for their highly impractical wish list?

Labor need a message that unmistakably communicates, thus far and no farther you manipulating mongrels?

And to be equally clear and return to topic, their hopelessly outdated knowledge has got a use by date if the intention is to continue the moronic anti nuclear economically harmful campaign!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 13 May 2016 5:35:35 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Too true Alan B.

South Australia shouldn't stop with a Waste Dump. A thriving power reactor within Adelaide's city limits will generate untold numbers of jobs. What could go wrong? The odd spill could make life more interesting for the sleepy City of Critters.

Hi JBowyer

That bloke Noel should cease being a traitor to his macho gender. If Noel were a real blke, and sometimes I wonder, he'd fess up and admit that nukes provide a warm glow to the unsuspecting.

Actually Noel may need a bit of surgical tucking and snipping, here and there, to be a Real Man http://www.onlineopinion.com.au/author.asp?id=6099
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 14 May 2016 1:28:51 AM
I don't know why we need to pay somebody to consult on a dumb idea.

"We're thinking about throwing some money away on a really dumb idea, and we can't decide so we thought we'd throw some more money away to see if laypeople can help us with the decision."

If you've got that much money to throw away just be content with Centrelink and forget it.

But seriously, you want to turn OUR COUNTRY in to a nuclear waste dump for the rest of the planet to dump their crap here in?
Have you all lost your minds?
Why don't we get the entire planet to export their feces here as well?
We can store it for them in our homes.

We could've built nuclear reactors ourselves, and had Australian consumers paying a pittance of what we pay now for electricity and given our industries a profitability boost and saved Aussie Jobs (and exported our crap elsewhere), that would've been a much smarter idea than seeing a nuclear waste dump as South Oz's saving grace.

You people are insane considering this, I could say we have the blind leading the blind, but really I need to emphasize more, so its the dumb leading the dumb.

I'm happy to dispose of our own limited waste here.
I'd also be happy to do so if we had our own reactors.
(I believe in personal responsibility)
But I'd also be happy to export it all elsewhere if some other nation is both stupid and desperate enough to let me.
Then I can say "Not my problem, EVER."

Take the reactors not the waste.
This is seriously as dumb as not selling china the resources but selling the whole mine.
As dumb as not selling China the cows, but selling the whole farm and buying back the cows.

Do you really need to throw money away before you can accept an idea being stupid?
On the other hand I suppose we already sold off all the nations assets, lost all the jobs and this is now what its come down to.

Idiots.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Saturday, 14 May 2016 8:56:25 AM
Noel, probably pronounced No-el, is actually a female, according to HER bio.
Posted by ttbn, Saturday, 14 May 2016 11:34:52 AM
"If the SA government cannot decide the issue on the information they have from an expensive enquiry, they are not a government at all. What would a minority, called a 'citizens' jury' know about such things"

Juries are representative of the population. they have one great advantage over judges and politicians, they no hidden agenda like politicians have.

its difficult to lobby, put pressure on, juries so its less likely they are brought off. Sure, they can be threatened and intimidated as can politicians but those doing it to a jury have to come out into the open much more and therefore take a much bigger risk.

Politicians, government, claims they are elected to make decisions but they also claim they govern only with the consent of the governed, no consent - no government.

How then, do they ensure any decision they make in relation to making South Australia a nuke dump, has the support of the governed unless they put to a referendum?

The only other alternative is for the decision to be made by a representative sample, a jury, drawn from the population they are part of, i,e South Australia.

What I find very odd is that some people dont seem to want more democracy and rule of the people, by the people when given an opportunity to support something that is likely to result in more rule of the people, by the people.
Posted by Referundemdrivensocienty, Saturday, 14 May 2016 5:22:21 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy