The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Asylum seekers are victims of selfishness > Comments

Asylum seekers are victims of selfishness : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 6/5/2016

Australia is a sick country, primarily because it has become such a selfish and self-centred country. A sense of entitlement pervades, indeed is encouraged and fostered within the ruling class and politicians.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All
" Surely the right wing ideologues must be swayed by this"
Bruce not only were the right not swayed by this, most of the left have been hardened in their stance by these actions as well.

A Man who has put his wife and family in the position he had then decide that the next step is to set himself alight, is not the type of person we want here.Surely at some point even a bleeding heart such as yourself can see this mans actions were his own.

Bruce I would love to hear your explanation about why the people on Manus island deserve to come to Australia more then the people that are waiting in camps in many parts of the world?
Posted by Cobber the hound, Friday, 6 May 2016 8:27:04 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I read as far as the false claims about UNHCR. UNHCR did not even speak to Omid when they were in Nauru. Shameful that false claims published as fact.
Posted by Munda, Friday, 6 May 2016 8:56:46 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
There are many traps in life, but one of the pitfalls of too much time on ones hands, is to overthink a situation!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 6 May 2016 9:07:14 AM
You are correct in that Australia has a history of accepting people fleeing from poverty and war. However, there are several distinctions.
One is that the majority of these people came from Christian backgrounds and were presumed to be prepared to assimilate into general society without problems. Which they did.
The other difference is that they were given nothing beyond the bare essentials of living for a short period. No assisted housing, no welfare, nothing. They were expected to be self supporting, and they were.
Our ancestors suffered huge sacrifices and deprivations to forge this wonderful country for their descendants.
Perhaps if the current crop of people coming here were to meet those expectations we would be more prepared to accept more of them
Posted by Big Nana, Friday, 6 May 2016 9:51:48 AM
Big Nana,
There were literal squatter camps of migrants in the Rverina in the 1950's, people lived in humpies or sheds wherever the work was and they were at the whim of the department of manpower, the husband might have been sent to work in northern NSW and the wife to Melbourne.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 6 May 2016 10:16:19 AM
I find your risible rant offensive in the extreme Bruce! These folks who routinely destroy their documentation seem to be able to invest the equivalent of a year's salary to pay a criminal organization to smuggle them in rotting hulks from places where they have found comparative refuge!

And seek to impose themselves on Australia and immigration law haters like you Bruce try to help them!

We are a welcoming society and include folks from every nation on earth in our number. Moreover we're assured we have one of the most generous refugee resettlement programs on the planet! And it's never ever going to become one effectively controlled by a Godless criminal people smuggling, people trafficking operation.

And while it is sad, and as things stand, these folk are never ever going to be allowed to settle in Australia!

And the only means at our disposal to stop the people smuggling operation and the consequent drowning at sea.

Even so, I know of other folk who accepted repatriation in the knowledge and belief they could apply, after not less than two years, through legal channels, to migrate here and given good character, worthwhile skills, and official identifying documentation they succeeded.

Think Bruce, always providing you can tolerate the burning smell emanating from previously unused cerebral circuits? Every successful uninvited illegally smuggled arrival prevents another genuine and properly documented refugee from resettling here!

You may think that is fair on folks who have waited far longer in demonstrably far more deplorable conditions for their legitimate turn! Whereas I most certainly don't!
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Friday, 6 May 2016 10:34:58 AM
Old piffle-pants pontificating again.

It is the illegals who are selfish, thinking that they can rock up to Australia expecting all the benefits that local bludgers have without any input or intention to look after themselves. They are criminals, no more in need of asylum than the fairies. They are all burden and no benefit, and they have been told, by both Labor and the Coalition, that they will never be settled here, no matter what bizarre stunts they pull. We have enough rubbish dragging this country down, and we do not want any more; and do not need fifth columnists like Haig rabbiting on. The man is a disgrace to his country.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 6 May 2016 10:47:44 AM
The heart of compassion of a man who would of cheered Rudd when he encouraged 1200 plus drowning. Bruce also shows little compassion to the millions wanting to come here legally and yet are in camps (at least the camps where Muslims have not made it unsafe). Bruce was happy to be on the public purse for decades. No wonder he despises those who at least contributed to their education costs. The hatred that Bruce displays is simply a manifestation of his ideologies shown to be totally warped.
Posted by runner, Friday, 6 May 2016 10:57:26 AM
My beef with the author is that he wants, how many million "Refugees" to come here. Come on Bruce give us a number because it would be millions until we ran out of money.
Also Bruce is the recipient of a commonwealth pension. He is paid an obscene amount of money yearly until he dies. Non public servants are told to use up their own savings starting at five per cent and ending at fourteen per cent a year. Bruce swaggers around on our largese and has the hide to lecture us?
The sooner the Government starts a policy of reducing all their pensions by the same, start at five per cent a year as we suffer, the better. No increases, just decreases until they reach the Centrelink pension level.
Of course it must not include nation builders, down on their luck like Bob Hawke and Paul Keating.
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 6 May 2016 12:36:01 PM
I confess, I am selfish.

Please forgive me for not wanting potential criminals, rapists and welfare for lifers.

I am not saying they all are but considering the small amount that are really checked out and the fact they lie by claiming they are from somewhere other than where they really come from plus a multitude of other lies they have been told to give as answers.
Also the large numbers that are still on welfare after being here over 5 years.

Here is a link to just a small number of the troubles Austria is experiencing.

http://www.gatestoneinstitute.org/7995/migrants-rape-austria

Just also remember that on most boats that arrived here approx 97% were men.

Signed
Selfish but safe.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 6 May 2016 1:24:26 PM
Oh come on Brucey.

We can all be rich and pretty - like the Greens' Sarah Hanson-Young
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sarah_Hanson-Young

Here's her pretty ditty. Let her rip Doris: https://youtu.be/xZbKHDPPrrc

SARAH'S SONG

When I was just a little girl
I asked my mother what will I be
Will I be pretty will I be rich
Here's what she said to me

Que Sarah Sarah
People Smugglers
Ship with glee
Fee paying cue jumpers
For you and me
Que Sarah Sarah

When I grew up and fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will I have a $200,000+ Senator's Salary
Power and Position
Here's what my sweetheart said to me

Que Sarah Sarah
People Smugglers
Ship with glee
Fee paying cue jumpers
For you and me
Que Sarah Sarah

Now I have children of my own
They ask their mother what will I be
Will I be Green's Leader
will I be richer
I tell them tenderly

Que Sarah Sarah
People Smugglers
Ship with glee
Fee paying cue jumpers
For you and me
Que Sarah Sarah
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 6 May 2016 2:10:28 PM
Bruce, you have already proven beyond doubt that you are an addle-brained, anti-Australian leftie, so you can have a rest, or even write something sensible, like a critique of Pilger’s lies.
That is a big topic, and would occupy, at least, your next 20 years, during which you could desist in your production of rubbish, like this article.
Posted by Leo Lane, Friday, 6 May 2016 3:14:27 PM
If you think that the piffling amount of refugees that are of concern to the neocons in this country is the peak of the problem you are in for a big disappointment.
There will be many millions who will be following on and our "border farce" will be unable to stem the flow.
The laugh is that if we, through our worthy Prime minister Howard, had not tagged onto the US coat tails and invaded two sovereign countries on the weakest of pretexts, this would not be happening here.
Get used to it because it is not going to go away any time soon.
As climate change bites harder there will be an increase in refugees from countries that are unable to cope with sea level rise, and extreme weather events.
Good luck
Posted by Robert LePage, Friday, 6 May 2016 3:15:41 PM
The Greens want to bring in 50,000 Muslim refugees a year, statistically 85% of those people will never be able to support themselves with the picture just as bleak even 3 generations down the track.
So that's roughly the population of Shepparton or Bathurst added to the social security roll, for life every 12 months with all the complex and expensive infrastructure, policing and social service needs of high dependancy communities.
Let's just call a spade a spade, the agenda is limitless development and service contracting to high dependancy communities, the motive is financial profit, compassion and a "fair go" don't enter into it.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 6 May 2016 3:21:46 PM
Anyone for some multicultural integration just watch the attack on video of one of at least 6 victims in Adelaide by low life African 20 yo youth.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/a/31532598/man-arrested-after-six-hurt-woman-hospitalised-after-mans-king-hit-rampage/

Perfect candidate for deporting.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 6 May 2016 3:58:24 PM
The people at Manus and Naru made as their first contact with this
country a criminal act. They entered the country after destroying their passports.

We know they had them because they could not have flown to Malaysia or Indonesia without passports.
There is a big problem coming over the horizon.
Egypt with its own resources can only support about 40 million people.
Its population is about 85 million. Egypt is being supported by
charity mostly by Gulf countries but that is drying up and will at
some time stop. Where will 40 million Egyptians go ?
Most I think will walk or go by sea to Europe or Russia.
If they are stopped there and they get the message that Australia is
a soft touch smugglers will easily be able to finance old ships to
bring several thousand per ship here.
Their port of entry would probably be Fremantle or Darwin.
It is an obvious business plan for the smugglers.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 6 May 2016 4:23:09 PM
The thing that worries me is that this ratbag was employed in our diplomatic service, when obviously his sympathies are with almost anyone but Australian citizens.

How many responsible for the conduct of our diplomatic relations with these other nations are of a similar mind frame. It appears that we need to take a serious look at just who we are hiring in our diplomatic service. We need to be sure they are Australian patriots, not apologists for every worthless bunch in the world, with more interest in their well being than ours.
Posted by Hasbeen, Friday, 6 May 2016 5:12:15 PM
Bazz - Putin unlike the fool Angla Mercle is not stupid they will not be allowed to go to Russia, he will use the military to stop them and the people will support him as they have seen the EU debacle with the so called refugees.
Posted by Philip S, Friday, 6 May 2016 5:12:44 PM
Philip S, "Anyone for some multicultural integration just watch the attack on video of one of at least 6 victims in Adelaide by low life African 20 yo youth"

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/31532598/man-arrested-after-six-hurt-woman-hospitalised-after-mans-king-hit-rampage/

There are many examples available daily, see here,
http://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2016/may/05/neil-prakash-most-senior-australian-fighting-with-isis-killed-in-iraq-airstrike

However the leftist 'Progressives' of Labor and Greens continually shrug off any responsibility for the negative consequences of their activism and policies. Fortunately they have that informal editorial policy of 'Progressivism' of the ABC on their side :(
Posted by onthebeach, Friday, 6 May 2016 6:38:26 PM
No, it's not just selfishness.

If it were merely selfishness, we'd exploit them for our own benefit. Instead we're spending billions to keep them away and gaining nothing.

The truth is far worse:
Asylum seekers are victims of systematic vilification.
Australians are almost constantly assuming the worst, as the comments in this thread demonstrate.
Policy is based on assuming the worst, because politicians discovered that condemning refugees was electorally popular. So instead of screening the undesirables out we're treating everyone as undesirables. Instead of helping refugees get work, we assume they'll always be a burden on the taxpayers. We're preventing them from coming here safely, condemning them for trying to get here in unsafe boats, and persecuting them in the name of "saving lives at sea".

We should adopt a selfish policy; it would be an enormous improvement.
Posted by Aidan, Friday, 6 May 2016 6:56:02 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Bruce, to quote a touch of your essay; "the ruling class and politicians.", "sycophantic lackeys," "gutlessly self serving", "create a ruling elite", "the suffering middle class?", "The black force of Border Protection", " to "'save' our supremacy" and on and on you go. What an embarrassing, potty mouthed, name calling bully you do appear to be. Have you any conceivable idea how much damage you do the 'cause' you wish to progress with these rants?. As a rational, average Australian citizen, what an excruciating embarrassment you are.
Posted by Prompete, Friday, 6 May 2016 7:24:04 PM
Bruce Haig: Asylum seekers are victims of selfishness.

One word. Crap.

Asylum Seekers, the ones who come in an illegally manner (boats), are the ones who are selfish & I for one am glad they will never be settled in Australia.
Posted by Jayb, Friday, 6 May 2016 8:20:12 PM
Yes Philip S, I think you are right. The southern area like Cheznia
might be a different matter as those areas are moslem.

The problem in Egypt is very serious due to their declining oil income.
It was the declining food & fuel subsidies that over threw Mubarik.

Things are getting tough when even Saudi Arabia is getting worried.
The Bin Ladin Construction Corp in Saudi Arabia has sacked between
50,000 and 70,000 employees in the last couple of weeks.

It appears that the war with Yemen is burning cash very fast.
Posted by Bazz, Friday, 6 May 2016 11:09:37 PM
Screening the undesirables out is not helped by (we know best) egos (that can't fit in the same room as their owners) that routinely miss the bad apples in the barrel and as history informs, invites them in, to in some cases, run a people smuggling operation from here! Why in heavens name would someone other than an undesirable career criminal chose to destroy their bona fide identifying documentation?

You know the passports and visas that allowed them to travel to Malaysia or Indonesia, where in fact for most Muslims, there's comparative safety, always providing you don't flout their laws.

If only to be completely fair and even handed these folk must go back up the transport chain then wait their turn in line with other refugees. Many of who have waited far longer and in vastly more deplorable conditions!

There are some 60 million of those rotting their lives away in generational refugee camps! Some of who hit the (where is Islam?) news after being bombed to blazes (murdered) by the Syrian military!?

Even so, for the bleeding hearts like Bruce; if they haven't arrived in our waters as undocumented irregulars, they don't get a farthing's worth of their hysteria laden compassion!

Without question we could find hundreds of thousands, not given to using moral blackmail to achieve an "enforced" outcome, far more deserving of our charity!

And it bets the hell out of me why we haven't deployed covertly deployed space age lie detection technology to enable us to select (in a full an overflowing quota) potential future citizens, who will be able to be properly assimilated.

We already have enough (no go) ghettos that have in some cases degenerated into little more than training camps for anti Australian terrorist training camps!?
Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Saturday, 7 May 2016 9:58:26 AM
Aidan
Refugees are systematically misrepresented to the public by the media. politicians and particularly by the churches.
According to the government statistics 94% of the people who arrived by boat in roughly the 2010-13 time frame were young men on the run from the law in their home countries.
Ask yourself why 99.9% of, for example Sri Lankans quite happily live under the laws of the land and have little contact with the authorities yet this tiny group of men arrive on our shores illegally with stories of torture and summary arrest and detention?
Australians go to Sri Lanka for holidays, expats shuttle back and forth as they like,it has a thriving economy for a third world country and has been stable for many years now.
Clearly "boat people" are on the run from just punishment or inquiry into their affairs at home so they should be treated as criminals and locked up until they can be returned to their home country to face whatever consequences arise from their past actions.
Australia goes to great lengths to extradite our own criminals when they're overseas on the run, these Sri Lankans, Afghans, Iranians and such should be extradited back to their own countries to face the authorities and receive their punishment.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 7 May 2016 10:01:27 AM
The only thing asylum seekers are victims of this the international planners and controllers who want to even out the gap between 3rd world countries and 1st world countries by moving people from the 3rd world countries into the first world countries as is what is happening in Europe.

Why does the media give these people the title of asylum seekers anyway? Do Australians really believe that every single one of these people face an imminent and serious risk of torture and death if they set foot back in their own country?

IMO most of these people are demanding citizenship and not requesting asylum anyway. Asylum implies temporary refuge not a free passage to permanently live in a much better country.

Funny, that all they ever seem to have to prove is their identify not that that they are under any imminent risk of torture and death back home.
Posted by Referundemdrivensocienty, Saturday, 7 May 2016 12:33:36 PM
If anyone is stupid enough to think Labor learnt a lesson from losing the election after letting in over 50,000 refugees think again as this following story indicates.

If they arrive Labor will let them in.

http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/asylum-seekers-flown-back-to-sri-lanka-from-cocos-islands-20160506-gonsvx.html

Labor wants answers after asylum seekers flown back to Sri Lanka from Cocos Islands

Labor has called on the government to assure the Australian people it has not returned refugees to harm, after officials bundled a group of asylum seekers on to a chartered flight to Sri Lanka.

The asylum seekers, whose wooden boat made it to within 500 metres of the Cocos Islands on Monday, were flown to Colombo in a highly-secretive operation under the cover of darkness on Thursday night.

The government has refused to comment on the forced returns, with a spokeswoman saying only: "we do not comment on operational matters".

Labor's immigration spokesman Richard Marles said this was not good enough.

"The Government needs to provide an assurance it has not returned anyone to harm," Mr Marles said.

"Australia has international obligations that this Government simply can't ignore. It is not good enough to try and dismiss this as an operational matter."

To me this is evidence Labor will not stop them under the current leadership.
Posted by Philip S, Saturday, 7 May 2016 1:10:04 PM
Do Australians really believe that every single one of these people face an imminent and serious risk of torture and death if they set foot back in their own country?

Of course not Referundemdrivensocienty, most of us realise that once they have their publicly funded homes all nicely furnished, they will be off back home to pick up a cousin or 3 to marry.

Well that's the ones who have not pulled some rort so they can draw Oz welfare while living back home.
Posted by Hasbeen, Saturday, 7 May 2016 1:10:34 PM
'Why does the media give these people the title of asylum seekers anyway?'

think about it Referundemdrivensocienty

when you have courts who have let a man like Monis who had multiple sexual assault charges against him, threatening/sick letters to widows who had lost soldiers running free then you get into the minds of the lefties. They are masters at twisting definitions often so free speach can be silenced. On top of that in their own perverted minds they are the compassionate ones. Look at the rot Bruce writes. He knows his policies (if you can call them that) would lead to open slather again and I doubt he would be prepared to give any of his tax payer funded pension up to support such gross negligence. No wonder the abc luv to sprout his views.
Posted by runner, Saturday, 7 May 2016 1:11:45 PM
Haigh and Pilger,
And fools like them are responsible for the terrorist guerilla,type war attacks we now have on Western and European home soil.

They still persist in blaming everyone else, who Actually had the intelligence to see the dangers inherent in multiculturalism. Even as western civilisation faces the biggest threat to its cohesion and security from within because of the foolish, hippy, communist love and peace idealism these idiots are brainwashed with.

I say to Pilger and Haigh you are clueless whilst still believing you are above others
In what you think you know. You do not see it for what it is ,idealism, not fact.
Posted by CHERFUL, Sunday, 8 May 2016 1:49:32 AM
Economic invaders in Europe, we have our fair share of them.

More than 7,000 migrants claiming benefits in EU just so they can go home
AROUND 7,300 migrants are claiming special benefits in Europe so they can return to the countries they initially came from.

The migrants, many of who returned to countries such as Turkey and Morocco, receive a monthly fee from the Dutch state for settling in their former nation.

The number of migrants claiming the repatriation benefit has soared in recent years, with the Dutch government spending £26 million on so-called re-migration last year compared to £17 million five years ago.

The pay out, which has also been claimed by residents of the US and Britain, is available for migrants who have worked for at least eight years and want to return to their home countries.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/world/668167/More-than-7-000-migrants-claiming-benefits-in-EU-just-so-they-can-go-home

Now who are the selfish one's.
Posted by Philip S, Sunday, 8 May 2016 10:38:42 AM
Referundemdrivensocienty,
"Why does the media give these people the title of asylum seekers anyway?"
Because asylum is what they are seeking. Even those whose claims are not valid are still claiming it.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Jay,
Sri Lanka has been stable for a few years, not many. Their civil war only ended in 2009. Immediately afterwards there were human rights abuses and persecution of Tamils in some areas (and no, I don't mean former insurgents). I understand this has ceased since the last election, so I would not expect the claims of the latest lot to be valid. But EVERYONE should be entitled to due process.

There are many countries where it's safe for tourists (at least in part of the country) but the locals are not safe.

Unfortunately not everywhere does have the rule of law. And there's also the problem of unjust laws that contravene human rights (for example some Muslim countries make it illegal for their citizens to change religion). So much as I'd like to see the end of the need for people to seek asylum, I don't think it's realistic (let alone likely) that we will.
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 8 May 2016 2:16:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Isn't that interesting Philip S.
I wonder how many in the offshore centres would grab a similar scheme ?
It may well be a lot cheaper than keeping them in custody.
Posted by Bazz, Sunday, 8 May 2016 2:18:35 PM
Referundemdrivensocienty, "Why does the media give these people the title of asylum seekers anyway?"

Fair question. Wasn't it refugee advocate Julian Burnside who insisted on the politically correct 'asylum seeker' and the complaint media followed, led by the always very multiculturally-sensitive ABC?

In other countries they are properly called illegal immigrants. It is up to them to prove otherwise, but destroying papers after successfully entering a safe country prior and with papers, eg, Indonesia, would make their intentions suspect, surely. Or 'fleeing' from a country where 99.9% of the population feel safe.

Strange how so many find no problem travelling back to their country of origin for R&R and to visit rellies and mates. Things must have changed overnight?

Australia had a booming industry of professionals especially lawyers, NGOs and public bureaucrats earning their daily bread from 'refugees' and when that term was found to be absolute cr@p, 'asylum seekers'. It was costing the taxpayer $billions and constantly growing. You can't expect so many fleas on fleas to give up their lucrative businesses and lifestyle overnight.

Thank goodness Tony Abbott had the solution and guts to carry it out to put the people smugglers out of their disgusting business.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 8 May 2016 5:51:21 PM
Should be, "Wasn't it refugee advocate Julian Burnside who insisted on the politically correct 'asylum seeker' and the COMPLIANT media followed, led by the always very multiculturally-sensitive ABC?"

'Complaint' media is also correct. LOL
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 8 May 2016 6:12:53 PM
Aidan

You take the side of the Tamil Tigers agains the Sri Lankian government.

But the Tamils waged a 20year guerilla warfare against Sri Lanka and its people
trying to carve the country of Sri Lanka into two separate countries, one of which would be run by them.

Not much different from the aim of most f the worlds terrorists.

The fact that the Tamils immigrated to Sri Lanka and then tried to carve the country up
Is hardly a good reason for Australia to allow them into our country.

In the words of Abbot, No!No and No. What is it about the word No! That people don't
Understand.
Posted by CHERFUL, Sunday, 8 May 2016 7:21:17 PM
CHERFUL —

"You take the side of the Tamil Tigers agains the Sri Lankian government."
Is that outrageous slur a result of prejudice against me? Or are you just too stupid to comprehend what I've written?

FWIW I have never ever supported the LTTE. I supported the Sri Lankan government's right to crush them, just as I support every country's right to crush all terrorists within their borders.

I was referring to the government's treatment of civilians after the LTTE was defeated. I made it clear I was not referring to former combatants.
Posted by Aidan, Sunday, 8 May 2016 8:03:04 PM
cheerful: The fact that the Tamils immigrated to Sri Lanka and then tried to carve the country up is hardly a good reason for Australia to allow them into our country.

I see the same problem happening in Australia with the moslim population eventually. It's happening in Europe now. That's why we should not allow moslims to immigrate into Australia.
Posted by Jayb, Sunday, 8 May 2016 8:20:38 PM
Aidan,
Alleged treatment of Tamil civilians, the testimony of people who have a strong motive for lying can be taken with a grain of salt, weeding out and shooting enemies after a ceasefire is also perfectly reasonable behaviour on the part of the Sri Lankan secret service.
Tamils have a whole state in India which welcomes them with open arms, there's no reason for them to even be in Sri Lanka much less be given control of 1/3 of the country.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 8 May 2016 9:22:00 PM
No doubt Bruce Haigh is right.

The asylum seeker issue has really shown up some ignored, unhealthy and infantile traits as to the mentality of many Australians.

Scared little children, hiding in the dark, in case the coffee skinned bunyip comes after them and it is pathetic.
Posted by paul walter, Monday, 9 May 2016 1:53:15 AM
Jay,
A lot of evidence of human rights abuses in Sri Lanka is from those without a vested interest, and it's quite disingenuous to pretend it didn't exist. But even if you do take claims with a pinch of salt, that doesn't justify failing to investigate them.

Far from being reasonable behaviour, weeding out and shooting enemies after a ceasefire comes into effect contravenes the Geneva Convention. Judicial execution is permitted but summary execution is not.

"Tamils have a whole state in India which welcomes them with open arms,"
No it doesn't. Sri Lankan Tamils have no more legal right to settle there than they do here.

"there's no reason for them to even be in Sri Lanka"
It's the country of their birth and the land their families have been in for generations, so of course they have a right to be there!

"much less be given control of 1/3 of the country."
I didn't say they should.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 9 May 2016 3:17:03 AM
Yoo hoo, Bruce Haigh.

If you want to turn people away from your pet causes, just keep wagging your finger at them, and tell them that they are all disgusting because they do not agree with you.

I think that this is the primary reason why you lefties are on the nose with the public. Lefties presume to be the new religious leaders who think they they are the keepers of all that is good and holy. Real intellectuals in the past always laughed at moral puritans, and it is insightful that todays pretenders to intellectual activism have become moral puritans themselves.

Memo to Bruce.

There are 7.2 billion people on planet Earth and for the last fifty years this exponentially increasing population growth has occurred in third world and fourth world countries who just refuse to get their population growth under control. Give them just half a chance and a couple of billion of them will be heading for Indonesia and booking passage with people smugglers to come to Australia.

You only have to look at what is happening to Europe right now because of the stupidities of people like yourself. Telling us that Australia should emulate Brussels, Rotherham and Cologne and make our societies unliveable, just so that you can preen your moral delusions of moral superiority, is not going to cut it.

The funiest thing about third world immigration comes from America. There are people like yourself supposedly disgusted at Donald Trump's declaration that if elected President, he will build a wall between the USA and Mexico. These people are all claiming that if Trump is elected, they will all immigrate to Canada. The question begs, why don't they all immigrate to Mexico?

The answer is, of course, that however much they strut and preen themselves with their moral superiority, and claim that preventing South American illegal immigration is racist, they all still want to live in a white society where they feel safe
Posted by LEGO, Monday, 9 May 2016 3:59:25 AM
Aidan, it seem to be lost on you that the Tamils originated in southern India and where there is a thriving population today.

Moreover the distance between India and Shri Lanka is comparative to that of Tasmania in relation to the Australian mainland!

Genuine Tamil asylum seekers need only travel (Tamils in a tinnie) that far to find asylum and a community and culture that's made to measure for them! So why here? And why minus identifying documentation?

For each one of these potential war criminals that successfully impose themselves on our generosity another properly documented bona fide is denied access! You might think that's a fair go? I most certainly don't!

Moreover, I do not admire your use of the privilege of OLO by descending to abusive retaliation on another poster, who just simply disagrees with you. If you were halfway decent you would stop and take stock; and simply apologize forthwith for your patently unwarranted abuse of your privilege and a previous poster.

Better the world should think you a fool than open your mouth and remove all doubt? And an example for you to study,if only to understand you can still vent your spleen and have the object of your displease laughing or smiling at the intended insult!
Without bias, Alan B.
Posted by Alan B., Monday, 9 May 2016 8:16:07 AM
Alan B, it seems to be lost on you that not everyone is welcome in their ancestral home.

It is them, not I, who should be asked "why here? And why minus identifying documentation?".

Obviously ASIO should screen asylum seekers to keep the war criminals out.

I do not support the policy of denying other refugees access just because others arrived by boat.

And I demand an apology for your unfounded accusation that I descended to abusive retaliation on another poster who just simply disagrees with me! My "abusive retaliation" was a pretty tame response to someone who had made a libellous allegation against me.
Posted by Aidan, Monday, 9 May 2016 2:20:16 PM
Quote "Obviously ASIO should screen asylum seekers to keep the war criminals out."

Over 50,000 let in by Dudd and Dillard, more than likely most without documents and giving false information, good luck try really vet them.
Only a very small number were checked, remember 1 was Cap't Emad they said he was okay turned out to be one of the principal smugglers.
Posted by Philip S, Monday, 9 May 2016 9:16:29 PM
Aidan

Libellous is a bit strong isnt it.

I see no dfference between the Tamil Tigers and the Tamil bloodline.
as you do. Your view is,now the war is over we should treat Tamil Tigers as
innocent victims of retribution.

What I see is this tribe of people the Tamils,who immigrated to Sri Lanka and then
200years or so later tried to carve a piece of Sri Lanka off for themselves.
I disagree with your idea that now the war is over that we should take in Tamil tigers
given the history of their last migration and how that turned out.

I am debating who is selfish, the people who try to force their way in claiming assylum
or those who reject their claims.

Going on all the civil wars, and demands for sepratist states across history, is it selfish to try to protect ones own country and children from the horror of these tribal, ethic wars.
Posted by CHERFUL, Tuesday, 10 May 2016 8:40:28 PM
CHERFUL,

Libellous is entirely accurate. You falsely accused me of supporting terrorists.

Worse still, you fail to make a distinction between terrorists and people who merely share their ethnicity and nationality. People like you are the problem.

I won't say any more, as I don't want Godwin's Law to be invoked.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 11 May 2016 2:55:43 AM
Bruce – you state “Australia is a sick country, primarily because it has become such a selfish and self-centred country.

Have you bothered to read last Senate Estimates Committee report as to how much of taxpayer’s monies are spent in providing assistance, assimilation, welfare, housing, medical, etc into our communities for refugees?

So, I now ask you to explain to Australian taxpayers (we selfish, self-centred people) – having been given all of the above assistance, benefits and support mechanisms to settle/ “make a new life” in of terrorism on said host country – Australia?

Oh – that’s right – Australia is the sick, selfish and self-centred country?

You say – “The utterly shameful decision not to allow the people on Manus to come to Australia following the PNG Supreme Court decision can only be described as gutlessly self-serving”

Those on Manus Island are economic, illegal boat people, who paid people smugglers (criminals) to get here. We know they have dumped identification docs on the way, we know there are some criminals amongst group who don’t wish to return home and face (sic) charges, we know that advocates advise them to stay on Manus and Nauru as the government may cave in, we know that leading up to the election there will be further events of unrest on Manus and Nauru in an attempt to challenge government’s current standing of – no settlement in Australia. (All available for public reading).

Yes Bruce, the public are finally waking up to all the antics, and I applaud our Government’s continued tuff stand on border protection policies.

You say – “At what point did we embark on becoming the most selfish country on earth”.

I ask you – why has Australia (a peaceful country) become a country now exposed to acts of terrorism from those within? A country that has welcomed migration of cultures from many countries around the world and over many generations. Our multicultural society lived in peace and harmony no matter what religion, race or colour of cultures in the past.
cont'd
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 18 May 2016 11:27:53 PM
cont'd
So, what has changed? Do you have a response? We know the answer! Australia is the “least” selfish country on earth.

You say – “They (the government) feel charged with the responsibility for protecting privilege from the incursions of coloured “outsiders”.
Really Bruce – coloured outsiders? - that’s an extremely racist statement.

Have you asked our wonderful pakistans, Indians, Sri-Lankans, Islanders, Fijians, plus other cultures if they feel like “outsiders”?

Have you ever actually attended a cricket match Aust v Pakistan, v India, v Sri-Lanka, v New Zealand, or any other sporting event (I can name heaps) and see the level of enthusiasm other cultures have for their home (birth) country – albeit now citizens of Australia - the level of cheering, singing, chanting, bells, whistles , horns etc sitting beside, amongst, in the middle of us, those (sick, selfish, self-centred) Aussies who sing and chant along with the rest, with both sides having a fun day out. What’s wrong with the above picture?

Or maybe Bruce the above picture of fun and friendship extended by Aussies to all cultures, colours, race and creeds in sport, life, community, work, times of fire or flood or tragedy, etc doesn’t fit in with your “grand agenda” of nonsense?

You say – “Australia is running a gulag, a concentration camp".

Bruce – Really, that statement is outrageous and disrespectful.
cont'd
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 18 May 2016 11:39:04 PM
Cont'd
Daily Telegraph 18 May –“ Two asylum seekers who went on a violent booze and drug-fuelled rampage on Manus Island yesterday were badly bashed by angry locals after they tried to steal a TV.

(Bruce – so you expect Australians to accept persons who engage in criminal activity?)

Provincial police commander Acting Superintendent David Yapu has ordered a crackdown on crimes by “Foreigners” after an investigation by the Daily Telegraph revealed an illicit black market trade in Australian taxpayer-funded cigarettes, drug and alcohol abuse and sex with local girls.

(Bruce – so you expect Australians to accept persons who engage in criminal activity?)

“We cannot entertain that kind of behaviour,” Acting Supt Yapu said.
“It is unacceptable and unethical and these foreigners must respect the laws of this country. We will lock them up and throw away the key”.

(Bruce – those who run illicit black market trades, in cigarettes, drugs and alcohol and engage in any other criminal activity obviously don’t respect the laws of PNG, do you really expect them to respect the laws of Australia? – don’t think so)

Almost 900 asylum seekers at the Australian-Funded centre on the PNG Island have been allowed to visit town, go fishing and take beach outings under relaxed security restrictions at the site.” (End )

Must be a tuff life at Manus Mansion – all that fishing, beach outings, visiting town, run illicit black market trades in cigarettes, drugs and alcohol, etc etc etc Yawn, yeah Burp! – life is certainly tuff. Burp!
Posted by SAINTS, Wednesday, 18 May 2016 11:41:55 PM
Paul Walter

You say -“No doubt Bruce Haigh is right. The asylum seeker issue has really shown up some ignored, unhealthy and infantile traits as to the mentality of many Australians. Scared little children, hiding in the dark, in case the coffee skinned bunyip comes after them and it is pathetic”.

Wrong Paul – how about considering another point of view.

The economic “illegal boat people” are criminals. Paid criminals (people smugglers) to get to Australia. These people were in a safe country, they chose to “queue jump” by paying criminals to board a boat.

Do people smugglers (criminals) care that 1,200 souls – that we know of – drowned at sea, no. They got their money, safety of life means nothing to them.

The Government and relative agencies determine who migrates to Australia – not criminal people smugglers and their clients.

Australians have always welcomed multicultural migration, no matter colour, creed, religion or race. Most respect and obey Australia’s laws and lifestyle, and have for many generations lived in peace.

In your post you didn’t mention those that are now in Australia who chose to commit acts of terrorism on Australians – a host country – who provided them shelter and safety from war!

We aren’t the ignorant ones with unhealthy and infantile traits, you might like to point the proverbial finger elsewhere.

Why has the Government allocated a further $40M to Islamac Health Agencies in order for youth – and yes, they are our youth as they live in Australia – to become de-radicalised?

The youngest to become radicalised being 14 – in NSW! I can assure you when most normal people are 14 their brains aren’t working out how to blow up or kill people.

Fact – Islamist radicals have come in with the large refugee intake.

Wake up Paul, Australians aren’t “scared little children, hiding in the dark, in case the coffee skinned bunyip comes after them”.

Although we might, if said “child” was 14 years old and pointing a gun yelling fanatical rantings to all and sundry in his sight!
Posted by SAINTS, Thursday, 19 May 2016 12:52:33 AM
cheerful: What I see is this tribe of people the Tamils,who immigrated to Sri Lanka and then 200years or so later tried to carve a piece of Sri Lanka off for themselves.

The same thing will happen in Australia with the influx of moslims except they will want the whole Country & non-moslims will be considered outsiders.

Bruce: “Australia is running a gulag, a concentration camp".

Try comparing the standard of the UNCHR Camps to Australia's Camps. A world of difference. Australia's Camps are the top end of luxury for these people, but apparently they're not good enough for them.

SAINT: Why has the Government allocated a further $40M to Islamac Health Agencies in order for youth – and yes, they are our youth as they live in Australia – to become de-radicalised?

$40 Million wasted because their Koran come before everything else & what the koran says they do. For $40 Million they can be taught to lay low until the right time but they can never be de-radicalized.
Posted by Jayb, Thursday, 19 May 2016 11:18:45 AM
Aidn <Worse still, you fail to make a distinction between terrorists and people who merely share their ethnicity and nationality. People like you are the problem.>

And if the Tamil Tigers had succeeded in taking a piece of Sri Lanka to govern
would the Tamils who werent Tamil tigers, have told them to give the country back
or would they have flocked there in massive numbers declaring it to now be there own country.

Thats why there is no difference between the Tamil Tigers and The Tamil bloodline.
Niether would give back ant terriroty they took.
The human race is tribally(bloodline), terrortorial. And that is the problem, the reason we dont have world peace,not people like me who point this out.
Racism is not some strange unreasonable dislike, it is terrortorial hostility.

Watch any species on the planet turn threatening and intimidating when another animal
comes onto its terrortory. Then realise this threatening hostility is what humans call racism, like it is some unfathomable intolerance.
In biology the reason for it is very clear.
And all the terrortorial wars across history are also very clear. The prize is always control of the land and resources.
of the land and resources. That is the problem, not people like me, who try to make the world understand this.
Posted by CHERFUL, Thursday, 19 May 2016 10:38:45 PM
Yes Jayb the moslems will demand the country and if you do not submit
to Islam you will be expelled or killed as required by the Koran.
You may be allowed to stay if you pay the Jizas tax to the mosque.

For an example see the middle east, look how they have driven the
Christians and others out of their homes and countries.
It is no secret, they are obeying their prophet.

We have concrete modern examples of this behaviour and still the
bleeding hearts want to kowtow to Islam. It has been going on for 1400
years and still they can't see it!
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 19 May 2016 11:33:52 PM
Jayb

"$40 Million wasted because their Koran come before everything else & what the koran says they do. For $40 Million they can be taught to lay low until the right time but they can never be de-radicalized".

Sadly you are correct. Recent 16 year old (NSW) charged with "alleged" terrorist activities has been under a de-radicalization programme for twelve months. So they have known about this person since at least 15!

I guess in "school speak" that programme would be a big F = FAIL for this "pupil".
Posted by SAINTS, Thursday, 19 May 2016 11:36:08 PM
BAZZ
"We have concrete modern examples of this behaviour and still the
bleeding hearts want to kowtow to Islam. It has been going on for 1400
years and still they can't see it!"

Correct Bazz. Post World War 2 those who migrated to Australia coming from various backgrounds, colours, cultures, creeds, races and religions, assimilated, raised families, adopted our western culture, lived in peace, lived within the laws of our land and contributed to the wealth of the Australia we have today.

We now have a different "culture" coming to Australia who don't like our Western culture/lifestyle. Won't accept our laws, don't wish to assimilate.

My question being - why do Governments (both Labor and Liberal) continue to permit entry of persons to Australia who don't wish to assimilate with our multicultural society nor accept the laws of the land and legal system we all live under?
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 20 May 2016 12:21:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. ...
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy