The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Thoughts on the commemoration of Anzac Day > Comments

Thoughts on the commemoration of Anzac Day : Comments

By Peter Wigg, published 20/4/2016

I wish to question the current relevance of the commemoration, not wanting it to be an empty spectacle, or a celebration of war itself.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All
Meanwhile back in Afghanistan, Iraq and Syria nothing changes in these wars, only difference on whose funding them:

- Sunni Arab oil money?
- Shiite Iranian oil money?
- good clean Western taxpayer money?
- Putin comradely money?

We remember them.

https://youtu.be/dObTXYa-_n4?list=PLZbXA4lyCtqpjJ4zQDLv9GwGxUsiCYX1Q
Posted by plantagenet, Monday, 25 April 2016 2:42:04 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can highly recommend the DVD - 'The Water Diviner,"
starring Russell Crowe for anyone who hasn't seen it.
Great film - worth watching. Food for thought!
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 25 April 2016 3:58:01 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Foxy,

With my increasing deafness I avoid movies without subtitles. I would love to see English-language movies with subtitles.
Posted by david f, Monday, 25 April 2016 4:00:54 PM
On Anzac day I remind my kids that they, or their children or grandchildren, may be called upon to defend us, and that we must respect our grandfathers and great-grandfathers who did. That's what the day is all about.

They've now grown old enough to form their own opinions. Today I got into trouble, being told the next war will be nuclear, and there's no war on the horizon, and that I'm an idiot.

While there may be some truth in that last opinion, what say others on the first two?
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 25 April 2016 4:12:55 PM
Dear Luciferase,

I think it's fine to defend Australia and all Australians able to do so should do so. However, Gallipoli, the Anglo-Egyptian-Sudan, the Boer War, the Vietnamese War and other actions Australian forces have been involved in have had nothing at all to do with defending Australia. They mainly have been pulling British and American chestnuts from the fire. Your ancestors have suffered and died serving in the Australian armed forces. However, in most cases they were not defending Australia. I hope your descendants will rally to defend Australia but will refuse to participate in war for other reasons.
Posted by david f, Monday, 25 April 2016 4:36:42 PM
I hear that, david f.

Where would you place, say, China's annexation and militarization of the international waters of the South China Sea in this scheme, which will affect Australian shipping and serve as a springboard for further expansion south?

Also, should Australia arm itself with nuclear weapons, given the might we may need to oppose at some future point?

All hypothetical, of course :)
Posted by Luciferase, Monday, 25 April 2016 7:34:14 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy