The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Freeing Julian Assange: the last chapter > Comments

Freeing Julian Assange: the last chapter : Comments

By John Pilger, published 5/2/2016

The United Nations Working Group on Arbitrary Detention has ruled that Julian Assange has been detained unlawfully by Britain and Sweden.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi Paul,

I'm puzzled .... who was detaining him in the Ecuadorian Embassy ? The Ecuadorians ? Was he in some sort of voluntary detainment ? Perhaps the Pommy bastards wouldn't let him out ?

It sounds like one of those situations in which - "with one bound he was free !"

All he had to do, not to be in detainment/detention, was to step outside. It's all up to him - stay and voluntarily detain himself, or step outside and no longer be voluntarily detained.

And as you suggest, " .... everyone deserves to be immune from trumped up charges whatever the allegation .... " After all, charges of sexual assault are pretty minor, aren't they ?

So in front of Judge Paul Walter, he would be immediately freed ? But in front of any other judge, he might have to actually answer the charges ?

Trumped up ? Yes, probably, if you believe that all Swedish girls are sluts and liars. But perhaps that's for a court to decide, not for Judge Paul Walter alone, with the greatest respect possible. Preferably one in Sweden, where the offences are alleged to have occurred, and where he can face his accusers.

I'd like to see that.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 5 February 2016 1:47:11 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
John Pilger is a good man and speaks up for this guy locked up in the English embassy. All this guy did was tell people of the lies and other things about the Americans which they don't want other people to know about. So that's why Julian Assange is good and should be left alone to leave England if he wants to do so. My friend a lady knows him very very good and she said because he is queer and the US want him because of some thing he won't say anything about, but Julian Assange is very good man, my friend the lady says so but won't tell me what he did to Americans?
Posted by misanthrope, Friday, 5 February 2016 2:03:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Rhrosty,

I heard his Mum on radio this morning complaining that he had been deprived of sunlight. I did not realise how serious this human rights abuse is. My heart bleeds.
Posted by Chris C, Friday, 5 February 2016 2:21:03 PM
Assange's current crime is failure to turn up for court because he lost his case against being deported to Sweden.
Sweden send him to the US, please, the UK would turn him over but not Sweden.
Mind you I remember Johnie Pilger always telling the Brits how good mother Russia and commie China was but retired back to Aus, why?
Posted by JBowyer, Friday, 5 February 2016 3:02:15 PM
This said it all: 'The Assange case is rooted across the Atlantic in Pentagon-dominated Washington, obsessed with pursuing and prosecuting whistleblowers, especially Assange for having exposed, in WikiLeaks, US capital crimes in Afghanistan and Iraq: the wholesale killing of civilians and a contempt for sovereignty and international law.'
What some mere mortals do not want to understand is that WHATEVER the USA decide to do it is LEGAL in their eyes at least! Human rights are but a 'fly in the ointment' as rendition of others has shown - perhaps Julian needs to have a bodyguard funded by the Aust. govt so he doesn't end up drinking plutonium?-laced tea or coffee like the Russian whistleblower. As a child protection officer I whistleblew about a magistrate in NT stitching up an Indigenous family against the law but was told to 'forget about it'. No one incl. the present Indigenous Chief Minister nor PM's have intervened as it would not look good that a magistrate ignored the law and its only one more kid unlawfully removed from his 'approved' extended family - so what? Leave a message John Pilger if you want to learn more?
Posted by Citizens Initiated Action, Friday, 5 February 2016 3:08:09 PM
Hi Misanthrope,

No, not the English embassy (in England ?!) - the Ecuadorian embassy. He entered it voluntarily three years ago and wouldn't come out. He is being detained voluntarily and, it seems somehow, illegally. He can leave the Ecuadorian embassy any time he likes. So, no, he is not clearly being detained.

No, he is most definitely not queer, unless you mean weird, loopy, or psychotic, in which case you may be onto something. No, he is accused of forcing unwanted sexual intercourse onto two young Swedish women, i.e. rape.

No, he will not be sent from Sweden to the US. If the US wanted him extradited, they would have presented a case by now, in England. Why should they wait until he is in Sweden ? Why should Sweden more likely to agree to extradite him to the US than England ? Is the Swedish government more pro-US than the British government ? I don't think so.

No, Misanthrope, he is not a good man, no matter what your lady friend tells you. He is a bit of dog slime.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 5 February 2016 3:11:09 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy