The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > A day of shame > Comments

A day of shame : Comments

By Bruce Haigh, published 27/1/2016

Forget pride, achievement, nationalism and the inevitable mindless jingoism normally associated with Australia Day, Stan Grant has put paid to that.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Once again we have a speech given by a nobody to a bunch of other nobodies with the same tired old rent seeking message.

Yawn!
Posted by Shadow Minister, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 9:34:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
well I thought Bruce's self loathing accompanied by self righteousness would of decreased with the knifing of Abbott. Just goes to show you can be wrong.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 10:17:56 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Things in Australia I am ashamed of:

Bruce Haigh
Malcolm Turnbull
The new Australian of the Year
The people who choose the Australian of the Year each year
Republicans
Our pathetically low expenditure on defence
Guilt-ridden Australians continually telling us what bad people we are, every Australia Day
Posted by ttbn, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 10:56:55 AM
I am obviously a failed leftie, as I cannot understand why I am supposed to feel guilty. However I do know that almost all religions start with the idea that you are guilty, have sinned and need redemption. Would it be simpler if left wing politics was regarded as just another secular religion?

There is another subject that I cannot work out, and which I would ask someone to clarify for me.

That is that we are constantly reminded that the arrival of the First Fleet was an invasion, not a settlement.

Now I know that very little about this subject is rational, and that that is what makes it such fun.

However the rational question is this: If the arrival was an invasion, there must have been a war, and the aboriginals lost.

This makes them a conquered people, who should be satisfied with any treatment they receive short of hanging.

There is a second subject on which I also need help. That is, if the arrival of the First Fleet was wrong, why is the arrival of illegal immigrants right?

To any posters who are awaiting a republic, I would remind them of the small problem that any change has to be approved by the people. They don't seem to appreciate how many people are comforted by the constitutional provisions that provide that the monarch, either directly (Section 59) or through her representatives (Section 64) is standing by, ready to sack, and ready to disallow. We cherish those wonderful days in 1932 and 1975 when the NSW Governor and the Governor-General became displeased, and Jack Lang and Gough Whitlam were wiped like dirty rags. Perhaps the title of Governor-General should be replace by "Prime Ministerial Pisser-Offer in Chief"

This year we are celebrating the centenary of the Conscriprion Referendum, which was the first big battle between the political elite and the people. Unfortunately for the elite it was, and still is, the people who fill out the ballot papers.
Posted by plerdsus, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 11:17:27 AM
G'day there TTBN...

You've said it all, absolutely! I agree with your summation 100%
Posted by o sung wu, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 12:07:53 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What absolute drivel.

90 % of the world's population would not exist today were it not for the huge productivity increases in productivity made possible by the industrial revolution which started with the invention of the steam engine in England in the 18th century.

Without the industrial revolution there would not be the ability to produce transport and deliver the food and shelter necessary to sustain that population.

Without the "invasion" of the white man into Australia the indigenous population would , as they had for 60,000 years prior to 1788, have been unable to get sufficient sustenance, out of the whole continent of Australia, to support a population equal to a couple of Sydney Municipalities.

Anyone suffering from white man guilt does not know his history or is mentally challenged.

the world owes a huge debt to the British Empire.
Posted by Old Man, Wednesday, 27 January 2016 4:35:32 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy