The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why bash so big? > Comments

Why bash so big? : Comments

By David Cusworth, published 12/1/2016

Just why has the Big Bash taken off in the past two years? From humble beginnings it's now compelling viewing, live and on TV.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
I don't know if David Bowie was religious, but he survived Christmas.

"An astronaut's tribute to David Bowie 1947 - 2016" http://gentleseas.blogspot.com.au/2016/01/an-astronauts-tribute-to-david-bowie.htm
Posted by plantagenet, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 3:01:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The Author introduces analogies of religion to what? – then bring in big bash?

“For one, there's no use getting sober if you've got to get drunk again, and of course we all have a drink on Australia Day, if only to prove we aren't wowsers, or terrorists, or whatever is "un-Australian" this month”

R. Australians celebrate Australia Day on an annual basis…the word “terrorist” was not contained in our vocabulary until – well maybe you can provide a time and year as author.

“At this point I must declare a personal interest: February 2 is my son's birthday, as it was for Shakespeare's son, Hamnet; so Bill and I will be raising the wrist on that blessed day when our beamish boys blow out their candles, in spirit at least”

R. My brother was born on 2 February …….I will be lighting a candle in his memory.
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 7:53:17 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
...continued

“But wait, there's more. Mardi Gras, or "Fat Tuesday", when tradition suggests we empty all the treats from the cupboard before the austerity of Lent, falls this year on February 9. It's a religious "Holy Day" just like Christmas.”

R. So what in your opinion is wrong with people celebrating Mardi Gras – they are human beings as much as you and I. Albeit one may have opposing views, they have a right to celebrate.

“In fact, the joys of carnival season in the Catholic world are just a promise of things to come. Suck it in for the 6½ weeks of Lent and it's Easter – chocolate is back in season, family barbecues get another thrash and we all drink a final toast before … Anzac Day … footy … whatever”.

R. Wow you show no respect to any Christian in the above paragraph, Lent – is a personal choice. If a Catholic doesn't follow "lent" God won't come down and "spoil the carnival"? Anzac Day – is a day of respectful remembrance to our fathers, and forefathers who died in any war, in affording Australians (and others) the democracy and lifestyles we now enjoy...or maybe you are so young and don't understand the level of our respect, having come from England.

Football (of any code - or any other sport) – brings people of many cultures of the world together in the joy of sport and unity....it's called "Welcome to Australia".
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 8:09:20 PM
...continued
“Which brings us to cricket.
Just why has the Big Bash taken off in the past two years? From humble beginnings it's now compelling viewing, live and on TV.
There is a theory that cricket itself is a religious game. Eleven men dressed in white – symbol of purity – are ruled over by one man, known in olden days as "noumpere", from the French "non-pareil", meaning "without peer".

So when we crack the first cold one and tune in to the Scorchers, Raiders, Thunder et al, aren't we just giving the kids a modern morality play? And the Boxing Day Test, from the hallowed turf of the MCG; what could be more reverential?
Or maybe, as in time immemorial, we just aren't ready to put out the lights - and the party goes on.”

R. Big Bash Cricket isn’t about “12 men dressed in white” – have you watched the game? Above theory quashed.

If not, maybe it’s time you returned to England and leave us Aussies alone to enjoy the Big Bash under lights with players in “coloured” uniforms, providing much fun and excitement to fans all across Australia, no matter what culture, creed or colour.
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 8:11:15 PM
12 men in white at Lord's. Ashes to ashes, the lord gives and takes.
And the maiden had no delivery yet there was no rest for the wicket.
When the hand was raised, it was time to go in for being out in mysterious ways.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 8:49:40 PM
12 men in white at Lord's. Ashes to ashes, the lord gives and takes.
And the maiden had no delivery yet there was no rest for the wicket.
When the hand was raised, it was time to go in for being out in mysterious ways.
Posted by nicknamenick, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 8:49:40 PM

Response - And the ending to this story being - no mysterious ways. Australia then won the test. Amen
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 12 January 2016 9:16:15 PM
Where does Chris Gayle fit into this religious analogy?

Isn't he King Herod, lavishly throwing his money around, saying any flagrant thing that comes into his head, and scaring all the women and children?
Posted by Dan S de Merengue, Thursday, 14 January 2016 5:30:59 PM
Dan S de Merengue

You say - Where does Chris Gayle fit into this religious analogy?

Isn't he King Herod, lavishly throwing his money around, saying any flagrant thing that comes into his head, and scaring all the women and children?

Response - You brought in the name "Chris Gayle." Chris Gayle is a sports person .....end of analogy.
Posted by SAINTS, Friday, 15 January 2016 2:15:16 PM
Just I am thinking about that. I always liked him
Posted by George1959, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 7:08:46 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
George 1959 - you say - I am thinking about that. I always liked him

Response - And yes, you should continue to like and respect him as a “class” athlete….as we all do.

Sometimes, one must “engage brain first” before one speaks.

He has apologized – end of story/analog
Posted by SAINTS, Tuesday, 26 January 2016 8:09:46 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy