The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'You and me, we sweat and strain': blacks in America and the musical Show Boat > Comments

'You and me, we sweat and strain': blacks in America and the musical Show Boat : Comments

By Peter West, published 7/1/2016

A Civil Rights Act gave citizenship to black people in 1866. But success for the North and the subjugation of the South began a long period of difficult times for people of colour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
'pioneered and built hospital'..da da da..
The Order of the Knights of Saint John of Jerusalem (Latin: Ordo Fratrum Hospitalis Sancti Ioannis), also known as Order of Saint John, Order of Hospitallers, Knights Hospitaller, and the Hospitallers, were among the most famous of the Roman Catholic military orders during the Middle Ages.

. After the conquest of Jerusalem in 1099 during the First Crusade, the organisation became a religious and military order under its own Papal charter, charged with the care and defense of the Holy Land'..
The Lancet is a British Medical Cavalry Monastery for ripping into Muslim hearts and lung cavities.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 8 January 2016 2:47:08 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Some of these people seem not to read the article much at all, but react to what other people say.

Are we talking about religion or atheism, or about a musical and its racial overtones and undertones?
It's a bit bewildering, as the actress said to the bishop.
Posted by Waverley, Friday, 8 January 2016 3:03:26 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
G'day Waverley

We're talking of the fallen creatures (who are religious) and the secular saviors (who we be) naturally matey.

Cheers
Posted by plantagenet, Friday, 8 January 2016 4:05:35 PM
There were many US Presidents who owned slaves. One was Jefferson, who wrote the Declaration of Independence:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

These comments did not apply if you were black, apparently.

Many other Presidents also held slaves, including Washington. And the President of the Confederacy, Andrew Jackson
Posted by Waverley, Saturday, 9 January 2016 4:57:44 PM
Dear Waverley,

George Washington freed his slaves and replaced them with white servants. Virginia law required that slaves to be freed should be taught a means of making a living and provided with sufficient funds so they not be a burden on the state. Washington satisfied those requirements. After he freed his slaves Virginia law was changed so others could not follow his example. Jefferson died improvident so his slaves including those who were his children were sold to pay his debts.

Andrew Jackson was a slave owner, but he was not president of the Confederacy. He was the seventh president of the United States. Jefferson Davis was the president of the Confederacy.
Posted by david f, Saturday, 9 January 2016 5:46:55 PM
Yes I realised my mistake after I posted but I was sure some bright-eyed person would correct it.

For an outsider the double-think in any self respecting President of a free society who owned slaves is staggering. Let alone one who bore children with one of his slaves and those children, I believe, remained as slaves. That was Thomas Jefferson.

Always easier to spot weakness in another country that it is on our own, I suppose.....
Posted by Waverley, Sunday, 10 January 2016 8:45:50 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy