The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > 'You and me, we sweat and strain': blacks in America and the musical Show Boat > Comments

'You and me, we sweat and strain': blacks in America and the musical Show Boat : Comments

By Peter West, published 7/1/2016

A Civil Rights Act gave citizenship to black people in 1866. But success for the North and the subjugation of the South began a long period of difficult times for people of colour.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Hi david f

OLO is blessed to have a fine writer of your experience. I need only turn to my School English curriculum days to recall Laurence Olivier's Othello skits https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tWCe6bW0-Fs .

Olivier was from a past era, like runner.

Happy New Year runner

Your vengeful version of "Christianity" can be relied on. You blame Pacific Islanders for having great-great-grandparents into occasional cannibalism.

Just as you blame young girls, raped by priests, for being so "low" as to want abortions.

Cheers
Posted by plantagenet, Thursday, 7 January 2016 1:03:21 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The ABC bush-band orchestra may do this as a musical, with the battle of Brisbane included for local colour:
Queensland historian reveals World War II cover-up - ABC ...

www.abc.net.au/news/2013-11-22/queensland...war-ii.../5112504

Nov 22, 2013 - A James Cook University historian says it is possible African-American soldiers who rebelled against their white officers in Townsville during ...
Posted by nicknamenick, Thursday, 7 January 2016 3:29:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
'Just as you blame young girls, raped by priests, for being so "low" as to want abortions.'

No plantagenet I blame you regressives for your absolute hatred of truth.
Posted by runner, Thursday, 7 January 2016 4:19:00 PM
There's some common misconceptions about the slave trade.
You might want to firstly make sure you get that story right.
http://www.rense.com/general69/invo.htm

Even though blacks were historically persecuted and used as slaves I think (like other historically persecuted peoples) they have a kind of combined post-traumatic stress within their peoples identity.
I suppose it's reasonable, but I think they sometimes make the problem worse for themselves by turning every issue into a racial debate, fighting from the position of some gaping emotional wound from the past.

I don't support the "Black Lives Matter" mentality or movement, but I do appreciate the message of "All Lives Matter".

Organisations in the US deliberately use the race card in an effort to create civil unrest.
The Southern Poverty Law Center comes to mind.

I've never seen Show Boat, but I don't need a history lesson on the plight of blacks in America to remind me of my own past and the misery whites inflicted upon blacks.
I have my own family history in this country, it's a part of my Australian Heritage.
One of my grandmothers was one of 11 kids in a family that had part indigenous decent and they lived where the Warragamba Dam is today.
Back in the early days there weren't so many white women about and sometimes the working men would seek the company of the indigenous women.
The kids were never registered, and my great grandmother moved around a lot as she feared the kids would be taken from her as happened much during those times.
There's some terrible stories of how indigenous people were treated right here in this country by white people.

The question I wonder though, is whether white people of today are really deserving of the 'white guilt' you're attempting to place upon them by things done by others in the past.

Sure, its good to learn about history and how things came to be the way they are, but I don't think anyone should be held responsible for things that happened before they were born.
Posted by Armchair Critic, Friday, 8 January 2016 7:18:45 AM
But it happens. Welsh people and Scots live the battles and the pommy injustices from way back. Poms say Australians are terrible due to being convicts. People in India go on and on about 2000 year old injustices by invaders ( Europeans). Aboriginal people have it now , Friday the 8th.
Posted by nicknamenick, Friday, 8 January 2016 7:57:30 AM
As far as remembering past wrongs go Christians remember the sufferings of a Jew 2,000 years ago. Other people founded a religion in his name and then persecuted those who kept his religion. Christians hope for his return but might be upset if he did come back. He would still be a Jew and not a Christian.
Posted by david f, Friday, 8 January 2016 9:14:56 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy