The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Suppression of free speech: the real fear of social unrest > Comments

Suppression of free speech: the real fear of social unrest : Comments

By John de Meyrick, published 24/12/2015

The real risk of dividing the community, with respect to the PM, Duncan Lewis and Alan Tudge, is in not allowing for free speech on such issues.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All
Cherful.
Groups like the UPF are not reactionary, they're very much a product of multiculturalism, there were no "White" Australians when I was growing up, nobody used the word to describe themselves, it's the Left who carved us all up into tribes.
Granted the people promoting multiculturalism probably did not intend to create a nativist, identitarian mindset among Whites but it was a forseeable result.
I'll give you one example.
My daughter's high school had one of those diversity training days where a group of otherwise unemployable Lefties come to the school and run workshops and role plays and such.
There was a sort of pep rally at the beginning where the facilitator was asking all the kids from different ethnic groups to jump up and wave their arms in the air or whatever "Now all the Chinese stand up, Well done! Hooray! Now the Italians!" That sort of thing.
My daughter said about half the kids just sat there and the actors, once they'd "included" all the non Anglo kids just moved on to the next part of their programme.

12 year olds ask questions when they come home from such events, filling out the worksheet she was sent home with she asks "What nationality are we Dad?", I answer "Australian" and she frowns and says "No, like my friend Sophie is Greek, Lin is Chinese", "Oh OK, well we're White, my ancestors are Irish, English and German and Mum's half English half Czech.
We "righties" didn't make these stupid rules, we didn't create "Whites" and if we're extreme it's only through taking multiculturalism to it's logical end point, a mosaic of ethnocentric "communities" graded by social class and material wealth.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Sunday, 27 December 2015 6:26:30 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's a conveyor belt of progress. Just before you grew up, Catholics were outside main Australia (as in US before JF Kennedy). So academics lost out on appointments if they had that religion and so on. Italians and Greeks after the war needed to wait a generation before being Oz. Maybe ethnic identity is helpful but has a down side.
The next gen of Muslims evidently are moving on and may pull the outsider activists with them.
Posted by nicknamenick, Sunday, 27 December 2015 6:48:08 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Anyone who thinks we have democracy,is a fool. Central Bankers finance and run our Govts. Unless we have monetary sovereignty,there will be no freedom. He who pays the piper calls the tune.
Posted by Arjay, Sunday, 27 December 2015 7:50:51 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CHERFUL,

you misquoted me, but not to worry. Thereafter, I did not refer to any particular idea (amongst the many) that in my opinion would not stand up to scrutiny - however ..

The present situation as it is in Australia which some view as a multicultural catastrophe (of sorts) cannot be solely attributed to the efforts of the so called left side of politics. Main stream politicians as a whole have all contributed to one degree or another.

But here again, if the majority of people did not want that, then why do the majority of Australians continue to vote as they do?

But then, how many of the alternatives to the mains stream politicians do you see on the ABC Runner? Precious little I would say
Posted by DreamOn, Sunday, 27 December 2015 5:36:46 PM
Nicknamenick,
<Catholic academics could not get jobs in early times in Australia.>

I remember the fundamentalist Catholic mindset in earlier Australia.
Other Christian churches were more moderate.

It was the other way around in my memory. It was well known that there were
Shops and businesses who only employed Catholics.
In fact it was these employers who asked job applicants what your religion was
At job interviews.
Also the Catholics in those times were expected by their families to marry into
The Catholic faith. People also were advised not to marry Catholics because they would be expected to embrace the Catholic faith.
Another example of a fundamentalist religion dividing society up into opposing groups.

Luckily, due to the separation of church and state and the modern thinking of other
Christian churches and the society around them,they moderated some of the more
Oppressive fundamentalist rituals and archaic rules they had.

Also the government ruled it was inappropriate to ask someone what their religion was in a job interview.
Today Catholics and mainstream society happily marry each other, because the Catholic Church fits in with mainstream thinking better than it did in the past.
Although I think the Vatican still adheres to the disallowing of contraception,but
Most of the good Catholics out there disagree with him on that.

Yes the Italians now fit in very well with Australian society. I still wonder though if ever
War did break out between Australia and Italy, what side they would choose to
Fight for. They probably would also admit to a confusing conflict of loyalty
If that happened.
The loyalty to bloodline is very strong in most species and that includes the human
Species. Hence the saying. "Blood is thicker than water"
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 28 December 2015 12:14:48 AM
Dream on

If you meant that iit is a human failing in general to filter everything
Through their own lense or belief system that is frighteningly true.
Posted by CHERFUL, Monday, 28 December 2015 11:06:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy