The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Macho Tony Abbott and the women who ruled him > Comments

Macho Tony Abbott and the women who ruled him : Comments

By Peter West, published 10/12/2015

Many discussions of masculinity, my own included, have pointed out that masculinity has its paradoxes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All
Are you for real Peter West, or are you a 1950's time-traveller?
Certainly I can see why you are obviously lamenting the loss of your 1950's like-minded bloke Tony Abbott. You are missing those good little women of the 50's and prior, that stayed at home and cared for their man as only he allowed them.

To me, Abbott was never 'masculine' as such, but merely a little man trying too hard to be one of the big boys. He never really fitted in with the other blokes in politics either did he? Certainly, it wasn't just Bishop and Credlin who caused his demise at all was it?
As you yourself explained, Abbott didn't need much help to be on the nose with most intelligent voters by the end....he managed to alienate them all by himself.

Bare in mind that the party room that voted him out in the end had very few women in there at all, so you should be blaming all the good old Liberal boys for Abbott's demise.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 11 December 2015 1:31:24 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
The answer may be that Abbott recognised his own difficulties in appealing to women voters, and believed that he could address them by placing two strong women in positions of great influence. Part of the problem was that these women were not representative of women in general. Bishop was a victim of her own sense of entitlement.

But nobody has suggested that Credlin's input made Abbott's decisions worse; in fact the decision to honour Prince Philip was a captain's call made against her advice. If Credlin had been the PM, and Abbott the advisor, they might still be in power.
Posted by Jon J, Friday, 11 December 2015 6:13:16 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Why would anyone think that West is an Abbott sympathiser? The vicious, snarling tone of the article gives away his preference for anyone but. The loyal followers of the "Mad Monk" must be so few by now you could cram them in a telephone box.
As for "bare in mind", perhaps this is some kind of subtle joke? It was Abbott who kept baring his bum cheeks every time he showed off his masculinity in his red speedos. I'm sure all the women in Australia got very excited by the sight.
Posted by Waverley, Friday, 11 December 2015 7:59:04 AM
Captain Col,

'Discuss'

simple fact of hatred Captain. Tony made all the leftist look like utter idiots by stopping the boats which they all claimed was impossible. Several of the haters on this forum had stated many times it was impossible. Tony then scrapped the idiotic breathing tax which again the fools claimed could not be done. Now he speaks the truth on security, the same regressives can only pour scorn again as they have had their multi cultural dogmas proven a failure and outright dangerous. Most grown ups can admit when they are wrong. The leftist can only turn to sarcasim and scorn because they are to pig headed to admit they are wrong. They will continue to justify Islamic killings of police, women beating and multitaltion because in their dirty little narrative this thing does not fit.
Posted by runner, Friday, 11 December 2015 8:50:27 AM
If he was so good Runner, his own party members would never have voted him out.
It had nothing to do with anyone here on the forum, or any of your imaginary 'regressives' or leftists, but had everything to do with himself.

No one cares that he 'stopped the boats' or repealed the carbon tax. In fact, have we all got any benefit at all from losing this carbon tax? Nothing seems to have changed at all!
I believe there was a collective sigh of relief when Abbott was thrown out.
Get over it and move on.
Posted by Suseonline, Friday, 11 December 2015 10:13:10 AM
'
To me, Abbott was never 'masculine' as such, but merely a little man trying too hard to be one of the big boys.'

Hi Susie it seems to me the regreesives like yourself are still obssessed with Abbott. See you again using one standard for yourself and another for others.

Imaging how sexist a man would be if he wrote 'To me Gillard was never feminine, but merely a little confused girl.'

btw Abbott was thrown out because of the self interest of backstabbers like Turnbull, Bishop and MOrrison. As simple as that. You might not of noticed but they are still maintaining all his major policies. Just ask you sister Triggs.
Posted by runner, Friday, 11 December 2015 10:50:49 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. 9
  11. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy