The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > NDIS as a case-study in how not to reform social policy and service delivery > Comments

NDIS as a case-study in how not to reform social policy and service delivery : Comments

By Vern Hughes, published 4/12/2015

$750 million, for example, has been spent to date on ICT systems, none of which will be available for people with disabilities or their families.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
I don't know whers Rh lives, but registration for a mobility scooter which can only be operated on a footpath?
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 4 December 2015 2:40:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
A mobility scooter/motorized wheelchair sometimes needs to use roads, foot paths, bikeways and grass verges.

I think that the registration costs little enough and manageable?

However getting it to a testing station is made almost impossible given the fact we don't have one here anymore and no substitute for folks in my position, where buying from a profit motivated dealer is almost out of the question!

The thing is, after I ride the scooter to where need to go, I can unhook the four wheeled walker off the specifically designed back, with comparative ease and go to the Doctor, the chemist the local supermarket the local air conditioned library during the next heat wave or the pool; whereas if limited to just my car, I have to perform world champion weightlifting with just one arm in order to get the four wheeled walker in and out of the boot, to get where I need to go.

I think our finite health care budget would go twice as far if we just paid for outcomes, not this or that service or patently unnecessary and often inordinately expensive procedure!?

If profit demanding service providers were obliged to wait or vacate the field to not for profit N.G.O.'s, there would be timely outcomes and less incomprehensible waiting? Hopefully occasionally?

The stroke has robbed me of almost everything I used to find some pleasure in!

And when I'm sitting here waiting for weeks for some usually overworked and underappreciated coal face worker to show/bother, my spirits often hit an all time low and I begin to wonder why I bother, particularly trying to explain to a machine or a bureaucrat, ( same diff?) what my problem is or what service I need.

Try talking to a person replacing money saving machine with your speech mangled by a stroke!

There's just one bucket of money and as J.K.J. reasons, if it was all spent tending need. Rather than sky high salaries or very healthy profit margins, there'd likely be a surplus after meeting real unmet need?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 4 December 2015 4:40:42 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Such a dangerous article.
For one thing, the author doesn't cite any sources to back up his assertions. In fact he has been saying much the same for many years, well before the NDIS commenced.
He doesn't quote any actual participant of the scheme, and apparently has not sought the opinion of any. He does not quote any of the reports on the scheme that have relied on actual data. He just offers the same spin, and the same example (Mamre, which is apparently a good enough alternative, but which he was personally involved with) without acknowledging any of the numerous excellent services which have sprung up since the commencement of the NDIS.
As for the ICT cost? Pfft. To use the Medicare analogy. The ICT costs for their online service could have been used to fund a few thousand medical appointments. Instead they have transformed the claiming system from one where individuals need to pay upfront (presuming they have the funds to do so) then make their way to a Medicare office (presuming they have the ability to do so) wait in line and claim the cash back. Which often took hours all up for each appointment. Now we can claim online, or even better, have the cash both deducted and reimbursed in one transaction at the doctors office. Well worth the cost.
Not everything worth doing is paid directly to the individual, many things worth doing are systemic and make it easier for everyone involved.
Posted by NaomiMelb, Sunday, 6 December 2015 9:14:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy