The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Whither Catholicism? > Comments

Whither Catholicism? : Comments

By Peter Bowden, published 23/10/2015

Anthony Fisher, Roman Catholic Archbishop of Sydney suggested

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All
Yuyutsu, they are not 'my laws' are they.
They are the laws of this country.

How do you feel about the story Is Mise told above though?
I know you hate authority and laws, but just looking at the story as another human being, are you comfortable with this scenario?
Posted by Suseonline, Tuesday, 27 October 2015 9:45:25 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Dear Suse,

The country is only subject to the laws of physics, including the derived laws of chemistry, geology, ecology, hydrology, etc. (perhaps metaphysics too, though the later is contentious, so let's not get into it).

The laws you speak about are the laws of a gang who took over this country by force. If you happen to identify with this gang, then these are also your laws.

Regarding the story told by Is Mise, this is obviously not a comfortable scenario and I wouldn't feel comfortable at all there, nor would I do the same (so I sincerely hope) had I been unfortunate enough to be in that situation. Yet who am I to judge her, given that I've done worse things in my life?

Hillel the Elder, the same Rabbi who coined the famous "golden rule" and which some scholars believe that he was Jesus' teacher and inspiration, also said: "Do not judge your fellow until you are in his place." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hillel_the_Elder#Life
Posted by Yuyutsu, Tuesday, 27 October 2015 10:55:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yuyutsu, if you don't abhor this behavior outright then you must condone it at some level.

If you agree to live in this country then you must agree to abide by its rules and laws.
Of course, you can choose not to, but then you will have to agree to pay fines and/or go to jail.
What makes you so special that you feel you are above the law?
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 28 October 2015 12:46:33 AM
Dear Suse,

What you refer to as the "rules and laws of this country" were never in fact laid down by this or by any other country, but by certain bad people, a gang who took it over by force. The planet today is filled with such gangs who divide the earth between them to the extent that no spaces are left in between, it's they who in the case of Australia grabbed a whole continent as if it were their own - but in truth they are the real criminals, the lowest of the low, it's they who weigh on the land and its people, not their victims, the ordinary inhabitants of the land who occasionally and bravely dare not to abide by their brutal decrees.

If you don't abhor this behaviour outright then you must condone it at some level.

We are all special, some just do not realise it yet, while others actively try to make us forget it.
Posted by Yuyutsu, Wednesday, 28 October 2015 2:14:37 AM
Well everyone seems to have gone quiet on this, perhaps previous correspondents are not happy with the author's lying ad hominem attack on John Boehner whom he alleged "....supports the mass shootings in the US."
Come on shew a bit of support for allegations that Boehner is a supporter of cold blooded murder of children; perchance no one read that far.
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 31 October 2015 1:44:35 PM
The author of this piece appears to be an ethisist,

"An ethicist is one whose judgment on ethics and ethical codes has come to be trusted by a specific community, and (importantly) is expressed in some way that makes it possible for others to mimic or approximate that judgement."
https://www.google.com.au/?gws_rd=ssl#q=ethicist

If this is the case then Peter Bowden ought to apologize for his ill judged remark about John Boehner
Posted by Is Mise, Sunday, 1 November 2015 8:58:40 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. 7
  9. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy