The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Zoo Magazine: the latest victim of nanny-state naysayers > Comments

Zoo Magazine: the latest victim of nanny-state naysayers : Comments

By John Slater, published 27/8/2015

But is Zoo Magazine really the festering cesspit of moral turpitude its detractors make it out to be?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Killarney:

"make an effort to learn what feminists mean when they refer to sexualisation."

Yesum.
Posted by phanto, Wednesday, 2 September 2015 10:10:03 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
phanto

'Yesum.'

Are you being ironic? Or have you automatically defaulted to inverse dominator/dominated sarcasm in order to put me in my place?

If so, then you have accidentally proved the very point I've been making my previous comments.
Posted by Killarney, Wednesday, 2 September 2015 8:37:33 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Killarney:

I was simply reflecting back your patronising behaviour.
Posted by phanto, Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:22:18 AM
What are more interesting points is how feminists came to believe that ogling equals exploitation and how ogling could be banned through legislation or social media campaigns. I am sure this has something to do with the blank slate and social construction theories, coupled with some odd sense of justice or non-oppression, that dominates the Humanities and "progressive" circles.

Feminists just don't get it. No matter how much money, time, effort, or propaganda is put into banning ogling, it isn't going to happen. As I stated before, banning ogling is the equivalent of banning womens' periods.
Posted by Aristocrat, Thursday, 3 September 2015 11:32:25 PM
phanto

'I was simply reflecting back your patronising behaviour.'

No. You're going on the offensive in order to avoid having to make an effort to learn the difference between sexualisation and sexuality. You've gone out of your way to humiliate me for making such a suggestion - which is a typical dominator response.

If you don't wish to learn more about the issue of sexualisation - that's fine. But don't pretend that you can take issue with feminists on the issue of sexualisation, when you refuse to make any effort to understand what they mean by it - and behave in hostile ways towards people who suggest you do.

Aristocrat

Collective Shout are not trying to ban Zoo Weekly. They are campaigning to take it out of supermarkets. I would prefer to legislate to have supermarkets and newsagents keep copies of Zoo Weekly (and other magazines like it) behind the counter, so that young children are not exposed to them at eye level - as they are at present.

If you are so imbued with your God-given, normal, natural, healthy macho right to buy and enjoy these magazines, then what is so wrong with purchasing them at the counter?
Posted by Killarney, Friday, 4 September 2015 1:10:48 AM
Killarney:

It is patronising to suggest that only those who have ‘made the effort’ can have worthwhile opinions.

Feminist theories are just theories and not facts. Anyone is entitled to express an opinion about these theories no matter how wide of the mark they may be. If I am wrong then all you need to say is that in your opinion I am wrong. You may or may not choose to point out the error of my ways but what is the purpose of telling me that I should ‘make an effort’. ‘Should’ is an order. I am quite capable of working out what I should and should not do without your input.

If you were genuinely concerned about finding the truth about feminist theories you would be open to finding it anywhere and not just amongst those who have ‘made the effort’. It is one thing to argue against an opinion but quite another to tell someone their opinion has no merit simply because they have not ‘made the effort’.

Perhaps you are afraid that the truth does not lie amongst those who have ‘made the effort’ and so you try and silence them by patronising them.
Posted by phanto, Friday, 4 September 2015 11:50:42 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy