The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > History and Mondo Dolls > Comments

History and Mondo Dolls : Comments

By Valerie Yule, published 20/8/2015

Children and adolescents often complain that history is boring. It is not. It teaches us about our present as well as our past. But it is taught so that it is boring.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All
Loudmouth

You claim that ingroups want to keep outgroups in ignorance by making sure the outgroups don't question the ingroup's position.

Then you make the bizarre claim that I've 'swallowed' their line. How??

I questioned the numerical makeup of the Mondo figures, to question the subliminal ways that history conditions us to value war over peace, royalty over common folk, warriors over workers, men over women - i.e. the ingroup's historical narrative.

By your own intimidatory response to me, one that is designed to mildly rebuke what you declare to be my perceived 'ignorance' and 'gullibility', YOU are the one who is not only swallowing the ingroup's line, but proactively practising it.

jayb

Judging by your earlier posts on this thread, you appear to have a sycophantic preoccupation with royalty, the military and the divine right of powerful men to procreate with as many wives and mistresses as time allows.

So, of course, you need to psychobabble me as some awfully unhappy person simply because I challenged the vicarious fantasies of your particular 'ingroup'.
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 22 August 2015 12:53:02 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Hi Killarney,

I know nothing about Mondo dolls, and care slightly less. As for your advocacy of 'no-nothing for the masses', you wrote:

"If history is boring to young people, then this is probably because: 1. most young people belong to the non-warrior, non-gentry classes, 2. most young people grow up in homes where the breadwinner(s) work in humble jobs for humble wages, and 3. half of all people are women."

i.e. giving 'reasons' why out-groups shouldn't bother themselves with history.

I rest my case.

I'm not suggesting that you are an agent for the upper classes, the in-groups, but to suggest that people should ignore the history of how society has developed is - unwittingly, as I pointed out - to effectively advocate that people stay ignorant. I suspect that the new upper-classes of the Goat Cheese Circle would support you in your disdain for the capacity of the lower orders to understand history.

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Saturday, 22 August 2015 9:24:38 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
"Goat Cheese Circle" of skim milk Latte sippers and solar cell Prius pluggers, that is :)

Poyda
Posted by plantagenet, Saturday, 22 August 2015 11:48:11 AM
Killarney: Judging by your earlier posts on this thread, you appear to have a sycophantic preoccupation with royalty, the military and the divine right of powerful men to procreate with as many wives and mistresses as time allows.

You assume to presume too much & got it wrong again. I simply did my Family Tree on Ancestry. Com. & this is what I have found.

Everybody is descendent from multiple lines of Royalty that's because once the children reach about 4 Generations past Royalty they are then peasants, going down the Social chain & end up as cannon fodder or if the first son or daughter marry back into Royalty & so continue the line. No sycophantic preoccupation at all. It's just research, nothing more, nothing less.

So, of course, you need to psychobabble me as some awfully unhappy person simply because I challenged the vicarious fantasies of your particular 'ingroup'.

That's how you come across in all your posts. As a person who has a big chip on their shoulder about everything. I guess I'm pretty much the opposite. Though I do like to give it to whingers just to amuse myself. I am not a belonger of any in-group or out-group. (belonger, I like that.) Is it that you feel that you are in an out-group that you feel the way you do? Why do you have to belong to a "group" at all? I don't & I'm happy.
Posted by Jayb, Saturday, 22 August 2015 1:51:04 PM
Loudmouth

'... but to suggest that people should ignore the history of how society has developed is - unwittingly, as I pointed out - to effectively advocate that people stay ignorant'

No, that's not at all the point I was making. Much of the history we are taught and the sources it comes from are framed within certain narratives. For example, Australian schoolchildren are deluged with the Anzac history of WWI throughout their school years, but learn next to nothing about the WWI peace movement and opposition to the war.

While our Anzac history is steeped in the strict narrative framework that the Anzacs fought for our freedoms, school children get next to no opportunity to learn about our labour history and the many freedoms we enjoy today as a direct result of it.

History is both a tool for enlightenment and for ignorance. It all depends on who controls the narrative.
Posted by Killarney, Saturday, 22 August 2015 11:55:33 PM
Jayb

If royalty and wars are two of the things that give your puny little life (and your family tree) some meaning, then go for it. However, don't try to kid me or yourself that you are the Happy Little Vegemite you pathetically claim to be.

People who are genuinely happy don't have to keep preaching about how happy they are. And they certainly don't need the psychological fix of browbeating others into believing they are deeply unhappy people for holding certain political views.

Playing the 'you're such an unhappy person' card is cheap, spiteful, lazy and childish. And people who act in cheap, spiteful, lazy and childish ways are seldom motivated by a happy disposition.
Posted by Killarney, Sunday, 23 August 2015 12:00:36 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. 7
  9. 8
  10. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy