The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Foreign students and declining higher education standards > Comments

Foreign students and declining higher education standards : Comments

By Murray Hunter, published 14/8/2015

Academic standards have slipped ever since the influx of massive numbers of foreign students. Higher education is not what it was before.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All
Murray has it right this time. The for-profit factories are turning out drones who know no more than they did when they enrolled - except for hard Left politics, of course. Foreign student? Back door immigration.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 14 August 2015 10:11:27 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Yes! An a problem made even far worse by reported corruption and plagiarism; study assignments/essays/degrees for sale?

Imagine, a so called doctor with insufficient english to actually carry on a conversation with a patient to discover the cause of his/her problem?

And tasked with applying a surgical procedure to fix it? Oops, solly, long kidney?

And that possible example just has to be the tip of the iceberg?

We've patently erred, changing an essential service model that just focused on the best possible outcomes for Australian nationals; to a saleable commodity for the so called service industry!?

Better we went back to an economy exclusively reliant on manufactured export goods!? And after being essentially incorruptible, a change for the better all round?

And you just don't have to be einstein to work out how to do just that with hitherto unimagined success!?

Some years ago a Czechoslovakian film hit the foreign film cinemas, called, Insane.

And in essence, tells a story of a Loony Bin where the inmates have taken over and are running the Asylum. And given the outcomes, probably what is occurring here?

Ying tong, yin tong, piddle li po; ying tong, ying tong, piddle li po, piddle li po! "BOOM"! He shotted me again. Yehe, moan!

Q: I didn't know you could speak chinese!

A: Aha, he,he,he, he's standing in the water; Neither did I!

An extract from the goon show? And appropriate given results?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Friday, 14 August 2015 11:05:47 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
It's not just universities, this starts in year 7, the whole education system is now geared toward training people for work in BS, no skill service jobs. Seriously, the only real skills my 12 year old daughter is learning at school boil down to filling in forms and how to navigate red tape, which to be fair are the meat and bones of most jobs these days.
Smart kids are just switching off and dropping out, by year 10 my older daughter had given up, she entered school in the ACE program for high achievers but after term one in year 11 this year she'd become exasperated with the sheer nonsense she was being taught, signed herself out and went to work full time at a fast food restaurant.
Kids know when they're being lied to, the high school curriculum is a load of garbage, university is a waste of money and the smart ones are taking up the crap service jobs in their mid teens because they rightly sense that's all that will be available to them even if they do complete study. If all you see in your future is working at Mcdonalds or Woolies then it's probably a sensible move to get into that system sooner rather than later.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 14 August 2015 4:18:13 PM
I'm afraid this is not a world inclusive of poor white trash from the south. The education trap is proof!
A sure method of wasting a life, is to send it to school!
Posted by diver dan, Friday, 14 August 2015 9:52:15 PM
Blaming foreign students is racist, a bit like Labors "White Australia Policy". It is the administrators and Uni Profs (Lefties all) who have led the decline.
Posted by McCackie, Saturday, 15 August 2015 9:10:01 AM
Mc Cackie,
The Left have been running the education system since at least the late 60's and until about 15 years ago ran a first rate, first world programme. To cater for Asian students the present diploma mill system has to allow plagiarism, ignore cheating and rely on rote learning and a simplified curriculum due to the biological differences between Asians and Europeans.
Asians don't possess natural empathy, creativity or critical thinking skills, these are uniquely European traits which we need to survive as a group, Asians are different, they have different group survival strategies.
The idea that Asians can succeed in a European styled education system is wishful thinking and based on ignorance, people who think that way really need to educate themselves, it's 2015 not 1945 and a belief in racial equality is unacceptable in this day and age.
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Saturday, 15 August 2015 4:14:41 PM
I agree with a little.... Australian universities have never been high quality, nor does Oz have a good quality system (more credentialled inputs), in my own experience from early 80s, half teaching/lecturing personnel were sub-optimal, and with permanent tenure... for a course costing now $25k p.a.

Almoost coincidentally one can find pockets of 'quality' in universities, TAFE and also the private sector, with the latter having examples of shoddy through to the brilliant (but our quality system cannot discriminate between).

Much international recruitment is about the bottom line from the top, focusing upon sales from markets already developed e.g. China, India etc. easier but compromises diversity, as unis are incapable of marketing for diversity... becomes more about personal survival till retirement (while Oz youth demographics alone cannot support system let alone ageing population).

Like 'immigration, 'international education','international students' etc., 'education agents' not only carry negative connotations (thanks to the white nativist lobby) but the latter are blamed by universities, media etc., yet it is universities who manage agents via vetting and contracts? This is by system of sales targets and demands for aggressive short term promotion and sales (as did Austrade).... then any (negative) results are apportioned to agents, or even students themselves...

Quality management in Oz education, let alone universities, is not well developed, and for fees being charged Oz (and other) students should look at Europe for quality and value, or even better do technical or vocational training for a real skill (you can attend university anytime)
Posted by Andras Smith, Saturday, 15 August 2015 7:42:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Associate Professor Murray Hunter says "Academic standards have slipped ever since the influx of massive numbers of foreign students. Higher education is not what it was before". That may be true at his institution, Universiti Malaysia Perlis < "http://ikom.unimap.edu.my/index.php/staff-directory/academic > , but is not my experience in Australia. Australian academics are respected by the community (look at them all on the TV News) and by students.

The classes I teach have about 25% international students, but this has not resulted in a drop in standards and instead has increased them. This has forced an improvement in the quality of teaching and assessment.

Language proficiency is an issue with international students (and also many domestic students). I give my students small writing exercises early in a course and send those who are having difficulty off for remedial writing classes. Some programs include compulsory "professional communication" courses for all students.

Professor Hunter's proposal for 'special English' in teaching would undermine the value of an Australian university education for international students, who can gain greater proficiency in the use of English for their future workplace. The training of university educators does include advice on the use of language and providing students with additional support, such as glossaries of special terms.

There are incentives for academics to improve teaching methods and there has been considerable experimentation with flipped classrooms, e-leaning and blended learning (I gave up giving "lectures" in 2009 < https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Lecture_2.0#Example_4:_My_last_lecture >). I don't think today's students read less, it is just that academics have a more realistic idea of what students actually do. Some academics have difficulty coping with this new world of metrics and mobiles, but formal training in how to teach helps.

The field of Entrepreneurship (singled out by Professor Hunter) is one in which I believe Australia universities (in particular in Canberra) are making a considerable contribution. Recently I dropped in on the Cambridge University Entrepreneurial School and did not see anything to rival Canberra's blending of university and business at the Canberra Innovation Network (CBRIN): http://blog.highereducationwhisperer.com/2015/04/designing-innovation-course-part-3.html#cbb
Posted by tomw, Monday, 17 August 2015 12:47:20 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy