The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Rent and the commodification of disability support services > Comments

Rent and the commodification of disability support services : Comments

By Peter Gibilisco, published 30/7/2015

John Walsh (PWC) in Disability Expectations - Investing in a Better Life, A Stronger Australia (2011) noted that poverty and disability are very closely linked. 45% of people with disability live in poverty.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All
Well written article and erudite!

Now if only we could get our so called church to exclusively focus on the social injustice issues and lead by example; as opposed to endless pious sanctimonious parsimonious mealy mouthed moralizing?

The world would be a better place and the churches would retain more of their membership!

More power to your pen Sir!

"Inasmuch as you do to the least among you, you also do unto me". Quote unquote.
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Thursday, 30 July 2015 10:37:44 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter I would suggest you keep quiet about how well looked after you are. I know many age pensioners who have at least as much expense to live in their own homes, that they have bought & paid for, without any help. This is before they take maintenance into consideration.

They are doing this on a lower pension rate than you as well. I suggest you research other's position, before bitching about yours.
Posted by Hasbeen, Thursday, 30 July 2015 6:27:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Peter, I think you have a valid point. Whilst the rhetoric of public policy for disabled people is all about community inclusion, citizenship and rights the reality is the exact opposite. Shrinking welfare budgets lead to increased reliance on the principle of user pays that in turn places people in greater poverty and isolation not inclusion. Saying that you are better off than old age pensioners is not a very logical argument either in my opinion, that's like comparing apples and bananas. Keep slaying those neo-liberals with your pen
Posted by Crispy, Friday, 31 July 2015 1:12:26 PM
You cannot compare age pension to DSP they are even granted under a totally different system. The funding of facilities is becoming very complicated with many new rigorous systems and submissions to meet new requirements. When the NDIS hits your area it be a nightmare. Push local member with any luck he/she will actually assist.
Posted by lamp, Wednesday, 5 August 2015 8:49:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy