The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why I won’t be voting for an increase in childcare funding > Comments

Why I won’t be voting for an increase in childcare funding : Comments

By David Leyonhjelm, published 6/7/2015

Over the past decade or so, subsidies for childcare have grown continuously and rapidly to the point where they now pose a real threat to long-term budget sustainability.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
If I ruled the world, I would not allow children in child care under the age of three. I believe that child care for under-threes is institutionalisation and as such is damaging psychologically.
Posted by Louisa, Monday, 6 July 2015 4:16:48 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
David. Totally agree with all you have stated. I have a daughter returning to 'full time' work having had a child. She is in an agony of indecision as she is a medical scientist grade 2 (we call her the 'poo queen'). She is somewhat compelled to return in order to maintain her skill set and not have to go back to 'go' when her child goes to school. Whilst receiving the child care benefit, she has stated that she would be prepared to send him to child care without any subsidy.

75% of my wife's salary went on child care when she needed to go back to work for essentially the same reason (this was at the time of introduction of computers into the work environment). There were no subsidies at that time but I was in a position to care for the family financially.

For single mothers I fully support assistance. The 'over credentialling' and over regulating of the whole industry is both rediculous and a complete fabrication and, whilst loath to use the word 'sustainable', it is a Grecian approach to economics.

Rhrosty, this bloke is worthwhile I am prepared to pay ;)
Posted by Prompete, Monday, 6 July 2015 4:58:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Children are the future - and I find it difficult
to make sweeping generalisation and assumptions
why some mothers chose to send their children
to child-care. I'm sure that it's not a one
size fits all kind of situation. Some women have
no choice. They have to work.

So yes, I shall be voting for an increase in childcare
funding. Because I want children to have decent care
with qualified staff.

Still its a choice for each of us to make.
And the kind of society we want to live in.
To me the choice is evident.
Posted by Foxy, Monday, 6 July 2015 5:02:46 PM
I agree with most of what David has said here but one thing has been glaringly missed.

Every time there is an increase in Child care payments the Childcare places put their prices up more than the Payment increase. Everybody is left even more worse off.

The same thing happened when the "First Home Buyers Loan" went up. So did the price of the houses.
Posted by Jayb, Monday, 6 July 2015 7:54:24 PM
Money to the various State "Child carers" is like meth to ice addicts. Always want more and inflict immense damage while bingeing.
Posted by McCackie, Tuesday, 7 July 2015 4:11:43 PM
Children certainly are the future.
A future of overcrowding and overpopulation, lack of fresh, clean air and water, with standing room only.
If you breed them, feed them.
Posted by ateday, Saturday, 11 July 2015 4:30:11 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy