The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Should natural light in apartments be more tightly regulated? > Comments

Should natural light in apartments be more tightly regulated? : Comments

By Alan Davies, published 19/6/2015

Aren't buyers the best judge of whether they are getting enough light into their unit?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
Interesting and correct, it is up to a purchaser or tenant to be aware of apartment specifications and features (or not).

Further, I'm a little suspicious of the RE media and Oz or 'white nativist'* propaganda industry who encourage people to worship houses on a block while ignoring disadvantages (some related to light, energy, design and construction quality e.g. no tree lines blocking harsh daytime sun).

* The white nativist lobby's tactic is to demonise immigrants etc. indirectly via proxies, just in case anyone thinks they are racist. Accordingly, even apartment living comes into their cross hairs as it's apparently preferred by immigrants, Asians etc.

On the other hand, many educated, media sceptic and supposedly aware peope, living in houses, are able to offer negative views on new CBD apartments, without ever visiting let alone staying in one, e.g. size, light, noise, construction quality, capital gains, body corporate etc.

If buyers or tenants of both houses and apartments are aware of the pros and cons, while having a systematic plan of what fits their needs, then maybe the market will inform others, and there is no need to demonise apartments? (It's not unlike the seemingly nuanced and rehearsed antipathy displayed about football vs ARL/NRL via MSM, i.e. sports codes placed onto the altar of 'Oz identity' vs foreign imports)
Posted by Andras Smith, Sunday, 21 June 2015 7:33:48 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
For once we agree Yuyutsu. Yes I HATE PLANNERS too. I have never yet seen any of their fool plans that did not have disastrous unintended consequences. We need more regulations imposed from on high, like a hole in the head. Come the revolution, planners must be the first lined up against the wall.

I recently had an argument with a pommy planner working in Newcastle NSW, who wanted to force the introduction of double glazing, for god sake. Totally unnecessary in our climate, but yet another thing to impose on the public, by clowns who couldn't add 2 + 2.
Posted by Hasbeen, Sunday, 21 June 2015 10:19:53 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Andras Smith, "I'm a little suspicious of the RE media and Oz or 'white nativist'* propaganda industry who encourage people to worship houses on a block while ignoring disadvantages (some related to light, energy, design and construction quality e.g. no tree lines blocking harsh daytime sun)"

You are inventing a problem to solve and you already have the solution?

I've had a fair bit to do with small developments and I can assure you that the wave of apartment construction in inner city areas is high standard, luxury. They are being snapped up by wealthy achievers and for obvious reasons, lock up and leave for frequent travellers, closeness to amenities and entertainment and so on.

Much of the lower cost unit developments by private investors has been at the request of government and to government standards. There is a lot of creativity and lateral thinking going into low cost housing and that is obvious from the results.

I have never come across any of the prejudice you allege. I reckon it is complete bunkum.
Posted by onthebeach, Sunday, 21 June 2015 10:44:23 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Think you misunderstand, I am an apt. living protagonist, living in one myself 45sq, built 1888 with 80cm thick outer walls, and 15cm supporting walls, with natural light, inside courtyard, annual costs $2k :)

In Australia I could not name a single friend or acquaintance who has expressed any desire to live in an apt, although maybe detached unit, for all the perceived negative reasons that I mentioned, while being quite strongly pro traditional multi bedroomed house and block with bigger mortgage), even if no kids!

When I speak of 'white nativists' I'm speaking in this context of an academic demographer whose 'research' is transmitted by many in media and politics, who has felt free to dismiss apt. living as 'unAustralian'..... especially as apts house international students, Chinese/Asians, 457 temp workers etc.

The same 'expert', described as 'Australia's best demographer' by Bob Carr, while a conservative economics policy academic claimed the same demographer 'has never seen an immigrant he liked'.

I do plan to maybe buy something in Oz, and it will almost definitely be an inner city apt., so best of luck!
Posted by Andras Smith, Monday, 22 June 2015 6:08:22 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//Should natural light in apartments be more tightly regulated?//

Yep. Time to re-introduce window tax. Because the government doesn't interfere with our lives enough and we don't have enough taxes.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Monday, 22 June 2015 6:12:36 PM
Andras Smith, "I do plan to maybe buy something in Oz, and it will almost definitely be an inner city apt., so best of luck!"

Hi and thanks for the reply.

Yes, I agree that the new city apartments offer a nice lifestyle. The social side is developing too.
Posted by onthebeach, Monday, 22 June 2015 7:29:19 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy