The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > How bad is Abbott really? > Comments

How bad is Abbott really? : Comments

By Syd Hickman, published 17/6/2015

Hardly a week goes by without another item of wedge politics delivered by the Prime Minister. It's time to add them up and produce a big picture of the state we are in.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All
I have to admit that I have been a bit disappointed with Abbott but to suggest that Bill Shorten is a credible alternative is wishful thinking.

Hockey's statement on housing was tactless but correct. What alternative does Labor have? The price rise is all about supply, interest rates and market euphoria.

The terrorism laws only apply to dual nationality and won't make anybody stateless, although I don't necessarily agree with it.

Wind power has contributed very little to Australia's reduction in greenhouse gases as they are generally backed up by coal fired power stations.

Shorten's policies on Super are delusional. There are few people with excessive Super balances. Taxing them might create fairness but it won't yield much revenue and will be expensive to collect because so many people have multiple funds.

The current enquiry into union corruption is looking very bad for Bill Shorten. Work Choices, for all its faults, actually achieved better outcomes for workers. It was opposed by Labor because the unions couldn't use extortion to get kick backs.
Posted by Wattle, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 3:09:13 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I've always considered the Labor party, an establisment of petty criminals: And on the other side, the LNP as an establishment of professional criminals. I find no need to change that opinion after reading this article.
Posted by diver dan, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 4:15:44 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
No doubt Syd was one who insisted that it was impossible to stop the boats (which for a totally incompetent Labour party was), to complex to scrap the carbon tax (which for economic vandals makes sense) and to dishonest to face the fact that wind farms need coal and cost a fortune to tax payers. How bad is Abbott? Well compared to Labour/Greens six years of massive spending/debt pretty good actually.
Posted by runner, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 4:27:02 PM
Yes Foxy, and admiral sentiments! If only it could be so!?

And on the subject of Japanese Subs. Aren't skilled workers paid more there? And don't they have to buy our iron ore to make the steel needed?

Can it be they are able to do better than us given our gold plated power system is the biggest cost factor in building any ship, sub or indeed, our world class cars?

And or a tax system that includes an entirely unnecessary 7% impost on the bottom line, just to pay for tax compliance costs!

And why are we settling for diesel powered subs, when we now have to import most of our fuel? (91%)

And at an annual cost of 26 billion? And with just a couple of weeks reserve?

Abbott seems to cling grimly to huge welfare for the rich instruments like Negative gearing, super tax concessions, and family trusts, all of which now function more as onshore tax havens than setting oneself up for retirement/the kid's education!?

For mine, and given the debt and deficit, all government services and benefits, ought to be means tested, if only to insure that our megre funds go to retirees in genuine need, not those who can afford an annual overseas holiday, and at the arm of a one armed bandit the rest of the time!?

Something stinks when we can't afford an NDIS, but can afford super tax concessions, that cost the budget bottom line far more.

And isn't it time, the fight against domestic violence was properly funded!

I mean some 18,00 desperate calls for help from battered wives went unanswered last year, because we just didn't have enough professionals to man the help line?

And exactly what one might expect when ideology and dogma replaces reason and logic/genuine concern and empathy?

I think Abbott is probably a good man, but we'll likely need to see him out of politics, like say Geoff Kennet, to see the man and not the hard nosed polly?
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 7:01:18 PM
I totally agree with the author in that I too would find it scary to go to the next election with Abbott and Hockey at the helm again.

After running a campaign against a decomposing Labour last time, with a promise not to lie to the Australian people, Abbott gives his 'signature policy', the Parental leave scheme, the big flick.

He also promised not to mess with the aged pension, but lied about that too.
He hasn't stopped the boats at all, as they are still setting out to come here, but he is lying again about this Government's involvement in payments to the people smugglers.

How is this crowd any better than the last lot?

If the Nationals were a party on their own, I would vote for them in a flash. At least they made good on their promises to the Western Australian people with their 'Royalty for Regions' payments to so many country towns.
Posted by Suseonline, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 8:15:12 PM
Abbott is pretty bad. The following examples show the "quality" and the "character" of our PM. There are many more appalling examples, but these are some of the lowlights.

October 2007. Tony Abbott as health minister not only refused to see Bernie Banton, a dying man who was campaigning for better treatment for mesothelioma victims - he also insulted him - saying Mr Banton's visit to his office was a "stunt".
"A wheelchair-bound Mr Banton called Mr Abbott a "flea" after the apparent snub yesterday. "I'm absolutely infuriated that this Minister has consistently refused to meet with me," a visibly enraged Mr Banton said.
http://www.news.com.au/news/abbott-phones-in-banton-apology/story-fna7dq6e-1111114764079

Kerry O'Brien interviewing Tony Abbott, May 2010
Tony Abbott: "Sometimes in the heat of discussion, you go a little bit further than you would if it was an absolutely calm, considered, prepared, scripted remark. Which is one of the reasons why the statements that need to be taken as gospel truth is those carefully prepared scripted remarks."
Kerry O'Brien: "One month you say no new tax, the next month you say a $2.7 billion tax. ... But what you are saying is that the public are not going to know one day to the next when you are saying something that is absolutely rock solid and when it's not. Are there two Tony Abbotts? The real Tony Abbott and the Tony Abbott who tailors what he has to say to whatever audience he has in front of him ... We've talked about the time you told the audience in a Victorian country town that the climate change argument was quote "absolute crap". And then you told me later that you were just loose with your language. "It didn't represent my true position" you said. How are we to know when we are hearing your true position and when you are fudging the truth?"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tc5ljcri6Nk

Tony Abbott's "Sh!t Happens" gaff regarding the death of an Australian serviceman in Afghanistan, and 28 seconds of silence that followed when asked about his insensitive remarks. February 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PkHix9Km94
Posted by BJelly, Wednesday, 17 June 2015 11:28:07 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy