The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Is 10 days in Turkey a thing now? > Comments

Is 10 days in Turkey a thing now? : Comments

By Lesley Waker, published 5/6/2015

So why are we all flying so much when most of us are concerned about the effects of climate change?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All
Yes Monday was a holiday, but at my age and one day being the same as any other, I overlooked it! V.L.T? Vertically levitated Train? Or very low totem/very large troglodyte, take your pick. You're such a worry wart about schematics Aidan Amigo?

However, the human mind is just as capable of R.I.R.O!

And electronics was never more than a hobby rather than mainstream income earner.

So what does the magnetron look like?

Anything like the power valve in an xray machine; and something I might recognize, given I've fixed one or two and hand built/fixed a few radios/amplifiers.

My apologies to all at OLO, for not remembering Monday (one day the same as any other) was the Queen's b'day, and therefore as penance for this oversight, am taking the rest of the day off; if only to finish devouring my heaping helping of humble pie.
Cheers, Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Tuesday, 9 June 2015 12:48:22 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
So what does the magnetron look like?
Not much different to the xray valve except they have a metal body
so as to fit the wave guide.
Posted by Bazz, Tuesday, 9 June 2015 4:09:14 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Passenger transporting Zeppelins? Why not! We can use carbon fibre technology, titanium skeletons and spray on solar panels for navigational power.

And we can manufacture helium by passing hydrogen through a silent electrical discharge.

And we can control the height with Kevlar air bags, titanium compression tanks and an inboard compressor, and therefore use favorable wind currents to progress towards the intended destination!

And say at better than 60,000 ft. up, to defeat most of today's surface to air missiles?

Particularly if the available usable jet streams (3-400+ klms P.H.) inadvertently carried one over hostile territory?

Albeit, radar invisibility created by placing a thin film of copper over carbon fibre?

And at that altitude, could something the virtual size of the Q.E.11, Camouflaged as a wispy cloud and keeping pace be visible, even with the best binoculars?

And given solar power, and a water creating dehumidifier/condenser, plus a pantry filled with long life/dehydrated food, able to stay aloft for weeks or months if that was desirable?

And given available usable jet streams, able to compete with jet travel; and without the usual jet fuel bill!

And as described, virtual V.L.T (vertical landing/take off) airships not needing huge runways. Just tethering towers at proscribed destinations?

All the battery packs could be contained in the lower part of the gondola, to take advantage of the centre of gravity as well as the heat they would create, when charging or discharging, and essential at those envisaged altitudes!
Rhrosty.
Posted by Rhrosty, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 1:09:48 PM
'Tis a lot more difficult than that to manufacture helium. Some sort of nuclear process is required. Although it is a natural product of radioactive decay of heavy elements.
Posted by Aidan, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 2:18:56 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
//'Tis a lot more difficult than that to manufacture helium. Some sort of nuclear process is required. Although it is a natural product of radioactive decay of heavy elements.//

Despite being the second most abundant element in the universe, He is scarce on earth. Hydrogen is cheap and easy to produce and gives better lifting power. As long as you have the sense to to ignite the stuff it is the perfect gas to fill your dirigibles with.
Posted by Toni Lavis, Wednesday, 10 June 2015 7:34:57 PM
Kevlar coated with thin copper to avoid being seen by radar ?
Surely a sheet of copper would make a loverly target ?
After all people I know use the bottom of aircraft to communicate
between Sydney and melbourne and Adelaide.
They do the timing to airline timetables.
Posted by Bazz, Thursday, 11 June 2015 3:16:59 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. Page 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy