The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why the execution of Myuran and Andrew matters > Comments

Why the execution of Myuran and Andrew matters : Comments

By Amit Tewari, published 7/5/2015

But what of the attention they received? Was it morally consistent, in world so full of suffering, that we cared about two petty drug smugglers getting shot?

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
FYI - I was placed at a heroin and alcohol rehabilitation centre in my 4th year for 6 months. I've also done 2 rotations on drug and alcohol addiction medicine. So yes, I've seen the other side and have worked on rehabilitation of drug addicts. In either case, that's hardly constructive criticism so I'll opt out of these responses and wait for more engaged criticism -
Posted by Amit Tewari, Friday, 8 May 2015 2:55:20 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amit If you write articles you must expect differences of opinions, please accept that and continue writing, we have all worked in various fields and have our own opinions of what should be or should not be.
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 9 May 2015 10:49:34 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Amit most people are saying that these two drug mules deserve their fate, read comments in daily papers, one suggested they be given a VC and Knighthoods for their role as being criminals, people go to funerals just for idle curiosity, whether it be Prime Minister Malcolm Frazer or the two drug mules, most would not even know them, death is always the biggest question mark in life so curiosity abounds, being a non believer of the soap opera of a funeral where any man can read the bull the same as a parson, it is only a man or woman with collar or no collar and really means nothing, man said only, no proof in anything said.
The media of daily newspapers should regardless of who it is give only one publicity splurge for one day only, then drop it, instead of going on day after day, most people are not interested, if you are, then buy Women's Day, New Idea etc, we the majority of the public are sick to death of reading about these two heavenly criminal guys, also most would say the same about a gold spoon baby or gun happy man of privilege just to prove he can kill people like the Indonesians can.
Perhaps tonight after the TV funeral we can at last move on until the next lot see the dollar sign in the drugs they can sell to a gullible public, even with a noose around their neck by not reading the signs "Death Sentence for Drug Smuggling" so do it cop it.
Posted by Ojnab, Saturday, 9 May 2015 3:10:20 PM
Dr Tewari
I’m at a loss to understand why you are wasting your sympathies on convicted criminals who have roped others into serious crime, irrespective of the punishment the former receive/d.

You are investing in a restaurant when your medical skills are in extremely high demand in emergency wards at hospitals all around the country. You mention domestic violence twice in your article. You mention that a woman is killed every 8 days but let’s not worry about the context in which those murders occur. The important thing is that women are queuing up at casualty and at GP reception desks sporting sun glasses covering black eyes or presenting with contusions resulting from blows with baseball bats lent to their partners by the considerate neighbours living next door. We all agree that wife battering is widespread in Australian society mainly in the cities and not in Walgett.

Battered women would just love to be attended to by an empathetic doctor such as yourself. You could supplement your income by providing counselling services like explaining how easy it is to take out an “ex parte” domestic violence order and ask to examine their children so that they can use your expert opinion when claiming their partners are child sex abusers during FC child custody hearings.
Posted by Roscop, Sunday, 10 May 2015 7:06:08 PM
Dr Tewari has every right to pursue whatever interests he likes. Does anyone suggest that Dr Richard Di Natale should stick to curing the sick? Anyway, Amit has said he will practice medicine. Attacks on his career choices are nasty attempts to play the man, not the argument.

Onjab, you say that “most people are not interested” in the fate of the Bali 2, but the fact they attracted so much media attention and public debate suggest the opposite. You may not be interested, perhaps. Don’t project your own indifference onto others.

The Bali 2 committed a serious crime and deserved to be punished. But the cruelty and violence of their fate, the mental anguish of 10 years on death row, the torment of their families and the cynical theatre of death that the Indonesian authorities orchestrated for public consumption are saddening and sickening
Posted by Rhian, Monday, 11 May 2015 11:52:08 AM
Rhian,

"Dr Tewari has every right to pursue whatever interests he likes." Who said or suggested he didn't have that right? I was just pointing out cynically an inconsistency in concerns over the guilty when compared to totally innocent "battered wife" victims.

Further, your analogy with Dr Di Natale is an extremely poor one, since I understood Di Natale to say to the press, one of his main concerns at the newly elected leader of the Greens is public policy in the area of medicine.

"but the fact they attracted so much media attention and public debate suggest the opposite." That statement is a lot of nonsense. The level of media attention and public debate, per se, does nothing to inform where sympathies lie.

My sympathies go to those close to the Bali2 and the other Bali7 who were talked into the smuggling operation/s and are now serving the prime time of their lives in prison.
Posted by Roscop, Monday, 11 May 2015 1:52:38 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy