The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Why the climate zealots are almost completely wrong > Comments

Why the climate zealots are almost completely wrong : Comments

By John Robertson, published 23/4/2015

Man-made? Yes, Mr President. Man's release of CO2 into the air by burning fossil fuels is a significant factor in current climate change.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Typical Poirot, smug as ever when you see a comment that shoots holes in you climate religion believe system. Sorry to point out your guru Flannery is a fool. Why is it your types see no issue with such a wrong prediction but you'll jump all over anyone who brings it up?

I don't know if your comment was supposed to be a put down, but I'm quite happy to be a man-made global warming sceptic, or hackneyed climate denier in your terminology.
Posted by ConservativeHippie, Saturday, 25 April 2015 7:04:07 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
ConservativeHippie, do you have any evidence that Flannery ever made that claim? It seems very unlikely and quite out of character.

Is Mise and Tally, the Clean Air Act was before my time, but I do remember the London Underground before the smoking ban.

But to say "pollution of any kind is not good" is Rather misleading, because pollution of some kinds is good for some organisms. Indeed it's even good for some ecosystems. There's somewhere where oil (naturally) leaks into the Southern Ocean, and it has a strong positive effect on marine life.
Posted by Aidan, Saturday, 25 April 2015 7:42:35 PM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
I can remember the London Smogs and certainly the last one when I was in Primary School. We were all sent home at two o'clock in the afternoon and visibility was about three metres. After they stopped people burning coal things improved greatly.
There is no need to "Clean up" the environment just stop people making it dirty. The irony here is that the white coated experts with their clipboards and smug attitudes convinced everybody to go diesel. Now apparently the soot in that is causing problems. Why should we trust these over qualified monkeys to get anything right?
My apologies to the actual monkeys, they are lovely and never smug.
Posted by JBowyer, Saturday, 25 April 2015 9:15:57 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
tally,

The Clean Air Act (July, 1956) in England was well within living memory for many of us as it's only 56 years ago. lol.

Aidan,

I wouldn't consider a natural oil leak to be pollution, not in the sense that we usually use the word.
I believe that the levels of BO are also way down compared to what they were in the London Underground in the 1950s and 60s.
Just by way of comparison, I have never smelt BO in the super crowded suburban trains in Mumbai (India)
Posted by Is Mise, Saturday, 25 April 2015 9:50:54 PM
ConservativeHippie,

I was merely referring to your hackneyed rhetoric.

I mean how many times have I heard the same old thing from people around here who pretend to know what they're talking about. Almost nobody on this forum is qualified in any way to speak knowledgeably on the subject of climate science (including the author of this article, it seems) - so what do we get.

We get sentences like this:

"Climate guru Tim Flannery predicted Sydney airport would be under water by 2010. So much for climate projections."

And this:

"How is taxing the air and redistributing wealth going to change the climate?"

And this:

"Don't be suckers, climate change (global warming) is the biggest con since Y2K."

...ad nauseam.

That's all there is...apparently.
Posted by Poirot, Saturday, 25 April 2015 10:20:20 PM
To all commentators supporting Robertson's blog - the time for debate on such views is past.

The world is heading quickly towards strong mitigation and adaptation actions.

That we are causing major change to the world's climate is well and truly beyond debate.

Grow up and become part of the progress towards a future without coal.

It is happening now - the era of the electric car and Tesla batteries is with us.

The demise of the fossil fuel industry is in front of your eyes - should you choose to look
Posted by Tony153, Thursday, 7 May 2015 2:02:34 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. 4
  6. Page 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy