The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > On Anzac Day give peace a go > Comments

On Anzac Day give peace a go : Comments

By Greg Rolles, published 23/4/2015

In just a few days, Australians from all walks of life will get up before dawn on a Saturday morning, brave chilly weather to stand around and remember Australian war dead.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All
Ojnab,

What don't you understand about "I like to think that the UN stepped in because a small country had been unjustly invaded, but then that's only me justifying my own participation."

Note the phrase "....my own participation."

I was in the Royal Australian Regiment from 1953 till 1955 and was on active service in Korea in 3RAR.

I'll say it again National Servicemen/CMF could not be sent overseas, their terms of enlistment precluded it and those terms were a legally binding contract, that is why during the Vietnam War those who were enlisted under the terms that didn't allow service outside Australia had to be given the option of signing new terms or taking a discharge.
Posted by Is Mise, Thursday, 23 April 2015 8:34:58 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Wars are all about making money and expanding the empire. Central Banks finance both sides of our wars and we get taxed to pay them and die for BS. After the wars these multi-national corps get paid again for the rebuild.Ever wonder why the 0.01% own just about everything?

They dropped more bombs on Vietnam than the whole of WW2.The Gulf of Tonkin incident ,the excuse to escalate the war was contrived by the USA.It never happened.
Posted by Arjay, Friday, 24 April 2015 6:26:16 AM
Find out more about this user Visit this user's webpage Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Arjay, yes it's all about expanding the Empire, the last half century that of the CCCP, the Middle Kingdom and the Caliphate. War is one of that little things where it takes only "One to Tango", or as that Luminary of the Left said "..., but war is interested in you" (Leon Trosky).
Posted by McCackie, Friday, 24 April 2015 7:33:17 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
What benefits did the West accrue from the Korean War,
apart from South Korea being free of Communist domination and becoming an economic success and supplying many high quality manufactured goods on the world market?

If it's all about achieving economic advantage, oil etc., I'd like to know.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 24 April 2015 10:11:19 AM
Sorry to have to say this, Greg. But you now have add your piece to your admitted failures. You are probably a decent and sincere bloke, but your responses to my comments - particularly the one claiming that climate change is our greatest threat - just don't cut the mustard. If people really believed that natural events were the greatest threat to them, they would come to the conclusion that life wasn't worth living. You could have saved time by simply rueing the unfortunate necessity of war periodically to prevent truly evil people and doctrines from taking out freedoms away.

Our way of life is worth living and, sadly, we will always have to protect ourselves from those intent on taking it from us.
Posted by ttbn, Friday, 24 April 2015 10:23:13 AM
Is Mise, I beg to differ,
National Servicemen were given the option at call up, to volunteer for any service anywhere overseas if war occurred, most Nasho's volunteered .
The Korean armistice was signed in 1953 and no new threat developed during that decade, so the basic roll of Nasho's, was as reserves, having viewed my roll up call ending in 1959, from Canberra at that time it states nothing about me not going to war.
Having spoken to other Nasho's they also state that we were Menzies war fodder if war increased, mainly Korea.
I do not wish to continue this argument of right or wrong, but being a Nasho meant we were available to be used if need be for the war machine of politicians.
Posted by Ojnab, Friday, 24 April 2015 12:35:50 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. 3
  5. Page 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy