The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > The nature of mercy > Comments

The nature of mercy : Comments

By Michael Jensen, published 2/3/2015

Unlike an Indonesian president, God has no constituency to please; he is not capable of being bullied by Prime Ministers, nor is he open to bribes.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All
It seems that Michael is encouraging readers to consider the profundity of evil/sin, mercy and the work of Jesus Christ. Each of these concepts easily incite anger, as is evident in the above responses.

These responses (including their relative lack of attention to the content of the article) illustrate that these really are important, passion-raising issues to meditate on.

Michael obviously thinks that some grand resolution is provided, involving all three. This is indeed a weighty claim. His piece warrants careful study rather than rash abuse.
Posted by Snick, Monday, 2 March 2015 9:51:36 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
One wonders how long these alleged 'conversions' will last should the prisoners succeed in being released and make their way back to Australia. But it says something about the ongoing decline of Christianity that the only thing which can produce a noteworthy conversion to it now is the imminent threat of death.
Posted by Jon J, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 6:14:45 AM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Snick, I'll just agree with you. I've had altogether enough of trying to hold intelligent discussions on this site, amid the crowds of the proudly ignorant.

JonJ, I think it says a great deal more about people that they flock to proclaim their religious devotion to scientism, when they understand the nature of science even less than the nature of religion.

http://motls.blogspot.com/2015/02/how-science-celebrities-often-hurt.html
Posted by Craig Minns, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 7:50:56 AM
it is clear how dishonest you are David f in the way you represent thye God of Israel. It shows how pitiful your judgement is in the assesment of yourselves and others.
Posted by runner, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 10:27:35 AM
A valuable contribution to the discussion, Craig Minns, thank you.

>>Snick, I'll just agree with you. I've had altogether enough of trying to hold intelligent discussions on this site, amid the crowds of the proudly ignorant.<<

Anger, Snick?

>>It seems that Michael is encouraging readers to consider the profundity of evil/sin, mercy and the work of Jesus Christ. Each of these concepts easily incite anger, as is evident in the above responses.<<

Hardly.

Questioning, certainly. But I didn't spot any anger here. Except for Craig Minns, of course.

Happy to contemplate the profundity of evil. Or "sin", as you call it. It has long been a part of the human condition that resists intelligent analysis, leaving it both open to Socratic enquiry...

http://www.socraticmethod.net/socratic_essay_nature_of_human_evil.htm

...and prey to supernaturalist filmmakers.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/brick-brick/201402/what-does-our-zombie-attraction-say-about-us

Happy also to accept that "the work of Jesus Christ" appeals to a certain percentage of the population, as a focal point for their own version of morality.

But I do not accept that "mercy" is a quality that can be applied to one specific situation, as the author here alleges, when there are plenty of far more deserving cases within the immediate vicinity of these two drug dealers.
Posted by Pericles, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 12:17:24 PM
No anger, "pericles" (a misnomer ever there was one), merely resigned disappointment.

It would be nice to think that those who are able to hold decent conversations were in the majority here, or at least sufficiently numerous that the vast hordes of ignoranti could be themselves ignored.

Since it isn't the case and since you and your fellows are obviously vastly more skilled at the art of meaningless chatter than I am, I can do little but acknowledge the reality of the situation and leave you to your mewling.
Posted by Craig Minns, Tuesday, 3 March 2015 12:53:05 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. 3
  5. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy