The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Fairness as a political principle > Comments

Fairness as a political principle : Comments

By Max Atkinson, published 9/2/2015

Nor, it seems, did the Treasurer ask himself if taxes should be increased on the wealthy before services were cut to the poor - this was ruled out by election promises, as was any increase in the GST.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All
JKJ, would you mind expanding on that (leaving the author's position aside for the moment)?

I'm struggling to grasp your meaning in relation to "fairness", rather than as an expression of libertarianism.
Posted by Craig Minns, Monday, 9 February 2015 1:46:56 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
CM

It's in response to the author's article, so I can't expand on it other than in relation to that.

He hasn't established that there's anything intrinsically "unfair" about the fact that some people have more property than others, which is just another way of saying, that human society exists. There might be; or there might not be. But nothing he has said shows that there is; nor that anything he proposes would be fairer even in terms of his own definition, which he hasn't given. The article talks of fairness as a political "principle"; but the author gives no criterion, other than his own arbitrary opinion, by which anyone could judge whether any given policy is getting closer to, or further away from, the achievement of that principle. Talk of equal respect doesn't answer, because if that entitles everyone to an equal share of what you produce taken under coercion, then it's not equal respect is it?
Posted by Jardine K. Jardine, Monday, 9 February 2015 3:25:54 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Craig I twice walked out of the Mooloolaba yacht club change rooms, after shaving off a few months passage making growth of facial hair, to run into the same friend, who pronounced each time that I "Looked 10 years younger without that beard".

The second time his wife was with him, who said, "yes, much better too". Nothing about good mind you, but better.

Haven't worn one since.
Posted by Hasbeen, Monday, 9 February 2015 3:37:06 PM
Again more references to Tony Abbott's, now abandoned, totally unfair PPL. Well that is the exact scheme Liberal or Labour gave to the Public Service. So which party did that and if so, why, as everyone says it is unfair for a non public servant to get.
Of course it begs the additional question why not save money by getting rid of the PS PPL too?
Does it apply to Politicians by the way?
Questions, questions? Any answers?
Posted by JBowyer, Monday, 9 February 2015 3:38:02 PM
I'm still waiting for an explanation to justify the ruling in Brown v Board of Education. What was wrong with black and white schools each getting the same per capita in funding. It's not as though each school got funding equivalent to 15% whatever of how much all the individual school's parents earnt.
Posted by Edward Carson, Thursday, 12 February 2015 6:39:10 AM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. Page 2
  4. All

About Us :: Search :: Discuss :: Feedback :: Legals :: Privacy