The National Forum   Donate   Your Account   On Line Opinion   Forum   Blogs   Polling   About   
The Forum - On Line Opinion's article discussion area

Syndicate
RSS/XML

RSS 2.0

Main Articles General

Sign In      Register

The Forum > Article Comments > Auschwitz and the wisdom of crowds > Comments

Auschwitz and the wisdom of crowds : Comments

By Mal Fletcher, published 30/1/2015

Marking the liberation of Auschwitz forces us to remember that the general principles undergirding this forlorn place were supported by popular sentiment among some very learned people.

1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All
On looker's if you hadn't come to the conclusion that Jay is a troll then his/her/it's recent post above should put you straight.
Posted by Cobber the hound, Friday, 30 January 2015 2:53:45 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
If anyone is interested in a "Concentration Camp" that was really a POW camp(of the worst kind), just look up 'Andersonville'.

Strangely enough the Commandant there was a German.
Posted by Is Mise, Friday, 30 January 2015 3:14:47 PM
Find out more about this user Recommend this comment for deletion Return to top of page Return to Forum Main Page Copy comment URL to clipboard
Since the 1960s, people have travelled much more than previously. Unfortunately, this does not seem to have had the effect of increasing awareness and understanding of other cultures. In fact, what often happens is that people from affluent countries visit less developed countries and the local people become objectified into a kind of tourist attraction. People return from holidays with photographs of 'the poor being fed', 'the children in the orphanage', 'the local people bathing in the filthy Ganges' etc. Tour companies actually arrange 'orphanage tours' so that tourists can take photographs of children there and then go back to their comfortable Western countries and rave about how "cute" they are. It's all extremely distasteful and is not fostering empathy or understanding at all in my view.
Posted by Louisa, Friday, 30 January 2015 3:22:24 PM
Cobber,
An internet Troll is someone who injects deliberately controversial or off topic material into online discussions to get a rise out of people, I've not responded to the two pages of insults so far tendered as rebuttal of my position.
Do you think it's right that people should regard as unfalsifiable the testimony of proven liars and Nazi confessions obtained via torture?
There's an extensive and in depth discussion on this thread where I've provided numerous links but I notice that only two people have weighed in with a contrary position to my own:
http://forum.onlineopinion.com.au/thread.asp?discussion=6714&page=27

Craig Minns,
Well,indeed.
How are we as 21st century men served by by a dogmatic position on WW2 which is founded on hearsay and confessions obtained by torture?
Holocaust dogma appears in almost every thread on this forum, Holocaust affirmation is also a form of social status signalling and as we can clearly see in this thread, it's used as the basis of in group-out group discrimination.
I'm not even going to try and argue the other dimensions of Holocaust affirmation such as it's role in justifying U.S foreign policy or the relationship between anti racism and capitalist imperialism.

My mind isn't made up on the issue, there's reliable information that the Russians know where the bodies are buried so to speak but Putin closed their archives to outsiders in the late 1990's and since he's intent on cosying up to the Germans I don't think there's any possibility of new information coming to light any time soon.

This U.S Army War College lecture by COL David M. Glantz puts the Soviet-German war in perspective:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Clz27nghIg
Posted by Jay Of Melbourne, Friday, 30 January 2015 3:38:30 PM
It’s a shame this thread has been hijacked by the vile lie of holocaust denial.

Mal’s article raises a couple of interesting points: that the racial theories than underpinned the holocaust were relatively respectable before WW2; and that in milder forms they still are. The comparison with Peter Singer’s utilitarian philosophy springs to mind, a less brutal but similarly graded hierarchy of “life worthy of life”.
Posted by Rhian, Friday, 30 January 2015 5:16:31 PM
JoM,

Your assertion, that " ..... if something cannot be challenged it's usually dogma, not fact", misses the possibility that if something cannot be challenged, it may well be fact. I suppose your task is to explain to yourself where twelve million (not six million) Jews went. Uganda ?

My step-grandfather lost at least seventy of his relatives, siblings, cousins, nieces and nephews, that he could name. After the War, three were left: he'd got his mother out in the early thirties, he had a cousin left in Rumania and a brother who had been fighting with Tito in Bosnia. I'm sure many contributors to OLO could tell you similar stories. Get over it, it happened.

Craig, you're an idiot. Are you in this world at all ?

Joe
Posted by Loudmouth, Friday, 30 January 2015 5:26:39 PM
  1. Pages:
  2. 1
  3. 2
  4. Page 3
  5. 4
  6. 5
  7. 6
  8. ...
  9. 13
  10. 14
  11. 15
  12. All